1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I need 1080p/60 on a large sensor. Sony or bust?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Promit, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I need an ILC with 1080p/60 on an APS-C or full frame sensor, at "consumer" pricing (sub 4K ish?). A RED or EOS Cinema is out of the question. Is Sony the only game in town? Their video codec is somewhat disappointing, whether we're talking about a NEX 3N/6/VG200/VG900, A77/99, etc. It's not bad per se, but I'm looking for GH3 levels of output quality on a larger sensor and the Sony cameras aren't up to that standard. The GH3 just doesn't provide the DOF isolation I'm looking for on this one.

I'm pretty confident that what I'm looking for doesn't actually exist, but I thought I'd ask. I think the way to get what I want will be a Metabones Speed Booster and the GH3...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What lenses are you using? Unless something like an f/0.95 is too small an aperture for you then there are always faster lenses.

3. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm with Ned on that. Either a faster lens or a longer one. It depend what you need to shoot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    APS-c is not all that much larger than m4/3. Certainly not enough larger for there to be any significant difference in DOF given lenses of matching FOV and matching f/stops.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In video mode, APS-C frame size is 23.6x12.4mm (293 square mm) while m4/3 is 17.3x9.7 (168 square mm). The difference is more pronounced than in stills mode.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Samsung NX300 :confused:

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Maybe rent for this one?

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yes, this is true... when you're shooting primes. I lean heavily on zooms and shooting from the hip, which limits my lens selection quite a bit. I'm using the A65 with a 16-50/2.8 right now and I'm averse to going deeper than that. Worse still, I need the wide end often. If it seems like a weird set of needs, it's because we use the camera for a couple very disparate things.

Renting would necessarily be mail order, and I don't always have enough notice for that. I've needed a camera at hand same-day by surprise. Consumer equipment is within budget anyway -- are you suggesting a full blown movie camera and accompanying rig?

I did not realize that the NX cameras support 1080p/60. They don't have fast zooms, but an adapted 17-55 might work and they have focus peaking thankfully. I'll be surprised if the video quality is much different than Sony but it's worth looking into. The GX7, Speed Boosted to a Nikon 17-55/2.8, is very tempting. Need to see the final spec sheet tomorrow. The GH3 would be an easy choice if only they'd put focus peaking in; I refuse to do video work without it and a separate monitor is too awkward. Sigh.

I probably need to think seriously about two separate cams rather than one miracle cam, too.

9. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    G6 has focus peaking

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    But the old sensor. Blech. Thanks for the idea though.

11. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxYIZGG1e4][NEW] Panasonic LUMIX GX7 Introduction Video - YouTube[/ame]

The new GX7 will have video quality up to par with the GH3 with added in body stabilization,full manual controls in video mode it seems, and focus peaking. Couple that with a fast zoom lens like the 12-35mm 2.8, it would be a hard combo to beat performance-wise and portability.

If that's not up to your standards, then you'll have to just spend more.

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It will not. Its video mode is exactly the same as the G6, not the GH3, and IBIS doesn't work when shooting video.

13. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    rent a 1dc?