I need a quick, cheap lens for my new e-pl1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chumly, Aug 2, 2010.

1. chumly

chumly New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2010
  2. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 14, 2009
  3. blackSP

blackSP Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Looks like a real winner for 60 bucks. I wouldn't expect too much if I bumped into a lens like that though, it seems to be a Closed-circuit television lens that needs modding to make it fit...

4. how about kit 14-42?

5. chumly

chumly New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2010
    the kit lens isn't quick at all.

6. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    These are my selection of good fast lense with the indication of the average price on Ebay.

MD (30-35 bucks for the adapter)

Minolta MD ROKKOR 50 1.4 , could be an idea it is usually around 30 to 60 bucks but of course you would need the adapter.

M42 (25 bucks for a chinese adapter.)

SMC Takumar 55 1.8 , could be found around 40 to 50 bucks

Chinon 55 1.7 prices vary ( check the other manufacturer Revuenon 55 1.7 exactly the same lense different name)

Pentacon 50 1.8 you can find for peanuts

Helios 44 58mm f2 sharp fantastic lense could be found for less than a tenner

M39 (30 bucks for the adapter)

A bit harder to find Jupiter 3 50 1.5 ( russian copy of the Carl zeiss sonnar) last i checked was around 60 bucks.

Concerning the C mount lens i own it , there is no vignetting but there is a considerable loss of sharpness on the sides wide open. Mind you it was designed for a 2/3 CCTV camera it covers just sensor, the sharpness in the center is fantastic on the sides wide open next to none. Once you step down to around F5.6 or F8 the sharpness is more uniform around the picture. So for interesting effects can be used Wide open otherwise you need step down if you want to get a quality picture.

Hope this can help you

Ilia

• Like Like x 2
  7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    There are many old cheap CCTV lenses which are wide and fast. There are many old cheap SLR lenses that are longer and fast.
    Assuming 35 is what you're looking for, I would say Konica 40/1.8 would be one of the best deals. If you're looking for something fast and wide I still believe nothing beats 20/1.7 even for $400.

8. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm an old school guy and trying to put down new lenses (as in, old scool rules lol). From my looks on the web, the 20/1.7 is a REAL winner, in the big big big scheme of things. They got it right. It makes perfect beautiful pictures with lots of character. But don't tell that to a scientist who finds things wrong with Leica glass, he'll/she'll find things wrong with this one. The Panasonic 20/1.7 has heart and takes Summilux-quality pics (for m43)...it's looking like an awesome lens...and I don't even own it yet, just studying pics online.

9. My vote is for a takumar 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 M42 + adapter. It is important to get the SMC version.