I need a bag!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by majordude, Jan 7, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I have an OM-D with the 12-50 telephoto lens almost always mounted on it. I also have three other lenses (and adding more) plus I have the flash and cables.

I also have an XZ-1 with an extension tube on it (basically making it look like another "SLR".

I've been looking at the Tamrac bags and they look pretty good. But there are TOO MANY to choose from! Any advice?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Actually, I suggest a ThinkTank Retrospective 5, a truly awesome bag. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. bpdougd

bpdougd Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2012
    I recently picked up a Tamrac Aero 40. $38. Nice bag that holds my OM-D and all my lenses and a flash.

4. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love my Tamrac gear! One thing to think about is how you want to carry your cameras/lenses. For instance I have a Tamrac Velocity 7 that you carry across your body and it hangs at your side. The top opens out which makes it easy to get to the lenses or other gear inside. I love it when I want to carry several long lenses on a hike. It also fits perfect in my scooter's underseat storage.:biggrin:

Anyway back to the point. If you simply want a bag to store your gear and carry from one place to another it will be a different bag than one that you actually work from. For carrying less gear but still having it with you they have several hip packs. I personally have been thinking about getting the Rally 56 or the slightly bigger 58. For a simple bag the Aero or Rally series is the way to go.

If you have a laptop or tablet they have several bags that have a compartment to put that in as well. Although I love my iPad to death and use it for storage and photo viewing I leave it at home/base camp rather than tote it when I go shooting so I haven't paid much attention to those bags.

6. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Im a huge Timbuk2 junkie. They have some solid bags. Im currently using a extra small D-Lux messenger to tote around my GX1 and two other lenses. I know they also have some dedicated Camera bags like the snoop messenger & backpack available in different sizes depending on how much you want to carry. Might be worth checking out thier site. They're having a sale at the moment.

7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Lowepro Passport Sling. It's a very well engineered bag.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    echoing speedandstyles comment - I have a 2 bag strategy - one for getting my equipment from place to place and one for out shooting.

My place to place bag is a Tenba

Classic Stylish Camera Bags & Shoulder Bags; Tenba Messenger

it was chosen because my 11inch macbook air fits in perfectly - as does also my ipad as well now. In addition I can carry one or two bodies, several lenses, a backup hard drive, plus all the cables and power adapters. It will sit under an aircraft seat and over all is a great airport bag.

once i get somewhere, my daybag is a Domke FX5

DOMKE F-5XA SMALL SHOULDER/BELT BAG

which will happily carry a body and 2 or 3 lenses... as well as the ipad, though that is not particularly secure

just my thoughts

K

9. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    That will be good for day trips!

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I love my Retrospective 5, but the OP seems to have a lot of gear, it would be a right fit I think... but possible. Especially if you tack on a lens pouch like I do sometimes.

With that, I would up the suggestion to the Retrospective 7 =)

11. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I also do the 2 bag approach. I use the Tenba small messenger bag to carry my equipment and 13" MacBook Pro. I use the lowspro passport sling as my walk around day bag. You can expand it to carry a light jacket and snacks and use an outside pocket to carry a water bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

12. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I think you'll find that most people here will agree that there isn't 1 "best" bag, but there are "best" bags for a given purpose. I have 3 bags currently (that number always changes). If I'm hauling my laptop (13" MacBook Pro), I have a bag for that, if I'm just walking around with a camera and 2 lenses, I have a different bag for that. Below is what I have now.

- Timbuk2 Snoop (small)
    - Config 1: laptop, E-M5, GF3, 6 lenses, FL-600r
    - Config 2: laptop, E-M5, 2 lenses, FL-600r in a F-5xa, misc. stuff

- Domke F-8
    - E-M5, 3-4 lenses, FL-600r, filters, batteries, etc.

- Domke F-5xa
    - E-M5, 1-2 lenses, FL-600r, batteries

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I second the recommendation of looking through this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/bags-more-bags-593/ I also use a two bag approach, a Tenba mini-messenger for when I need to take everything. Or I use a regular messenger or field bag with an insert when I take a camera with one or two lenses.

14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Also going to recommend the Thinktank bags. Very nice looking bags and they don't scream out camera bag. If you have the grip on the OM-D and have telephoto zooms, I would go for the Retro 7. If its without the grip or only the a part of it with primes the Retro 5.

15. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    If you want a shooter's bag, that's easy to get stuff in and out quickly, take a look at the TT city walker 10. It holds my omd with 45 attached, epm2 with 14, and 12-50, 25 1.4, and 45-175, plus a fl600r, cables etc., and my ipad. Only complaints about it are that since it's a pure shooters bag, there's not much protection on the top.

If I ever get time, I'll try to take some photos with my gear in it. Hopefully after my trip to LA this week.

16. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    I got a Porteen bag for myself and one for my boyfriend and we both absolutely love it. She sells on Etsy.

Leather Camera Bag New Tapestry Medium DSLR by PorteenGear

Designed by a photographer. Super well-padded and weather-resistant (waxed canvas). Rain can get in via the top flap (through the side- though this can happen with any bag unless it has an extra side flap) but otherwise completely protected. Besides, none of use stay out in pouring rain. I normally only need enough protection so I can walk indoors peacefully without sprinting.

You can customize the panels on the bag (so for a man bag, you can ask her to just do 2 leather panels without the tapestry panel). She has a squarish flap for the male version.

I got it in medium but the compact size would be even smaller. Mainly use a medium with extra cushioned dividers she made for me so I can take more lenses. The bag can easily carry 4 lenses (2 on each side) with an OM-D with lens mounted in the middle. And if you really wanted, easy to stack the pancakes on top of the other lenses... So you could potentially carry 7 (one on the OM-D, 2 on each side, and 2 pancakes stacked one on each side).

Also has flap in the back where you can throw an ipad or filters. And a zippered compartment in front where I throw money/memory cards.

Love it.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Jen726,

Would you mind posting a picture of your boy friend's bag?

Thanks,
    David

18. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Hi David-

Here are two photos- one of our bags side by side (mine has the gray panel and the rounded flap) and his is the one with a more square shaped flap. The second photo just has his bag on its own. Admittedly my bag looks almost as man-ish as his but I wasn't a fan of the tapestry so I went with 2 leather panels too instead of the tapestry middle.

Also of note if you order from her- I asked her to make all the pockets out of waxed canvas (she normally does the pockets with tapestry fabric as well).

-Jen

Attached Files:

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. They are nice looking bags.

- David

20. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    [RIMSHOT]

I think I am torn between a Tamrac Series 6 and a Pelican 1504 Yellow case (so I can see it if It walks away from me.

Any thoughts?