1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I must say I like the specs on the GX80

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pellicle, Sep 15, 2016.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

(FT5) First images and full specs of the new Panasonic G80. Has new 12-60mm Leica lens! - 43 Rumors

particularly the ones I've underlined

shots look good to, I like the layout ...
    panasonic_89.
    panasonic_87-2.

first camera that really draws me away from my GH-1

• Like Like x 1
  2. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    grip looks wonderful

3. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    The rumored specs certainly look very good. The availability of a battery grip will please many!

Simon.

4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    The overall look seems very practical

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting that it's essentially one camera produced in central and side EVF form. Assuming production costs are ridiculous, they should sell more of them.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Please be $899 and no more!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    and with pre-orders available Monday things should get interesting for Panasonic. Depending on the cost of the EM-1 II this should be THE camera to get from the Panasonic line for those who don't want a rangefinder style body OR want great video capabilities for a reasonable price.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Aww, c'mon Panasonic, don't make this camera so nice that I second guess my GX85!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Interesting . if its really Water resistant, its a big plus for it vs EM10, and really leaves less reason for someone to get GH unless they are really into video.
    For me Ill wait for all that tech in a GX8 successor with that fabulous big viewfinder . shame on Panasonic for not installing a larger one in Gx85.

10. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    So many new m43 cameras and so little money, was about to get a g7 until this was announced, and the new gh-5 and the Olympus em-1 mk2 how do I decide, I no not how.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Darts?

13. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Panasonic Lumix G80 G85 Review
    btw. It'll be called G81 in Switzerland (i.e. mainland Europe?).

Impressive indeed - even though the camera is about as big as the Nikon D5500: It's much better equipped - more features, more sophisticated handling, I.B.I.S., 4K, weather sealing, you name it. And if - which I don't doubt - it's as responsive and straightforward to use as the GX80, it'll really be a great camera. And from what I can see so far, it'll undercut the E-M5 II in terms of price by some margin - the latter's only real advantages becoming size and HiRes ..

M.

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    A couple questions I have about it:
    • How is video performance at higher ISO? The GH4 was noisy at ISOs around and above 800, while the G7 was much better in this regard. With the addition of IBIS in the G85, will the noise performance during video be impacted at all?
    • How is the long exposure noise performance? The GH4 was generally pretty good in this regard. How does the G85 compare to the GH4 and E-M5 (the benchmark m43 camera in terms of long exposure noise performance, despite it being 4? years old)?
    • How is the build quality? Yes, it has a mag-alloy front plate, but what about the top plate? The back plate? Does it feel as solid as the E-M5 II, E-M1, GH4, etc.? I'm very happy with how solid the GH4 and E-M1 feel, but how does the G85 compare?

• How is the AF in 4K? On my GH4, it was damn useless. The NX1 killed it in terms of AF speed in 4K. I think the 80D from Canon is the benchmark when it comes to video AF. I'll be interested to see how the camera performs in this regard, because the 4K AF was one of the very few faults with the GH4 IMO.
    It's a bummer that Panasonic still hasn't implemented a higher frame rate 1080p option in the G85. The GH4 had 96fps, but it was Canon-like (r.e. soft, lol). Given the video performance of the a6300, I would have hoped for at least improved 96fps, if not 120fps. Since it's not on the G85, it'll almost certainly be on the GH5, which will cost a considerable amount more than the G85.

I think it's a really good camera, and if it has better video noise and long exposure noise than the GH4, I may actually sell my GH4 and "upgrade" to this, for those improvements along with the IBIS (great for using with my primes and 7-14 PRO).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I just pre-ordered one* to see how it will work as primarily a video camera. IBIS and NO half-hour video limit were the draws for me. I just watched the Camera Store video review, this camera looks promising.

* after clicking on Amin's B&H link. :coffee-30:

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I still like the smaller form factor of the GX85.

17. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    And that's why it exists :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    A friend of mine has the GX8, it is a nice camera.

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the GX85 makes more sense if you mainly use small lenses. If you often use some of the larger zooms, then the extra grip (and weather sealing for many of them) will make the G85 a bit more attractive. And the relative size difference of the entire kit is minimal when you have a larger lens mounted.

upload_2016-9-30_9-59-50.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just curious: Is the GX8 being "pushed to the back" by the G85 and GX85?