1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I.R. with unmodified OM-D EM5

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by janneman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Yesss! The OM-D has a rather relaxed IR filter, which means you can actually screw on an I.R. filter and get results. At ISO 200 I needed a tripod with shutter speed 1 or 2 seconds, but I could do hand held with ISO 800 and 3200. If nothing else, those high ISO's allow me to take a test shot to see if it is worthwhile to get the tripod out. I used a Travor 720 nm filter.

web-x-O-3697_08-Mar-2013.

web-O-3677_08-Mar-2013.

• Like Like x 7
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Fantastic Janneman! Now tell us what filters you used for the above shots (did you use the 720 for both of them - if so, you must have desaturated #2)? But before I leave the subject: was it difficult focusing in the decreased light (I assume you had to manually focus)?

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice shots! I have an r72 filter, but tend not to use it too much on my G5..not very viable to use handheld, I imagine the OMD with its stabilization is better suited for it.

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I used the same 720 filter for both, indeed desaturated the black and white one.

Colour is more or less a free choice in IR photography, since all other wavelength (=colour) except IR is eradicated by the IR filter. I use Photoshop for the PP, and there is an almost endless space for experimenting. Filling out each channel (RGB) in levels, playing with hue, selective colour...

AF worked fine in most cases, although I did move the focus point to tree tops or other high contrast area's.

The hand held shots (the black and white here) was at ISO 800, 1/6 sec and f 2.8. So yes, IBIS to the rescue!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I really like that first one.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the detail Janneman. I've ordered 720nm filters for my Olympii... Can't wait it start using it for that. My poor Nikon may go unused!

7. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Beautiful shots! Did you try this with other µ4/3 cameras, or is the OM-D your first?

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Very nice discovery and photos!

9. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I only have the OM-D to try, sorry. This was the camera that lured me into M43, together with the 12 and 45 mm...

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Once I get my filters, I'll be trying them on both the OM-D and the E-PL5. What Janneman did on his OM-D looks a lot like the response I get on my D5000IR (also with a 720nm filter).