I ran into an unfriendly Canakon user yesterday

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Fred S
    I was taking pictures of a GBH at a good 100 yards with my EM-10 and 75-300 minding my own business.
    He sees my gear and right away starts crapping on Olympus
    He claims they are a lousy cameras . Full frame is the only way to go
    I said with the 2X crop I am shooting 600 mm . My camera and lens weighs less than 2 lbs
    and it set me back $ 1000.00 New
    So you are shooting at 300mm , your gear weight 5 lbs and costs $ 2500.00
    Did you know Its not the camera . If you knew what you are doing you would not have a problem with any camera.
    He mutter and walked away
    Some people :eek:
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Regardless of whether it's photo gear or whatever other material possessions, I don't really understand why some people feel compelled to sh*t on others. Although I've never had anyone make a rude comment to me about my choice in camera gear, I do often get asked why I'm not shooting a DSLR from DSLR shooters. My reply is always, "Been there, done that, both APS-C and FF and the cameras I currently shoot with suits my needs far more than any DSLR would."

As an aside, I know that some photographers snicker at people with selfie sticks but keep in mind that for those people with selfie sticks, that is what suits them and that's perfectly fine IMO. I was out shooting earlier today and aside from a few DSLR shooters, there were far more people with smartphones, selfie sticks and mega-zoom compacts. I did see one guy with a Lumix G series.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Aahh I had something very similar happen to me once when I took my camera into a fish store to take photos of corals - actually ended up being kind of funny, because after about a minute it became clear that this was basically all stuff some guy teaching photography (badly :p) had told them and they had only partly understood, but this was no obstacle to the wisdom being delivered in the most condescending possible manner. To show me a "real camera" the lady whipped out her several year old Rebel and while showing all the fantastic things it could do they eventually got to features like being able to record video as well as take photos, and the fantastic collection of filters and close up lenses they got from ebay, 10 of them for only 50 dollars. That's how you shop smart for camera stuff. Too bad I got scammed buying olympus :(

Can I mention the bit where all the photos they post on the store's facebook taken with this camera are terrible and basically have everything wrong you can do shooting fish going on simultaneously (shot at an angle to the water and glass, no adjustment for WB, bad metering, etc). They were very sure I would never get anything trying to take photos of the tanks without a tripod and with the pumps on but strangely I never heard from them about anything to do with cameras ever again after I sent them the pictures :p
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I been fortunate, the only comments I've gotten on my EP5 are "what a beautiful camera" what type is it?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I got similar comments about my Fuji x10 and I have to say that was the best comment about my gear I've ever heard. Mostly I got asked why not shooting a DSLR, and I usually enjoyed the look on their face when they heard me saying "DSLRs are just not good enough":rofl:

And I really need that to silence them
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Having attended a photo course yesterday I appeared to be a virtual island amongst a sea of Canon and Nikon users. Although they did not at any stage try to make me feel inferior with my mirrorless camera, I have to admit the results from FF were rather special when compared against mine on the big screen. No one was bold enough to use a mobile-phone-camera! Now that may have caused consternation.
    I'm not sure whether a 5D II or III would up my game, or is it a case of a bad workman blames his tools!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wow, that's a new low for a Canikon user in public... Did he forget it wasn't the internet?

Most of the time, those individuals are more know-nothings than anything else. Yesterday in the electronics section of Fred Meyer some people were looking at a couple of Nikons (D3200 and D3300) and the clerk didn't really know anything either. I had to try really hard not to butt in when the conversation took this turn: "what's ISO?"
    "I think it's resolution? This one has higher resolution... Right?"
    Store clerk: "Well, the resolution on both is 1080P."

I had to walk away.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Great point. No one needs to be mocked for their choice of gear.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    It was not about being Canikon user, it was about him being unconfident about his gear or his skills...or his life in general.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like you just met a moron and not a real photo enthusiast. I shoot FF, M43 and APS-C and all have their advantages.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Now the majority shoots with a smartphone. In 2 years they will shoot with their watch, next using a ring on their finger or in their ears. The term 'camera' will be obsolete in - wild guess - 5 years time. For the majority, that is.
  12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    I have also been very fortunate that no one has ever came to bother me with my equipment including full framers. I sometimes get kudos for my equipment and the shock of the body of work I could present that are just as good as the top brands when I participated in meetup groups. They usually say along the lines like -- I didn't know Olympus could do this!?! Most people who are afraid to invest in Olympus equipment was due to the financial scandal they had years back. They didn't want to invest in Olympus because they thought the company was bankrupt. Again, what happens on the internet are mostly untrue.

Having said that, I get approached by a number of full framers asking me for advise and thoughts about the Olympus system and this is one true SAD story.

One day as I was doing one of my photo experiments with my E-P5 equipped with the JB Design grip and VF4 viewfinder, an older gentleman with a very current model full frame Canon came to greet me. He thought I was shooting with an E-M1. Nonetheless he was seriously looking to trade in his entire Canon full frame for an E-M1, but was afraid that he would upset his photo club, his full frame buddies and his full frame friends in the forum. He clearly wanted an E-M1, but he told me that if he ever switched to an E-M1, his full frame buddies would ex-communicate him.

So I basically told him this. You are a grown up man and you have the right to make your own choices in regards to equipment. Your friends have no right to tell you what to do nor threaten you with loss of friendship if you switch. It's funny how he continued trying to defend his full frame bodies and not wanting to loose his friends. The reason for the switch was that he suffered a severe injury with back and wrist pain. So carrying full frame gear became a chore. The doctor even told him to quit photography because of the weight. Despite he has a solution to continue his passion in photography, he would rather suffer in pain and keep his relationship with his friends rather than looking out for himself and his health.

I suspected that he just wanted to talk with someone who can clearly see some senses. A camera is just a tool when you can clearly come to your own senses. People who don't usually do will eventually quit photography in the not so distant future because they always believe that equipment dictates their quality of work NOT the content in the photos and boredom will tire them out and leave the nice cameras in the cupboard somewhere as they pursue a different hobby/interest.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Very good! A visual demonstration of your photographic equipment and skills and the results you achieve are the only way you can discourage and battle such prejudices. I get the same from riders of Harley Davidson motorcycles who look at my Honda Magna motorcycle with distain. One good twist of the throttle usually settles that argument but there are some who have to take the course several times before they learn their lesson. Just get your photographic work out there and let it speak for itself. If they persist smile and tell them you will be at the local book store on a certain date if they would like a signed copy of you latest photographic book. Then just walk away. That usually shuts them up.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Lol, that was my exact thought, and likely what I would have said to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've not had anyone crap on my gear in public. I often just use an E-M5 with a prime and have had several folks ask if it was a film camera. I also signed up for a photography class through REI. Mostly Canon and Nikon slrs. We're doing the introductions and the instructor looked at my camera and asked if it was an E-M5. Then said he needed to talk with me after class because he was really interested in buying one. Any potential Canikon bullies probably decided this was not the time. There was a woman who was talking about how much better Canon was than Nikon much of the day.
  16. Unfortunately, equipment snobs show up in many techie related interests. They seem to suffer from feelings of inadequacy..so they always go the "biggest and baddest" route..even though they may not really know what their doing. But it makes them feel good..especially when they can foist their superiority over someone else. My recommendation for him is to get to the nearest hospital and get an emergency cranianalectomy and get some immediate relief. Like so many other things in life..it isn't what you have but how you use it. Hopefully the surgery will open up some brain cells and with time he'll come to that conclusion. As a side note..probably the most common comment I've fielded when carrying the M10 is "Oh, you're shooting film!"..to which I chuckle and show them the LCD panel and watch a perplexed look come over their face.
  17. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Fred S
    Sorry for the vent
    I have been shooting for 5 years, and this is a first for me . I still can't believe these people exist
    but now I know they do
    Most photographers I have met are VERY nice .
    • Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I never understand this. It seems so obviously childish and insecure. And I ride a Harley-Davidson.:biggrin:
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Full frame does have advantages, that is for sure. But with every gain there is a cost. I know wedding 'togs whose styles would require them to use a full frame sensor, with very fast glass (1.2 and 1.4 primes), seeing as razor thin DOF dictates their style. Nothing wrong with that, and it seems to be working for them, as they are constantly booked, so good for them.

I'd also argue that FF is better suited to ultra-wide angle photography, seeing as I find that a lot of wide angle m43 lenses have a lot of distortions that are corrected. Less distortion means a better image.

This doesn't mean M43 can't perform very well in either of these roles though, I know at least one wedding photographer on this site using M43 exclusively, and his images are beautiful. I'm also looking to pick up a 7-14 Pro at some stage, a lens that gives fantastic results, despite any possible native distortion that is camera corrected.

Full frame will also perform better at hi-ISO, given sensor tech from similar generations of gear. M43 will be lighter, smaller, give you greater "reach" thanks to the crop factor, and has benefits to many specific areas of photography (travel and scuba, for example - my primary reasons for going from EOS to M43).

Shoot with the gear that suits you best, it's pretty much that simple.

Pppffffttt... BIg, heavy, underpowered and poor handling... You should ditch that piece of junk and buy a Japanese sports bike! It's a far better motorcycle!

OK, I kid, I kid! Pretty much the same silly chest beating goes on in just about everything, these days...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Also, choose your gear based on what you want to shoot.

Had an amusing example of this lately. Parents of a friend of my daughter have bought a new camera. Partly for an upcoming holiday, but also it had to have "sport mode" (their words) so they could take photos of their daughter figure skating. I haven't seen this camera, all I have heard is it is red! (ask my wife what car she drives - it is blue!)
    Anyway, we got a copy of some figure skating photos from a recent competition - all JPEGs and all somewhat noisy. Allowing for the fact it was the daughter that took the photos (point and push shutter button till the card fills up!) I had a chuckle when I looked at EXIF - Nikon D3300 with 55-200mm F/4-5.6. For indoor action photos, with dubious lighting, there is only so much one can achieve with "sport mode".
    • Like Like x 3