I need help with Lightroom

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by FZ30, Aug 3, 2015.

1. FZ30

FZ30 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2014
    Between Boston and New York
    I have been using Lightroom for years.
    Recently I updated to the latest version when I noticed that my files are not really in a good order.

At the start I wanted to have them in the the order like by years:
    Now I noticed however that they are in the order of
    2007, 2008, 2009. What I try to say is that the 2008 is inside the year 2007 folder. The 2009 folder is in the 2008 folder which is in the 2007.....

If I move the 2009 into is separate space, will the catalog find it including the names I gave them originally.

Thanks for any help
  2. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    LR is meant to be used as an organizer.

Do not change the file structure outside of Lightroom unless you want to help it find the folders again. It will be able to do this as long as you know what you're doing. Doable, but a hassle.

The preferable way is to change the folder/ directory structure from within Lightroom. That way, it automatically rebuilds all its links to the files.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Lightroom has a database (catalog) that it uses to keep track of your images. The database contains all the edits you've made and it uses references (pointers) to the raw files on disk. If you move images outside of LR, then you'll lose the pointers. You must use LR to organise the folder structure you need and don't move images after you've imported them into LR.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    ... except via Lr. Moving them using Lr's interface is perfectly safe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FZ30

FZ30 New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2014
    Between Boston and New York
    Thank you all, that worked perfect to move the files in Lightroom.