1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I need help-owners of a 5D+85mm and a Oly OMD+45mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by XTC1, Oct 4, 2012.

1. XTC1

XTC1 New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    Asturias -Spain
    I have a Canon 7D and 5D MKII. I want to sell the 7D to buy an Olympus OMD 12-50 + Zuiko 45mm. Also I have a Sigma 85mm f/1.4, which is very good lens, but I do not use it much. I would like to know if anyone has a Canon 5D +85 mm and an Olympus OMD+45mm can tell me if the quality is comparable or very close. If someone has this combination would do me a great favor if you put some samples to see the sharpness and bokeh.
    thanks

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I havent used Canon 5D Mark II and 85 mm 1.4 combo but I have used Oly 45 mm quite extensively than anyone else here and I can tell you , This lens and especially OMD + 45 mm 1.8 might exceed your expectations . OMD exeeds 5DMII in high ISO performance and you have only slight advantage on shallow DOF from that combo . If u want to move further then get OLy 75 mm 1.8 and see that this lens is one of the sharpest lenses ever made .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Are you sure about that, bhupinder?
    Canon 5D-mkII's dxomark on ISO is a stellar 1815 while OM-D's at 826.

• Like Like x 1
  4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    +1

I'd pit the OM-D against any mid-range DSLR but I don't think it can go side-by-side with FF cameras just yet, maybe eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

Hhahah
    Ignore DXO numbers guys . They took six months to test OMD and obvious wont give it a good score. Now go back to DPR OMD review and compare jaw dropping performance of OMD with any FF . I was also shocked and didnt believe my eyes .
    Check it here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/20

Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 45mm 1.8 lens is very good and has very good bokeh and is quite sharp wide open. The 5D will have shallower DOF for sure. Saying that, the 45mm 1.8 is very capable of shooting decent portrait shots. Also, the 45mm being so tiny makes it easier to handle over a big 85mm 1.4 lens!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bhupinder2002

Hahaah That was non-controversial reply Jonathan :rofl:.Actually the tragedy is most of people overestimate FF and underestimate MFT . There will be some trade offs if you change systems but there is not big gap in IQ and DOF . If one is ready to understand that its much easier to make a decision .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. Shank

Shank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Michigan
    Jimmy the Cricket
    Come on man.
    I owned a 5dmk2 for years before I sold it to help fund my OM-D E-M5 purchase.
    I absolutely adore this little camera.
    That said, the OM-D has great high ISO performance but it can't touch my former 5Dmk2 for high ISO, no way no how.
    There is no spin in the world that will make the OM-D equal to the 5dmk2's high ISO performance, none.

That's from personal experiences.

• Like Like x 5
  10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Again, it goes back to compromises. I am not a professional photographer so I'd rather have my very portable yet very capable OM-D setup than lug around pounds of equipment. Heck, if I were to buy a DSLR, I would still only avail of a cropped sensor, like the Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D. Don't need and don't want to pay that much for a FF camera.

11. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I think you should rent a FF DSLR before you make such claims.

FF files have much more latitude for PP.

• Like Like x 2
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    TO THE OP'S QUESTION:

What do you mean by "quality?" You mention later sharpness and bokeh. By "bokeh" do you mean the quality of the OOF area (which is what Bokeh means) or do you mean the depth of field, and how much the OOF areas are actually OOF?

I have used a 5D mk1 + Canon 85 quite a bit over the years (and currently have that combo), and also did two spins with the Oly 45/1.8. I do not currently have the Oly 45, so I cannot take the same picture to show you the differences, but I would say the 45/1.8 is a very good lens. But, the nature of FF and 43 sensors is such that an 85mm lens on FF wide open (say at 1.8) has far narrower DOF than the 45/1.8 on m43. So, if you are shooting the 85 at 1.8 wide open, there will be much more back ground blur.

If you shoot the 85 on a 5D at 3.5 and the 45 on an OMD at 1.8, they will have fairly similar amount of background blur, and in my experience and opinion, both have pleasing bokeh and color. I prefer the 85/1.8 on my 5D, though, because the AF is more sure on my intended subject (assuming no front or back focusing issues). I found that contrast detect AF on my m43 bodies would be prone to catching background focus. I would say they are equally fast to focus.

IMO, those are the significant difference between the two -- focusing and more background blur. I would say bokeh is fairly similar, and the 45/1.8 is actually sharper than my EF 85/1.8 wide open, but as I use it for portraits, I'm less concerned about sharpness.

• Like Like x 2
  13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yup. Switch it to RAW and the 5D2 is definitely better ;)

I won't address the FUD you allude to with DxO results. Easy to find a way to dismiss them when they don't agree with what you want to say...

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    AGAIN, TO THE OP's QUESTION

As I mentioned above, if you really looking at sharpness and bokeh, this won't help, but here's a comparison of what depth of field and OOF area might look like on an 85/1.8 vs. 45/1.8. This is not exact for a number of reasons (not truly comparable FL and FOV, different sensor aspect ratio), but if gives you an idea. These are just comparison shots with my daughter's dolls.

You can do this of course with your own 85mm lens, but I thought I'd post this here in case you hadn't thought of doing this test, or for others who are interested in the same question:

85mm @ 1.8
    [​IMG]

85mm @3.5
    [​IMG]

85mm@1.8
    [​IMG]

85mm@3.5
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The 5DII with a fast prime (I don't have am 85/1.4, but love my 135/2.0L) has better IQ than the E-M5 with a 45/1.8. It's pretty damn close in most situations, but particularly subject isolation (function of the sensor size) and straight-up sharpness and detail straight out of camera is better.

Don't get me wrong, the E-M5 is capable of stunning quality, has great dynamic range, great high ISO quality, and it's really very close, but the files I get from my 5DII are still more impressive, particularly for low-light, natural light portraiture.

• Like Like x 1
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for this post. Good to hear someone chime in with real world experience using both cameras.

I think the truth for many of us is that a combo like the E-M5 & 45/1.8 is good enough. But I also think it's true that as good as that camera is it simply is not magical and for some folks there will still be a clear preference toward a very capable camera like the 5D2.

The question raised by the OP is a tough one: "Is the quality comparable?". It's really a personal decision, and even posting some head-to-heads won't answer it I don't think. You probably need to shoot them both, and process the files, to understand where you can go with them and which you prefer.

That being said, if you really value the obvious benefits of :43: (size; cost) then you will probably find the output close enough to not matter.

17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'd be willing to bet that the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 would give the 135mm f/2L a run for its money resolution wise...

18. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, but you have to get that resolution into 1/4 the sensor area.....

19. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I call Bull on E-m5 besting 5D Mk II high ISO

Believe what you want. You are flat out wrong.

Now that that's settled, let's move on back to the OP. The following is from real world usage, not forumographer chart reading;)

I had the 5d II with the Siggy 85mm and also the E-M5 with 45mm. Most of the usage was in low light levels (university class rooms). The Siggy/Canon combination for me was restricted to shutter speeds usually over 1/100 sec. The 5d is not heavy but the Sigma is and after shooting for a couple of hours while trying not to make a sound the combo was tiring and I did not take chances on lower speeds. The Oly combination otoh gave me more breathing room.

I still had to balance out the higher iso capability of the 5dII in this equation as well as the different dof of the different combinations. These are tools and they each have their benefits and applications.

BTW, I sold the Siggy. I still have the Oly.

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree with alans on a couple of points. Shutter speed is crucial on a 5D w/prime. More breathing room on the Oly. Also, the deeper DOF of the Oly can help in focus.

In general, I also find the perceived sharpness of the m43 w/the better lenses to be better than my 5D with consumer lenses, but I'm not always chasing the best sharpness. There are other qualities of FF that I'm after, but if sharpness is your game, the OMD + 45 can get you there without having to stop down that far.