1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I miss this site and I'm still here (a bit of a pointless ramble)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DynaSport, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    This site is one of my favorite sites on the internet. I have been given friendly help and advice starting from when I bought my first M43 camera and couldn't figure out why so many of my photos were blurry (turns out it was shutter shock) and then helping me figure out how to avoid it. Then on to helping me figure out which camera and lenses I wanted. To buying some of them in the buy/sell forum and selling off no longer used ones. The fact that I'm not shooting M43 gear anymore has made me feel a bit strange here. After all, the name of this forum is Mu-43.com after all. And while I do still have a little bit of M43 gear and some 4/3 gear as well, I'm afraid it will have to go too. Finances just don't allow me to keep it at the moment. I have to pay for that new Nikon camera and lenses I purchased and what I've sold so far isn't paying anything off. I know many of you are over on Nikon Cafe as well, and I'm starting to hang out there more, but I'm the new guy there and I honestly don't enjoy it as much. I will say that site has made me more critical of my photos and perhaps that is a good thing. Anyway, there isn't really a point to this except to say how much I've enjoyed this site and how I consider many of you guys internet friends, which is kind of weird in itself. But I also know there is some folks who don't really appreciate photos posted by other formats on a M43 dedicated site, and I get that too. So, I will probably share a bit less. Perhaps one day I will have more M43 gear. I am not a M43 hater at all. I would love to keep my E-M1 and 14-140 as a general travel camera. Too bad I need the money right now, especially given that they won't bring much of anything. But I can see me buying back in one day. OK, ramble off.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 15
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 13
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There’s no reason you can’t hang out and post here Dan. There’s an APS-C image thread that I’ll post in when I shoot with my D500.

There are a lot of good shooters over at the Cafe (plenty of good ones here too). If they’re helping you improve your photography and get the most out of your equipment, I don’t see what the difference is. The goal is to improve your craft while enjoying yourself.

The biggest difference I notice is there seems to be more of an emphasis over there on the resulting image, with less gear talk than there is here.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Agree with @ijm5012@ijm5012 wholeheartedly - one of the reasons I created the APS-C thread was as a catch-all for other systems in the same way as the Full-Frame and Film threads. They're nowhere near as busy as the rest of the forum but its nice to see what people are up to with different systems without starting afresh in another forum; although I've started to cross-post a bunch in cameraderie.org since foreverfilm merged into it + a lot of the same people are over there and it retains a similar character to mu-43, albeit with a slightly slower-pace to it.

Definitely stick around @DynaSport@DynaSport :) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Ideas and technique are independent of hardware platform.
    So there are still lots of places in the forum to post to.
    Plus you can still comment on the gear that you did have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sure, no reason to leave. I have an old EPL1 I can send you if that would make you feel better.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. DynaSport

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don’t plan on leaving entirely. I have posted a few times in the APS-C thread, but most of my posts have been in the subject threads like birds, wildlife, airplanes and such. Those are the threads I enjoy the most.

7. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Central California
    Daniel
    I think you're more than welcome here. Pretty much the only type of person that I personally wouldn't welcome would be a DPR troll. Someone who used the system and may one day come back to it is surely counts as a valued community member. The nicest thing about this forum is the sense of friendly community. Stick around!

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It would be sad to loose a good member of the forum, but it sounds like you will drop in every so often.
    And don't scratch your new gear, you will want it in pristine condition for when you sell it for the EM1.3 or what ever ;) 

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. But where else could you go?

10. DynaSport

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    It’s the internet. The possibilities are endless.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. But it's dangerous out there.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    Stick with the forum Dan, I like your shots, especially the birds!:thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I have been trying to find a 1" sensor size forum, instead of trying to move upwards from M43 in sensor size. There is far too much sublime pressure on spending more on gear once you get to M43 and above. Luckily forum chats are free. And techniques don't change much, no matter what kind of sensor size or camera gear you have.
    Mind you, going Nikon with the Panasonic S1 just around the corner could have been a fatal move.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Create one here!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I might just do that. Once the weather improves and I can get out again (poor health keeps me in check when the weather gets cold), I hope to come back with some worthwhile shots.

16. Maybe don't restrict it to dimensions so specific. There are other compact and bridge camera dimensions I think.

17. DynaSport

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I cannot imagine the Panasonic S1 having any impact on my decision to buy a Nikon D500 and 200-500 VR. The E-M1x had much more potential for me to regret the Nikon purchase. But I am very satisfied with my purchase at this point.

18. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    That's a common statement many of us make soon after our last major purchase. But things can quickly get out of hand.
    Either way, enjoy whatever you have. As a friend once said to me, a camera in the hand is better than ten in the bag.

19. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Indeed. I spent many years taking pictures with the 41MP Nokia camera phones. I switched to taking pictures with the 20MP Lumia 950 XL and 950 last year. But cameras like the FZ1000 and FZ2000 have a lot of the features of their M43 companions, which makes it easier to switch sensor size without getting confused with the controls on the camera.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    @DynaSport@DynaSport I don't have Nikon gear anymore, but I have no intention of not hanging out on the Cafe, don't feel like you shouldn't post here.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.