1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I need some help deciding between GX8 and X-pro2, including GX8 Monochrome Modes.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Akashi, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Hi,

After selling my E-M1 while I still could get some cash for it, I am desperately trying to decide which camera to replace it with. First, why did I sell E-M1? I sold it because I won´t buy the 300 f4 due to high cost and because I want a "smarter" looking camera - for the lack of a better word. I want little better video (1080p 60fps not necessarily 4k). I like the swivel screen of GX8 and the "Rangefinder" look. The 100-400 is within financial range and looks good. I also have some other m43 lenses, so it makes sense to stay with m43.

X-Pro2 looks soooo good. I like the dials and that I need to turn the aparture ring when shooting (Like on my PanaLeica 15 mm 1.7). I like the bigger sensor with the higher low light capabilities and I like the Monochrome modes and film simulation modes. The 100-400 Fuji is the same price as panasonic, so affordable down the line. But switching to Fuji is must more costly. The camera costs twice as much as GX8 and THEN I have to buy lenses. If I was 100% sure I would like it, I would do this though. But of course, without trying it is hard to tell.

What worries me with GX8 is low light capability. The E-M1 was not great and I do not suspect the GX8 is much better. Iso 1600 is max with m43 for me. I also shoots jpegs - so how it is processed matters. Fuji has a good reputation here. I shoot much BW or monochrome so this mode matters. Fuji seems to have this down well, I am more unsure of GX8. I have a GM1, but the art filters for high contrast BW is sluggish and that is the only BW mode I like on GM1. I think GX8 is going to be similar.

X-Pro2 has "not great" video and although this is not what ultimately decides it for me, it matters somewhat. If the video 60fps is similar to E-M1, I could live with it. No swivel screen is a bummer and I doubt the AF capabilities. Fuji has a tainted reputation in that department.

So what am I looking for? Someone to tell me to buy on or the other? Not sure but if someone could inform me on the GX8 Monochrome modes (same as GM1 or new ones), IQ quality - especially high iso above 1600 - love links or pictures - or comparable tests between GX8 and X-Pro2? Is Fuji generally a better system, albeit a bit bigger and slower, or is much of this rambling just GAS? I appreciate all input, also people just voicing their opinion.

Sorry for the long post. I also crossposted this in the Fuji Forums.

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    What other lenses do you have/use for the m43 system that you would want/need to replicate with the Fuji system if you went that way? I've used both systems and they shoot very differently in my opinion. For personal use I'm quite happy with my Fuji X100T, but I wouldn't want to use it for quickly paced or high pressure shoots as I find it distinctly slower (both in AF and in quickly accessing/changing camera settings).

Unless you will use the OVF (which you won't with a 100-400mm lens) I don't see much advantage in buying the X-Pro2 over the X-T1. Yes it is a new sensor and yes the ACROS film simulation is all the rage at the moment, but the Fuji JPEG engine for monochrome with the various colored filters is quite good and configurable as it is, even on the older Fuji cameras.

As far as lower noise goes, after using both systems, I'm one of those that believes that Fuji inflates in ISO values so that while yes, the APSC sensor gives better high ISO performance it isn't as much as you might think. Also, the high-ISO JPEGs suffer from some significant smoothing, especially if you shoot photos of people at ISO3200 and above. The XPro-2 does offer more control over noise reduction, but I haven't seen enough regarding how it performs to make an assessment compared to the other X-Series cameras.

If you shoot a lot of video and professional video features and quality matter to you, I really wouldn't even consider Fuji at this point - though they are getting better.

If I were you, I would look at what it would cost you in body+lens costs to get a Fuji X-Pro2 system that would compare to what you had and used with your E-M1 and then decide how much your images would improve with the Fuji system. Only you can decide whether its worth it to you, but the Fuji system (and especially the OVF cameras) suit a very specific type of photographer in my opinion. I've bounced around between systems for the past several years - from full frame Canon, to Fuji APSC, to m43 - only recently settling on m43 for my interchangeable lens system. As you know, It can get expensive to change systems and the grass isn't always as green and you may have thought it was.

One thing I will say for absolute certain is that I would definitely NOT switch without trying the Fuji camera first for more than just a few minutes in a shop. If you're looking at investing a lot in a new system, its worth it to spend a little money and rent a camera for at least a weekend and shoot with it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thank you very much for your inputs. It was very informative actually. Particularly the part with smoothing out faces at high iso. I tried the X-T1 once for a few shots and I found that faces where strange, for the lack of a better word. Might be what you described.

I have the PanaLeica 15 mmm 1.7, which I love to use and the awesome Olympus 75 mm 1.8. I do not necessary love the focal length, but the sharpness is just so good. I was thinking possibly the 56 f1.2 could replace this lens. The 15mm, I don´t know - 35 F2.0 perhaps? I also have a zoom 12-40 pro, which I use for filming. I dont love it, it is too bulky and softish on 40 mm. I do not do outdoor filming, mostly indoor, so it is not a huge deal.

Your words are wise. Unfortunately I can not rent any camera where I live :( So buying is always risky :) I do get a 14 days free return though, at least that is something. Perhaps the GX8 AND a used X-pro1 is a possible way to try out the system?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't comment on the cameras, but the Fuji 18mm f2 would be the closest thing to the PL 15mm f1.7. It would be 27mm equivalent vs 30mm equivalent on the PL15mm.

The closest thing to the 75mm f1.8 is the 90mm f2 WR. 56mm f1.2 is like 42.5mm on m4/3.

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The X-Pro1, even with the most up to date firmware, isn't going to be comparable to the X-T1 or X-Pro2. As far as bang for the buck goes in the Fuji world, a used X-E2 is what I would go with. The new firmware makes it nearly identical to the X-T10 which is already 90% of the X-T1. The AF of the 35mm f/2 is supposedly quick (by system standards), but I was disappointed a bit by the 56mm. At f1.2, that's a lot of glass to move around though. Keep in mind that neither of those lenses will be stabilized and with the 35mm you gain less that a stop of DOF control over the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and only a stop with the 56mm over the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2.

I'm not trying to dissuade you - the Fuji cameras and lenses are great. Its just that in my experience, there wasn't an earth shattering difference in image quality or usability.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Thank you. This is very sobering!