1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I Must Be Doing Something Wrong! 2 DOA OMDs ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Nov 1, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    hi guys.

please tell me i'm an idiot and am doing something wrong.

as i posted a week ago, first one DOA, charged no response from anything.. menu button, touchscreen, shutter button NADA!

the rep at best buy verified it and exchanged it no questions asked.

2nd one came today, charged and once again.. DOA ? ?

SAME AS THE FIRST.. No Response from any action at all..

PLEASE TELL ME I"M AN IDIOT AND AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG..

• Like Like x 1
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Sorry man, that doesn't sound like a problem you've caused at all. Let's go back yet once again to Best Buy, ask them to give you a brand new one, and make sure it's working there before you take it out of their store.

3. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I cant. OMD are only BESTBUY.com .. their stores dont carry

The LCD turns on, and when I look in the EVF, the LCD turns off and the EVF works, but I cant press the shutter or change anything.

Is there a hard reset? Let me google.

ALSO*** with the 12-50 mounted, does the camera give a slight POP (VERY SLIGHT BUT AUDIBLE) ??

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'd check to see if there is an error code being thrown. Search for instructions on how to find the shutter count. It also shows error codes.

Have u tried it without a lens attached?

5. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    actually no, my charger stays lighted when charging and then turns off when its complete (as i witnessed, as well as the notes directly on the charging unit)

and yes, i do see everything on the LCD and in the EVF, I just cant do anything..

i have a panasonic 25 1.4 that i ordered last week, and it does nothing with that attahed as well....

6. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010

i tried to do the shutter count thing, it wont go there.. none of the buttons respond to presses..

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Wow, bummer. Order from somewhere else buddy. Maybe they have a bad batch at bestbuy. Either find a local store, or follow one of the affiliate links from this forum so mu43 gets some credit. Maybe the good karma will help you get a working OMD

8. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    haha.. good point.. the only reason why i went through BB.com was because I had a $500 gift card.

i dont want to send back the 25 1.4, so maybe Ill just wait till the EPL5's start shipping.. cause I think I did my due diligence with the OMD thing..

9. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Don't buy from Best Buy? They're not exactly known for top notch service, which I can confirm.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    What do you mean by this? I am not aware that the battery charger has notes that light up when charging, but only the orange indicator light, and there is no direct charger for the E-M5 as far as I know.

Have you tried hooking the E-M5 up with a computer to see what version firmware you are on, and try to get an update?

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:rofl::rofl:
    Are you on Nikon , Canon ,Sony or Panasonic payroll?:wink:
    Anyway , I have no idea but it seems you are more unlucky than being idiot. Just go back and this time make sure you check it out there and then . The battery always has some juice and even you can borrow one battery from display camera. So dont walk out of the store without a working OMD .:thumbup:

12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I asked him about the charger at the same time thst he made a new post saying that the display is working. I deleted the post but he was already responding to it. Makes it sound like hes talking to himself, responding to a question no one asked like a crazy person, but its actually my fault :rofl:

The battery indicator will blink orange if there is a charge error. Happens to me once in a while. A reseting of the battery usually fixes it

13. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
  14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I wouldn't be totally surprised if they sent you back the same one that you got originally.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This had crossed my mind as well.

16. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    update.

First off, couldnt be same camera, because I was worried about just that.. them sending me the same one.... And since I didnt care which color, the first one was BLACK and the second one is SILVER.

But here is the big news... It might be my memory card causing this mess.

i took my memory card from my NIKON and popped it in both times prior to powering on.

I always format in the camera, but like I said, it was unresponsive when powered on.

I took the memory card out to return to BB, and took a pic just to see.. IT WORKED.

My memory card is a 16gb SDHC SANDISK ULTRA. and I have had no issues whatsover in my NIKON.

So I put my SD card in the computer to format, but then I had to leave to work.

SO LONG STORY SHORT, BOTH TIMES SAME ISSUE, SAME MEMORY CARD. I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS...

Never knew a working memory card from my NIKON, can cause TOTAL UNRESPONSIVENESS in another device.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Probably not the card that's the problem Phil, but software on the card. It is not uncommon for a card that's been used in a Canon or Nikon to cause problems with another camera if not formatted fresh, because the big guys like to add unnecessary files. You'll notice that Olympus cameras (when plugged in directly to USB) are read by the computer as just another harddrive, and the only files it saves on a card are actual picture files. Clean, simple, and reliable. Not all the other manufacturers are like that.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Very serious error highlighted below. You invite all kinds of errors if you don''t format the card in the camera.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, but considering that he can't get the camera to respond in order to format it in the camera, I don't see a much better option for him. I think he probably made the right choice in formatting on the computer in this case. A better choice would be to format in another Oly camera, but I don't think that's an option for him. A clean format on the Nikon would have also helped as well, if he didn't do that first.

20. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    hmmmm..

i only formatted in the computer so i can put in the camera to format again.

but like Ned said, i had no other choice.