I Officially Joined The Family

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, May 23, 2012.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Just called ********** and placed my order for the OMD-E-M5 along with the grip and FL-300R flash as well as an extra battery, lens hood and extended eyepiece. Next week after I get a bit more $$ I'll add the M Zuiko 75-300 and 45mm f1.8 lenses. For my style of shooting this will do for now. I hope to have it by the next 2 weeks according to their schedule of shipments. The wait is tough. Do they have the manual for this thing online? If so at least I could do some homework in the mean time. :whoo:

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    You can download it here from the Olympus.be website :

Olympus - Handleidingen

Just change the "talen" to English :biggrin:

C U,
    Rafael

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    While your move from :43: to NEX/Nikon and back belies your username, your commitment to this new purchase certainly doesn't. I hope that in the E-M5 you find the perfect camera for you.

You mention your "shooting style"...care to elaborate? What kind of subjects do you prefer? Are you planning on using the E-M5 professionally?

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'll take it most of the ribbing about my nickname is in fun. I actually AM quite decisive. I've also been in sales for most of my professional career (about 42 years) so am well healed in understanding the mentality behind peoples desires to purchase a given product (or not). My decisions are based in THIS case largely on surgery I underwent over a year ago. I had shoulder reconstruction surgery and also have bad knees and a bad back. Lugging larger gear had become a real trial. I utilized the Mft cameras to supplement my pro DSLR gear well over a year ago so for me my last venture into Mft was more for a travel companion than a serious photographic tool.

For "fun" I did landscapes for $$ professionally I did weddings/events and portrait work. I started out in 2000 with Pro Canon bodies switching over to Nikon with the D200 series and stuck with Nikon. In the last year I dabbled into the NEX products and while I found them quite nice indeed, their "native" lens selections were highly limited. I'm NOT into the legacy thing sorry. Also with their propensity to overheat in video mode I got tired of it.

I was just on the cusp of considering the NEX-7 when the OMD came on the scene. I salivated plenty wondering if it could be all it was touted to be. I was concerned it would disappoint as the GH-2 did when it was released (no it didn't impress me other than the video). I finally got my day to do a hands on last week and that iced it for me. Even with just the kit 12-50 lens I was just smitten. It did everything right I would require. And in a svelte size and weight. I had already done so much research on the lens selection that for my use would not be a difficult decision. So I got it all ordered and now await it's arrival. I am not one that vacillates back and forth. My main gear was pretty much always top Nikon gear, but as I already explained that had to go. Just wanted to clear up my motivations:rolleyes:

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My light jab at your username was definitely meant in fun, so I'm glad you took it that way. Glad to have you back in the :43: fold. :smile:

Sorry to hear about your health problems, but it sounds like you are now on the mend. Are you planning to continue doing the portrait or wedding work with the E-M5, or is this purely a hobby for you now?

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Portrait work DEFINITELY but the weddings are a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned. I had a good time doing several but most were a pain where the sun don't shine if ya know what I mean. Between issues with the mothers in law and rounding people up as planned it wasn't always a good time. I had a few real nice one's to remember where it all went as planned and the food was GREAT:wink: The portrait work will likely be done with that 45mm f1.8. I love landscapes but don't want to invest in that 12mm as that is just over the top in $$. Considering my average print is between 13x19 and 22x17 the kit lens should be just fine. I'm going to get more familiar with using the remote triggering of the FL-600R from the kit flash as I saw it demoed and it was impressive as well. The rep at the show i attended who set the camera up had it where there was literally NO blackout when shooting. I was quite impressed. After slapping on a 75-300 I was astounded that even indoors handheld I could read bar code labels on boxes on shelves across this entire store. It was crazy how well the IBIS works. since I live in a mountainous area I'm looking forward to perhaps capturing some wildlife as well. Frankly I totally forgot I was looking at a EVF when I used the OMD that day it was THAT good. My hand wasn't even touching the lugs which were reported as an issue. I didn't think I would bother but was surprised how much I enjoyed using the power zoom, as it is so smooth and precise. I think they did a fine job on the design of this camera. Can't wait to give it the run through.