1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I really loved the food, you must have an amazing stove

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by thinkcooper, Mar 19, 2012.

1. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Grabbed these gems off Gizmodo today:

"A well known New York photographer goes to a socialite party. On his way in the hostess says to him, 'Oh I love your photos, you must have an amazing camera!'. They have dinner and at the end of the night, on his way out, the photographer comments to the hostess, 'I really loved the food, you must have an amazing stove'"

"Having a Leica/Nikon/Canon etc...makes you an owner, not a Photographer..."

I'd love to find an attribution for the first quote, if it indeed was uttered in reality, as opposed to a gadget blog message thread. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 9
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I Like!

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    * snorkle *

(that's me snorting and chuckling at the same time)

4. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Probably the funniest thing I've heard this year! Nice one :)

5. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Great one..:)! Yes unfortunatley the vast majority of people still believe a better camera will automatically make them a better photographer.. I know several people who walk around with the latest and greatest SLR which they proudly show off, yet I still have to see one picture from that same camera that I actually really like, and that is never the camera's fault...:)

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thank u so much. Love it . Thats we have discussed here again and again . Camera is just a tool and if u dont know how to use it then u are a fool.. U won't be a better photographer even its FF Nikon / Canon over which u drool....so just relax and be cool..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    ...but great photographers do tend to have great cameras. Great chefs also tend to have great stoves (or knives at the very least).

8. Bhupinder2002

Great photographers were there before so called GREAT CAMERAS came into existence . I saw a Australian landscape picture book published by Panasonic Australia and most of the shots are from Panny FZ35 . I was shocked what those cameras can do when they r in experienced hands .
    Cheers..

9. What if the chefs reply was, "Yes a four oven claret AGA"?

10. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I had a Minolta (yes, minolta) superzoom and while I may not have particularly "experienced hands", the output from that camera was quite simply inadequate. Images were noisy at base iso and it had no dynamic range whatsoever.

And btw, a lot of cooking is really foolproof if you have good ingredients and the right equipment. It's also exceedingly difficult to make good food if you lack good ingredients or good equipment.

An electric-only stove is like a camera that only outputs jpegs.

11. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Disagree. The very first camera was a great camera because it was way better than not having a camera. The second camera made that first one look crappy. Today's cameras are great. Tomorrow's cameras will make today's cameras look crappy by comparison. Someone who is into photography will always gravitate toward a camera that they like better (again, completely subjective). Even people who are trying to make their photos look old and crappy (*cough* INSTAGRAM *cough*) are doing it because they think it looks "better", or at least different.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I love it!

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    There have always been great photographers, great cameras, better photographers and better cameras.

If you subjectively felt the FZ35 images shocked you ... Imagine what could have been crafted from a FF camera ... Or a 4x5 ...

In a "pro's" hands, better equipment just makes it easier and increases the consistency of capturing the exceptional image(s).

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bhupinder2002

Lol ..I agree that technology keeps on improving but I meant was that someone was able to take out the best out if even a small P&S super zoom where as most of keep on blaming the gear and think that a better camera will make them better photographers. We need to learn , practice to be able to take better pics and changing camera doesn't change anything if we don't change ourselves ..
    Cheers

15. Bhupinder2002

I fully agree Gary , all of us are not pro and all of us not have FF or 4into5 ones . Technology has advanced so much in the last one decade .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    "That's an awesome house, carpenter, you must have some great saws and hammers! I need to buy a great saw and hammer so I can build awesome houses too." ;-)

Good tools make the job easier than poor tools, but the skill of the user is what separates the pros from the wannabes, not the gear.

17. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    "If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time."
    - Robert Doisneau

• Like Like x 1
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    lol ... I like that quote ... pros are paid to do such, maybe not with every release of the shutter, but on every event/assignment.

Gary