1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I need some computer software/hardware advice.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by RDM, Sep 7, 2014.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello there people. I am not sure where to ask this so I played it safe and posted it here.
    SO here is what I been thinking about lately.
    I have an old laptop which I should upgrade as soon as I have the money too, but it still work OK for me for now..
    I recently seen a great deal on LR5 for under a hundred dollars, and wondered if I really need it or if it would be a waste of money to buy right now with the hardware I got, Which is a Toshiba Satelite L505D with only 4 gigs of RAM (2x2gigs) .
    on it I have Photoshop CS5 Extended with LR3.4.1, They have served me well and I have no complaints, but then again I may not know what I am missing.

Any major photo processing that I needed to do I would use the Local Colleges computer lab, they had CS6 and LR5, but I usually just went there to Print mostly, or work on Class projects. I no longer take classes there and my ID expired this summer, plus it's about a 45min to hour drive away.

So I been wondering, when I seen the LR5 for sale, if i should buy it or would it just be a waste to buy right now and probably run very slow on my computer compared to what I already have. Maybe I should just Max out my ram for right now, or would that be a waste of money that I should save towards a better computer, or would maxing out the ram and getting LR5 be OK for a long wile and I can hold off on a computer for a while (especially since I would be spending some of that money).
    Or maybe just do a wipe and reinstall everything on my laptop, bringing it back to factory (probably spending a whole weekend on this) and it may also run a little better.

Than again, maybe I should just leave well enough alone, and keep using what I have .. if it aint broke, type thinking.. which is ok because money is tight without a steady Income right now...

I mean I have noticed how slow it is, but I can't remember if it always seemed this slow on my computer or if its just because I am now using my laptop all the time and I am subconsciously comparing it to the computer lab that I would use.

Anyway . . . Advice? Donations? lol

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Love the one you're with :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

FWIW I'm running the latest Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS on an I5 with 4GB of RAM. It's okay for the most part.

I suggest you get the trial for Lightroom 5 and see if a) it is worth getting and b) whether it will run okay.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you know you're going to be upgrading your computer I might grab the new lightroom. But mainly because of the cloud stuff adobe is doing. Personal I prefer living on the ground and not in the cloud. But also in case you upgrade you camera, lightroom 5 supports many cameras that did not exist when 3.4.1 was out.

I'm not sure I would install it on your old system and I certainly would not spend anything up upgrading it. But just incase adobe does more lightroom to the cloud at least you'll have the last version before they do.

Since you note that you sometimes use the local college's systems you can play with the new features so I won't bother going into them, try them on yours own and see if you would make use of them. I can tell you that I use main of them and as a result I use photoshop less.

5. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I don't know the specifics of your case, but in general it would make sense to get the software when at its cheapest. If it works fine on your current system, you win. If not, you can think about upgrading, if and when.

6. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Agreed. Buy it now, even if you don't install it, just to get the license. I will be shocked if LR 6 is available without subscribing to Adobe Creative Cloud (i.e. a monthly fee to use LR, which means it'll cost you over $100 if you keep it for more than a year).

7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Good Idea. Thank you

Yes I am going to be upgrading my computer, I am just not sure when funds will allow.. At the earliest it might be around Christmas time.

I had not thought about future camera support. I currently Use my computer with photos taken from a DMC G1 & GH2 as wells an E-PL1 on occasion, and have no problems. But I would love to get a GX7, maybe within a year. If my Adobe software doesn't support the Raw files, I didn't realize that there would be nothing I could do without a mandatory upgrade.

That is something to think about.

I thought I was pretty specific, what info was lacking?

Agreed that it would make sense to get the software when at its cheapest, but only if its use is imminent. Otherwise it might be a waste.
    Example
    A few years ago I purchased two 1 TB external Hard drives. It was a black Friday deal for $95 each. I got 2 because I though it would be worth it since I had a 500GB & 250GB almost full (I was shooting like mad and had many projects going on).
    But right now I only have one of them 3/4 full (even after transferring all the data of the 250mb) and the other unopened, and those drives are selling for about $95 new Now, and sure to go down by the time I need to break open the second box. My productivity just changed and I didn't realize I would be shooting far less and scanning far less.

Anyway, what I took away was just to buy what I need and not more.

Yes, that would make sense if future camera RAWs could always be supported somehow, but as pointed out earlier to me, as I get a newer camera I would need newer software.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a Gigabyte S1080 tablet (not a powerhouse device by any means) with LR5 and Design Premium CS4, which I use when away from my PC and it works fine. Get LR5 now while you can, as after that it's all subscription.

9. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Tweak your PC, defrag and stop unneccessary background processes and start ups just to free up your HDD/RAM/CPU

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It may be worth putting a couple of 4 gig sticks of ram in there, if you find it a bit sluggish when you start using LR5. That being said I am still using a 6 year old netbook with a low powered Atom cpu for travel and it seems to be able to play high def films ok and I did at one point have lightroom on it and it worked ok just a bit slow.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I Need to correct something.
    I will do it in a new post here, since it was quoted by you already and I can not edit that posts quote too.. I meant to say I use a G1 & GH2.
    If you feel like editing my quote in your post David, I will just edit my original and delete this one here .. if not that is OK too ..

12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Umm.. Yea .. Obviously I wasn't implying otherwise, or the offer to delete that post would not have made any sense.
    So, that was not a reference to YOUR post but to the QUOTE of mine in YOUR post.

Its OK, I too have been guilty in the past, of skimming posts and not fully reading everything.

OK so for the sake of Continuity, you just need to edit My quote post #10 to read GH2 instead of GH1. Then you can delete Posts #13.
    I have edited my Post # 7 to read GH2 instead of GH1. Then I will delete Post #12, like I said and then this one, Post #14.
    Then the extraneous information and communication will be eliminated. Everything remaining will still be relevant & coherent. :smile:

13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You have an old dual core processor but at least you are running Windows 7 64 bit. You can upgrade the laptop to 8GB.
    I would do just that, install 8GB of memory and buy the new Lightroom.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK, well ether way, the only thing that was relevant, in my post to you, was that I had made a typo and asked, if you wouldn't have minded, for my quoted post within you post, to be adjusted. Nothing more. And you misunderstanding that caused four more irrelevant postings .. :laugh1: but on the bright side this made me smile.