1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I notice there are several ebooks on the NIK tools on Amazon

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GBarrington, Jun 29, 2016.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

My experience with technical ebooks on Amazon has been 'spotty' even if I use the most generous of terms. Has anyone encountered any that they found particularly useful? I'm most interested in learning about the NIK sharpening tools.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What's wrong with youtube? It's free, plus there are actual live visuals and demonstrations of what to do, compared to text and a static image in a book.

FWIW, I've never bought one of these instructional books before for a camera. I've simply browsed the internet, read reviews and forums to pick up on how to set up my camera. So far, I'd say it's worked well for me.

3. GBarrington

I don't like videos, I learn better from words and pictures on a page. Everyone is different in this regard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    No worries, it was just a suggestion. I've seen some very good youtube video tutorials on the Nik Suite, which I watched after downloading them once they became free.

I hope you find a comprehensive book that is worth the money, and not end up reading one that's rubbish and didn't teach you a whole lot.

5. GBarrington

Does anyone know anything about Robin Whalley, the author of the books I've been looking at? I went ahead and bought his NIK sharpening book considering it was only $4 USD.

It appears at least some of the sample photos are shot with an E-M5, so it might be he is one of us (that is, a 4/3s and/or an m43s user). I haven't really gotten too far into the book, I'm at the point where he is explaining why there are two sharpening tools and when one might use one over the other. So far, his comments seem reasonable and well explained. I'll do a formal review after reading and practicing a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Looking forward to your review.