I need some help with old film camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by greye05, Aug 31, 2012.

1. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Hello, my uncle gave me a ricoh xr-p muilti-program with a rikenon p 28mm f2.8 and it seems to be in very good conditions. So today i bought some batteries and put the on but the mirror is stuck up or jam? I tried to fire it but it wont the mirror is up and it will not go down.

Any suggestion or help.
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    See if it is in B mode? Don't know that body.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Many 35mm SLR's had a mirror lock lever, look for something on the body you can turn.

The black lever above the silver self timer is the mirror-lock lever.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The kyphoto forum is good for these queries

The Classic Camera Repair Forum: How do I un-jam my Ricoh XR500?

Does it work properly in bulb mode (ie hold the mirror up until you release the shutter) ? If it returns then its probably battery or the electronics (most bulb modes are fully manual). If it doesn't return it could be mechanical or something like sticky foam.

Good luck !
  5. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    I don't wish to be bearer of bad news but this is a common problem on this model. parts of the shutter mechanism break down with age and cause the mechanism to jam. If you are desperate to use it then it may be repairable, but the costs may be more than the body is worth.
  6. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    I tried bulb mode but it does not come down and the film re-winder seems to be stuck to. I think i might be better of buying a new mayima with m42 mount they are cheap and good.
    But thx everyone
  7. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Sorry to hear that. I love old cameras. I have a couple of OM's, a very old Voightlander, my grandfather's Minolta RF and brownie. Nothing special, but fun to tinker with and use. It always makes me sad when one of mine or sby else's goes into that dreaded "cost more to fix than to buy an xxxxx." :(
  8. greye05

greye05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    I know the feeling but I'l probably buy a new one with good lens and use it on my G1 to.
  9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Did you clean the battery contacts? You can use an eraser. The mirror being up s not a good sign as mirror return is usually automatic and mechanical.
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's a common problem with older cameras. I have a box full of dead bodies with their mirrors stuck up. It can be a variety of problems. Mechanical or electrical on newer film cameras. If mechnical, it's generally just a lube issue.