I really DON'T understand ebay

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jyc860923, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    So a while ago I posted here in another thread that I bought something, a movie blu-ray to be exact, from a French seller on ebay.

I was wondering at that time why the seller wasn't either shipping the item or contacting me, which was hard enough to understand.

And as the help I got here suggested, I finally had the seller replied, quite thoroughly actually, he got all the info needed and soon marked the item shipped.

So I waited and waited, after the suggested latest date of arrival, I contacted the seller, asking nicely for a tracking number in case I missed it. And as usual there's no reply so I clicked "I didn't receive the item" on ebay some time later to let ebay alert the seller, and again I said I still want the item, just tell me the tracking number.

Very quickly the seller made a refund!

I couldn't understand, so I emailed him again, saying that I will make sure to make the transfer with ebay as soon as I receive the package.

That's what happened, I really don't know what was done wrong, am I being a bad customer?

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    No, not your fault. Some sellers are flaky. But also some sellers are selling so much stuff that I bet they lose track of a bunch of their smaller sales and it isn't until they get an official notice from your action with ebay that they act. Fortunately these sellers are not the norm and most of the ones I have dealt with, even the ones who sell thousands of small items each month, have been positive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    I buy a lot of items through eBay. Very happy with them. But, on occasion you will run into a vendor who is a problem. Most of the time it is just a mistake and they correct.

Earlier this year I ordered several items from different vendors. Two of the vendors the items were never received. Both vendors offered to send again, but the second shipments were never received. I allowed the 30 day price guarantee to lapse waiting on the second shipment, so no refund. I learned to never let the guarantee lapse no matter what. Now I tell the vendor to issue a refund and if the shipment shows up I will pay him.

Since then I had one item not show and the vendor issued a refund. Item never did show. Had another item where the vendor issued a refund and the item eventually showed up. I sent him payment.

Love the 30 day guarantee.

• Like Like x 1
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's 2015, with exception of natural disaster or terrorist attack, there is no excuse not to ship the item next day, period.
    I agree, some sellers act like jerks, but ebay policies provide good protection for buyer and in disputes ebay usually (but not always) take the buyer side.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm a personal seller. I have a life and a real job. I say right on my seller policies that I might take 2-3 days to ship. I do my best, but I'm not going to be late to work or miss a kid's game just to ship out an ebay sale.

Irrelevant to the OP, just took some issues with your "period" and "jerks" comment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I'm seller too and all it takes is to stop at USPS or UPS office and drop off the package - no wait in lines. All shipping labels are sold online and I usually pack the item before it sells.
    Though, most sellers on ebay now are businesses, if they don't have proper workflow - bad for them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I also ship same day or next day (mainly because I live near work and post office) as a personal seller. Just be sure to set up your account to say what your usual turn around time is if it's more than a day, so buyers know what to expect (and ebay scores you and gives you shipping discounts for meeting/exceeding expectations). I am an above standard seller...but also have some flexibility with work. I love that I can buy postage at a 10% discount online and print at the office. NO hassles at USPS.

I've had shipments from China not arrive and got refunds when I contacted the seller. I don't often have problems, but last week had an odd one. I missed out on an Olympus lens at a great price....got a 2nd chance offer the next am and paid immediately after contacting the seller to confirm the situation. He told me the buyer changed his mind, so I paid him. Then an hour later, I get a full refund. Asked why and he said the original buyer decided to buy it (for a mere $2 more than my bid price). I was pretty annoyed and politely told him so. As far as I'm concerned once you make the 2nd offer and it's paid, the deal is done. He should have fully resolved the first buyer or told him sorry it's already been paid for. The seller felt the original buyer still had first right to sale, even after turning it down for some reason. It's not the end of the world though.

At least you got a refund. I'd just keep the $ if you do get it at this point. It might have been automated (and not uncommon?) if he's a high volume seller. There seem to be more issues with international sales. I try to avoid them, but so many categories are just flooded with cheap Chinese sellers now, you almost can't..and some even lie and list their location somewhere in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't own a car, so it's certainly more work for me if I'm shipping by anything except Canada Post, which has an office near me. Need to make a dedicated trip, and a box with padding for a lens or camera is not something I'm casually going to carry with me to work on my bike (that's valuable room I need to be taking up with my medium format camera!)

Just saying, we're all different.

Then again, that's why I've never sold anything on eBay before. Because I find it all a hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    You are assuming that everyone's situation is the same as yours. NOT

• Like Like x 1
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I'm assuming that if someone wants to sell on eBay (Amazon, etc.) then their customers should expect them to follow current common practices of that place - and 90% of sellers ship next or same day now.
    If someone ships only on sunny day or need a ride to post office, they should clearly put this in item description.
    It's not 90's anymore, not even the 00's.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Where you live maybe :)

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can also print postage at home/work and have USPS pick it up at your house/office. Problem solved. I keep a collection of boxes from lens/amazon purchases to reuse and stock up on USPS padded envelopes. Pro tip, you can save 50% on priority mail if your box is small enough to fit in a flat rate envelope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The seller screwed up, that's all. No reflection on you and you shouldn't take this experience as being typical of eBay. I've been on eBay for almost 18 years and have done about 700 transactions, over 100 as a seller. I have had a few bad experiences but probably less than 1%. With the seller protections that eBay has, probably the worst case is what you experienced: hassle but no money lost.

Regarding shipping time, budeny is right. As a buyer I expect the seller to ship the next business day after the auction and am often pleased by seeing a same-day shipment. That is the norm. Sellers who view buyers as an inconvenience and a low priority are, fortunately, rare.

As eBay is increasing pressure on sellers to ship quickly and measuring that by the sellers' posting tracking numbers, one of the rules of Management 101 comes into play: You get what you measure. I am increasingly seeing tracking numbers posted quickly but the shipment not given to the carrier until a day or two later.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As long as I get the product in about a week, I really don't care how long they take to ship it. I try to get my products to buyers in the same amount of time.

I have been selling on eBay since the 90s when you had to exchange money orders and I still have 100% feedback. Fortunately most ebay buyers are not as uptight as you seem to be.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Of course. That's exactly what I do, too. I only go to the post office if it's the rare export shipment. Virtually all of my shipments are made the next business day because I like to end my auctions at 10PM Eastern time to give the left coasters time to get home and bid.

16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Where you live maybe :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    To original poster...I have heard many times on ebay dodgy users sell stuff they don't have at times of cash flow issue's...ie Christmas time.
    They get lots of cash in to paypal account for stuff they don't have ...use the money for something other...after 2 or so weeks and ebay / paypal getting involved,,,they simply refund the money...with charges knocked off...good way of getting short term loans..Some folk will always find another angle thatmost of us dont see

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Well, my point is that many ebay sellers may face issues that are not even considered by those who live in a 1st world urban environment. Some things around here: limited post office hours and rural pick-up. UPS, DSL and Fedex limited or handled by sub-contractors. (Fedex? Leave it in a certain corner of the waiting room at the air terminal) Power outages (last week) and spotty or no cell service and slow internet. Any of which may thwart best intentions. And one seller I was getting concerned about turns out had a heath emergency. I have learned to be patient...within reason.

• Like Like x 1
  19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sounds like an OWT to me. Can you cite a news story or other reference where this notion appears?

20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Seller can put the order handling time in item description and shoot a message to buyer for unforeseen delays - it takes little time, but goes long way in appreciation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1