1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I need Excellent Studio

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by New, Feb 17, 2014.

1. New

New New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi,

I have a question and i need ur help guys :redface:

I want to Create an Excellent Studio in my house to portray my family & people (indoor & outdoor)

My Tools now is :-

Olympus camera's em-5
    Olympus lens 12-50 mm
    Olympus lens 75mm
    Yongnuo Flash Speedlight 560 III

What did i miss from the studio tools ???
    I need a full explanation for lighting tools and supplies

Thanks Allllllll:2thumbs:

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    strobist.blog.com

3. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    That would be strobist.blogspot.com.

• Like Like x 1
  4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree with the strobist link. Additionally get a book on lighting. I was about to ask the same question about a few years ago. I just wanted someone to tell me what to buy.

The thing is you really need to understand light, then the studio answer just comes to you.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    head over to POTN and look in there lightning area ? pretty active

really its such a huge open ended question that has a zillion possibilities and options ?

6. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    My all time favorite lighting instrument when I had lighting instruments was a Photex Softlighter, about three feet in diameter. You'll also need a strobe and stand. Bounce flash is also nice. Cheap add on for flash is a big white plastic bowl, ice cream container, or tupperware thing, with a cutout in the lid for the flash. Also helpful to have on hand are foam boards with one side covered in crinkled aluminium foil and the other side the smooth white. A cheap and useful reflector is a space blanket, sold in most outing stores.

I used to also use light triggered slave lights -- some of the new ones work with the pre-flashes that many digital cameras use.

If you ever want to do table tops, three trouble lamps that clamp on and a piece of poster board work. Prop up the poster board so that it curves, put what you're photographing on the flat part, use one light on the background (or not) and put one light twice the distance on the opposite side as a light on the other side of the object. Use daylight mini-fluorescents. Black posterboard give a different effect than white. Adjust the lights to get the effect you want. This tends to work well on a table with a bookcase behind it. Clamp the lights on the bookcase.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
  8. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    what kind of studio shots are you looking for? do you want a full set up with backdrops and everything? or just controlled lighting for your home?

I've gotten great results with just the FL-600R, tripod, silver rain umbrella and masking tape.

I would suggest the items from the strobist blog to start:
    medium light stand & attachments
    shoot-through umbrella
    PC cord and shoes
    reflector

I've gotten away with lighting family photos with just bouncing the on camera flash off a wall to simulate window light.

in the group shot on the couch, the room was actually mostly dark when shot.

the headshot was with off camera flash into a reflective umbrella.

and the silhouette shot was in a dark room with off camera flash into the reflective umbrella.

your lens collection should work just fine. I stop down to F4 or smaller a lot when strobing.

Attached Files:

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you have a room with a large, north facing, window, all you need is a reflector or two (Styrofoam sheets will be ideal) for all of your initial indoor lighting needs.

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you go on the big auction site you can get a large variety of umbrellas: silver or gold reflective, shoot through or for more money a sort of umbrella soft box. I use the latter all the time it gives a nice light and will work with an on camera flash or mono head strobe. The low cost light stands again take a lot of abuse and will do the job well unless you get a bargain used one or two. You will need a mount for the flash gun and its worth getting some form of trigger I have RF600 ones they work well. If you do not think you are going to leave the home a lot consider buying one of the low cost plug in flash units, more power, no batteries etc.
    Buy a couple of types of brolly shoot through and reflective,stand,mount,trigger and experiment with positioning to see what works for you, see if you can get a fake head for a low cost to practice as long as it is not too reflective. Worth looking at Zack Arias he did a load of stuff on one light working also some bloggers called shut up and shoot. I tunes may have some pod casts. At the end practice and experimentation will get you most comfortable and used to using them. Also look on the visual science lab blog there was a link to a free class there not sure how good it is though and he has done some lighting books too. Strobist had some neat ideas for dIY lighting modifiers but its best to get used to one or two things first.

11. New

New New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2014