I need help again from GAS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bobbywise, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Hi everyone,

I recently posted here to help me stop myself from buying the NEX 7, and you all came through for me, and rightfully convinced me not to get it :biggrin: :2thumbs:

However, now the Fuji X1 Pro is now available in Europe, and I am just so tempted to get it. I think this will be more difficult to resist than the NEX 7 was.

So please help dissuade me from getting the Fuji X1 Pro.

Thanks,

Rob

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Given these urges for new systems are recurring, perhaps m43 is not for you. No offense intended, just saying that you may find yourself always craving other systems which if that is true, you are and always will be for your own reasons not entirely satisfied by m43.

If I were you, I would switch to one of these other systems and find out for sure. If it works out then you've found peace, If not.....You could always move back over.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Hi Livnius,

Thanks for your help.

Thing is, I'm fixed on M43 for sure, and love all it's advantages (smaller reasonable sensor etc. with smaller lenses for the same FOV compared to other systems).

I can safely say I'll never give up with M43.

However, the Fuji X1 Pro is a different beast, and still tempting. Maybe I should hold out as I plan on getting the OM-D, but it's still so tempting !

Rob

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Where technology is concerned, it's pretty easy to get into the whole "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" mindset. What exactly is it that the NEX7 and Fuji X1 Pro are promising that you don't feel your getting from m43? That said, if you can afford it and want it...why not just get it? It's not like we'll disown you. Its a great time to be an enthusiast. There are a lot of choices and many of them are terrific.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    olympus-om-d-camera-.
    olympus-om-d-em-5-jjc.
    olympus-om-d-e-m5-1.
    olympus-om-d-e-m5-03.

So what in particular about the Fuji X-Pro system interests you? Wanting to add to your system is not a bad thing... If you have the money to spare, then maybe it could give you something extra or maybe that money could give you a bigger bang by adding something to your existing system (like the hints I posted above, lol). It all depends on what you feel you're lacking, and how you feel another system or additional equipment will help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hey Bobby,

be wise and get it! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Hi Dixeyx,

Mainly the bigger sensor with theoretically better dynamic range and the curiosity of using a different system. Using legacy lenses on a bigger sensor too.

I came to my senses with the NEX 7 though with some of the negative feedback it's had with the use of legacy lenses. Plus the native lenses for the NEX system is pretty poor. So I was easily convinced against it in he end.

The Fuji proposition is a bit more tricky for me to avoid. Their sensor technology is pretty leading edge, and the VF seems good too. Now, I love using legacy lenses, and as mentioned in another post, there's something about using them, partly I think to that mechanical control of the aperture. Well, those native Fuji lenses have mechanical control too, so it's getting awfully hard for me to resist. :rofl:

Hi Ned,

I love your reminder to the immanent arrival of the OM-D. Hopefully it's immanent arrival will be enough to stop me getting Fuji X1 Pro.

Thanks to all for you support so far....

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    the AF sin't all too fast though (just to give you some cons about the xpro1.... and it's damn expensive.

i'm also torn between the nex7 and e-m5 but thinking i could also add the xpro1 into the mix but for the money, i'd go for the e-m5 and still have one system and i can still interchange every lens i own and add more in the long run, and still able to use it with all of my current gear

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Hi Adubo,

Yes, I know the AF isn't as fast, but for me it's probably not a show stopper.

By the way, I played with a NEX 7 in a shop the other day, and I found it almost totally unusable compared to my Panasonic M43 cameras and my Canon 550D. The NEX 7 (for me anyway) is not intuitive to use whatsoever.

Rob

10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Well thats a good since i didnt jump on it immediately (almost did though)

But honestly, the xpro1 based on what i have read is nothing but exceptional. But do you really need it? Do you need another camera, alas a new system? Do you need to get that fullframe performance on an aps-c sensor?

I also read that the em5 has a performance level IQ wise on par with the nikon d7000 (and that speaks loads for me)

Also, Ask yourself if youve outgrown your current gear. Is there anything that your m43 gear cant do that youve wanted it to?

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I'm also torn between the OM-D and the X-Pro1. I have an X100 and love it, so I know I would love the Fuji (even better image quality, great primes), but m43 has a great lens selection, and the OM-D looks good and seems to have IQ that is certainly good enough for my limited demands. I'll wait for full reviews, I think ...

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They're all good in their own way. I'd get whichever you feel most comfortable with.

13. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I think I'm beginning to calm down my GAS and hold off the Fuji X1 Pro.
    The OM-D wil be a great M43 camera, so getting this will stop me getting the Fuji X1 Pro, but it's not yet available.

I think I'm coming to my senses, and will only get the Fuji X1 Pro in the future when the early adopter price drops :biggrin:

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Don't take this the wrong way... but i had a quick scan through your flickr... and it seems you don't know what kind of photographs you want to take.... define that and then camera choice becomes easier.

forget DR, high iso and all the other technical stuff... its the photographer that takes the photo. If taking interesting and pleasing photographs for your own interest is the aim then the quality difference between anything in the last 10 years is probably minimal, and anything in the last year or the next year will be to most people will be indecernable.

my top 4 'most interesting' on flickr were taken with an E-p1( almost 3 years old) with a 20 year old Olympus lens, an E-510 ( 5 years old), a Canon 20D (7 years old) and a Canon Ixus 500 ( 12 years old).

Of course the latest camera will always offer the potential to more easily take photos in situations that were difficult in the past... but at the end of the day photography thrived and provided us with interesting and sometimes stunning images for a 150 years before the advent of digital....most of them without metering, autofocus and an ISO that went beyond 400

just my rant

cheers

K

• Like Like x 4
  15. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Hi K,

Don't worry, I wouldn't take your comments the wrong way.
    I don't use Flickr too much, but you are totally right about me.
    I'm yet to discover what I really want to take photos of.
    Probably street, and a bit of city stuff at night.
    I'm a humble beginner with so much to learn :biggrin:

Rob