I must be doing something wrong (bought a used E-M5 Mark II, EVF eye sensor issue)

parodying

Mu-43 Regular
So, every camera I've ever used before with an EVF and an eye sensor, you put your eye up to it and the super control panel vanishes and you see the EVF view. When you take a photo, you see it on the LCD, not the EVF. I had the original E-M5 and I swear it worked this way as well. My new E-M5 mark II will literally only do either or, even if I change the EVF auto on option to on or off. There must be some other setting I'm not adjusting correctly here. The person that sold it to me has a lot of good feedback and I know they wouldn't have sold something without disclosing an obvious defect like this. I've been messing with this camera for hours and I'm very frustrated that I can't figure this out. My Fuji X-T1 does this without zero problems but I can't find a similar menu command for it to do so in the Olympus menu.

Help!

Try going to the 'spanner' menu...go to RECVIEW .....if this is turned off this could be your problem. If you set it to say 5 seconds the captured image should show in both the EVF and the rear screen for that time or for as long as your eye is to the evf or in the LCD until you depress the shutter button.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I seem to be having a similar problem with my new (used) E-M5 Mk11.
If the EVF auto switch is set to off, then pressing the monitor button one the top plate switches between viewfinder and the LCD, as it should.

If I set the EVF auto switch to on, the viewfinder is OK for one shot and then both it and the LCD go blank.
Nothing happens when I put my eye to the viewfinder and the only way I can get it to operate is to press the shutter button half way and then (after a buzz) the viewfinder lights up. This process continues.

Brain fade or faulty eye sensor?

I haven't resorted to a full factory reset yet.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I had the EM5.2.
If I remember correctly there was something about the EVF/viewfinder set up that was unusual and couldn't be remedied. It was a little frustrating at first but I got used to it.

The EM5.2 is a great camera. I sold it when I upgraded to the EM1.2.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I've just had a g**gle and found a question on another website (which shall remain nameless - Digital Problems Resolved? ;) )

It would appear that the eye detection works, depending on the position of the "monitor" (Fn3) button.
If it has been pressed it shows some function settings and then the LCD goes blank and only by pressing the shutter button and waiting a short while does the viewfinder become active.

This is all a bit complicated for a numpty like me and I'm beginning to think already that this camera is too advanced for my tiny brain. :hmmm:

parodying

Mu-43 Regular
So to make it even more interesting - if I pull out the LCD to a 45 degree angle, the image shows up on the LCD automatically, even with the on option activated for the EVF on/off. I'll try the suggestions in here, and just curious - how do you do a factory reset?

Real Name
Deryck
Page 86 of the manual

Returning to default settings (Reset) Camera settings can be easily restored to default settings.
1 Select [Reset/Myset] in W Shooting Menu 1.
2 Select [Reset] and press OK. • Highlight [Reset] and press > to choose the reset type.
To reset all settings except the time, date, and a few others, highlight [Full] and press OK.
3. Select [Yes] and press Q.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Right, I've done a reset as instructed. And.......
it's still the same.
All works fine with the eye sensor / screen switching.
But if the monitor Fn3 button is pressed (either by accident or design) the camera goes into sleep mode.
Surely this can't be right?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Simon, it looks like you are a genius. :bowdown::clapping:
I've just tried switching it off and in the event of pressing the Fn3 button causing the issues I described, the function screen comes up on the LCD but immediately switches back to EVF when brought to the face.
Tapping the Fn3 button again, puts it back into normal mode.

Woohoo, thanks a bunch; I may be able to get to sleep tonight and will now endeavour to learn a bit more about the camera and not worry if it's faulty. If I can't follow anything from now on I'll just assume it's too damn advance for me.

And once again this forum demonstrates it's brilliance.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom