I miss Olympus's WR

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
20211028_162723.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I do believe in the UK we call it "Just another Thursday".

Going from Olympus OM-D E-M1 to Sony a7C I just can't let myself feel secure in Sony's claim of weather resistant compared to Olympus. I don't own a Sony a1, a9 II, a7R IV to what Sony considers their professional line.

I wanted to do some street photography in Taunton since I had to get my Covid19 Booster but the rain had other plans and while I did try a few times to make pictures (which I will post a bit later when I get home) but the mild rain worries me to much to risk both the Sony a7C and the Tamron 28-200mm f 2.8-5.6 which is something I never had with E-M1 and the Pro lenses.

I don't even know which lenses Sony considers worth of a good sealing, the GM line? That's quite an expensive ask compared to Fujifilm, Olympus and Panasonic. I don't want to be in the mindset of most of the camera club members I'm part of: if it's not perfectly ideal weather it's just another tea and biscuit indoor day.

Honestly I wouldn't trust any of the Sony gear when it comes to weather sealing. Imaging Resources hasn't tested the A7R IV yet but they failed the A7R III and I highly doubt the IV did much better. Weather sealing and smaller size is what got me to switch from Canon after 25 years.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Fujifilm's weather resistence also doesn't seem to be top notch, I have stumbled about multiple reports so far about water damage with X-Pro and X-T cameras, also just as of late an X100V which suffered quite severe water damage - even though an adapter and filter was used to "seal" it. Personally I had my X-Pro3 and my Fujicrons so far in a fairly extreme rain in Hamburg, which got me completely soaked. Camera and lenses were fine, however I had second thoughts about relying so foolishly on the WR.
My X100V also was used during a few rainy days, as with the X-Pro, rather carelessly. While the camera was fine, I am not sure if the viewfinder damage or spot might be related to water or not. However I will also treat this camera more carefully.

It seems like both Olympus and Pentax, maybe the professional Nikon gear live up to the name, while the others more or less offer just a bit of better protection against the elements.

It seems like both Olympus and Pentax, maybe the professional Nikon gear live up to the name, while the others more or less offer just a bit of better protection against the elements.
Olympus, Pentax and Nikon (well at least their new mirrorless cameras) are the only ones who I trust when it comes to weather sealing.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Main reason I bought the E-M1 II and 12-100mm and got into the system at the end of 2019 was because of planned trip to a rainy tropical country. Weather-sealing was the main thing I needed. But trip got cancelled because of COVID, but I have only been out in wet conditions once or twice, only by accident, without realizing it until later. Wasted my money, right?

I think weather-sealing is both overrated and underrated. It's something we don't have to think about, but shouldn't have to think about either. Sort of like the SSWF dust reduction. No need to spend so much time cleaning sensor, cleaning dust spots in files. Some peace of mind and more time to think about actual photography is important too.

Last edited:

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I know someone who killed his D850 by getting caught out in a storm with it. He was able to get the 200-500 lens fixed but not the body.

I think weather-sealing is both overrated

It is only overrated by those that don't shoot in inclement weather on a regular basis. For those of us that like shooting from watercraft and/or in inclement weather it is reason to move to Olympus. After destroying a Canon 500/4 x2 and a 1D due to water I made the switch and since then have not had one issue with weather sealing despite actually doing even more "dangerous" stuff with my gear.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
We often think of weather sealing in terms of the ability of the body/lens to resist water ingres. However, as a long term traveller, I also value the ability of my Olympus kit to resist fine dust and sand in drier climates.

It's not just about resisting water.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Main reason I bought the E-M1 II and 12-100mm and got into the system at the end of 2019 was because of planned trip to a rainy tropical country. Weather-sealing was the main thing I needed. But trip got cancelled because of COVID, but I have only been out in wet conditions once or twice, only by accident, without realizing it until later. Wasted my money, right?

I think weather-sealing is both overrated and underrated. It's something we don't have to think about, but shouldn't have to think about either. Sort of like the SSWF dust reduction. No need to spend so much time cleaning sensor, cleaning dust spots in files. Some piece of mind and more time to think about actual photography is important too.
I very much agree, I've noticed it as well with the dust on the Sony sensor, I never had any issues with anything like that on Olympus and Micro Four Thirds sensors have a lot more DoF and spots would be a lot more noticeable even at f 2.8
I am waiting for OM Solutions and their WoW camera to see how much and what they are improving.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is only overrated by those that don't shoot in inclement weather on a regular basis. For those of us that like shooting from watercraft and/or in inclement weather it is reason to move to Olympus. After destroying a Canon 500/4 x2 and a 1D due to water I made the switch and since then have not had one issue with weather sealing despite actually doing even more "dangerous" stuff with my gear.

That's kinda what I mean. I needed good weathersealing too, but it probably should be the default for such expensive and electronic gear meant to be used outdoors. Olympus never got enough praise for this, but at the same time this feature should not stand out so much to begin with. Same with their dust removal system. It should have become the standard.

I very much agree, I've noticed it as well with the dust on the Sony sensor, I never had any issues with anything like that on Olympus and Micro Four Thirds sensors have a lot more DoF and spots would be a lot more noticeable even at f 2.8
I am waiting for OM Solutions and their WoW camera to see how much and what they are improving.

I never even realized dust was still such a big problem until watching some post-processing videos recently showing dust removal from files. A basic but major problem of the digital interchangeable lens camera but still yet to be solved by so many? I was surprised. The guy does videos where he post-processes photos for others using Capture One, and he was shocked when he saw an ORF file and there were no dust spots that he had to spend any time fixing.

Some people might emphasize the need for Olympus/OM to catch up with technology and computation, and this is an example why I disagree. In some ways, it's the other systems that need to catch up.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
That's kinda what I mean. I needed good weathersealing too, but it probably should be the default for such expensive and electronic gear meant to be used outdoors. Olympus never got enough praise for this, but at the same time this feature should not stand out so much to begin with. Same with their dust removal system. It should have become the standard.

I never even realized dust was still such a big problem until watching some post-processing videos recently showing dust removal from files. A basic but major problem of the digital interchangeable lens camera but still yet to be solved by so many? I was surprised. The guy does videos where he post-processes photos for others using Capture One, and he was shocked when he saw an ORF file and there were no dust spots that he had to spend any time fixing.

Some people might emphasize the need for Olympus/OM to catch up with technology and computation, and this is an example why I disagree. In some ways, it's the other systems that need to catch up.
But I was surprised that Olympus has not caught up on one very basic but brilliant piece of tech: Canon's Auto Close Shutter when the camera is off. Nikon has started implementing it (can't remember if Sony has with their a1) with their new Z9 ... Can't it be just something that EVERYONE has it, maybe Olympus can trade their SSW for it?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
But I was surprised that Olympus has not caught up on one very basic but brilliant piece of tech: Canon's Auto Close Shutter when the camera is off. Nikon has started implementing it (can't remember if Sony has with their a1) with their new Z9 ... Can't it be just something that EVERYONE has it, maybe Olympus can trade their SSW for it?
The new A7 IV has it, but as was pointed out to me dust can settle on the shutter just as easily and be transferred to the sensor during actuations. I'd still take an ear syringe with me to blow dust off when shooting in those conditions.

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur

Do you have a blog post about post exposure clean and care?

And another one for what you do to maintain the seals?

Real Name
Walter
Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom