I miss my OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Sep 7, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ugh I've been through this two, and I still don't learn! My first SLR camera was an Olympus E-520 and loved it. I think that's why I love Olympus.

I moved to the T2i, and got used to it after a while. I would have kept it, but my cousin offered to buy it at the same price I bought it for, and I couldn't say no to that. I also really wanted the OM-D, and I thought the money from the T2i could be used to purchase the OM-D. I did buy the OM-D and didn't have any problems with it, BUT I really couldn't get used to the EVF. I stayed with it though, but sold it 5 months after because of the EVF. I really missed the OVF, and I sold the OM-D. I saw a very good deal on a Pentax camera, and I bought it. When I got it I was sad because I wasn't happy with it. I was used to the focusing on the OM-D and on the Pentax it was slow, and the white balance seemed to be off most of the time. I ended up selling the camera, and went back to an OM-D (a silver one the second time). I kept the OM-D this time for 4 months, and just sold it because because of the same thing: the EVF. I just can't get used to it.

Now I have a Canon SL1, and I don't know what to think. I'm SO happy with the OVF, but I keep comparing it with the OM-D. The images seem very good, but the plastic feel and look of the camera bugs me. This was never a problem when I had the T2i. I don't understand why it bugs me now (spoiled by the OM-D?). I feel like some of the buttons could break and fall because of the plastic feel. I'm also just starting to realize how great IBIS really is. With the SL1 the ISO keeps going up to 3200 and 6400 most of the times, but shouldn't be a problem once the Sigma 30mm F1.4 arrives. I could also set the auto ISO to go up to 3200. The body is small, but some lenses are very big. I like carrying my camera with me wherever I go.

Right now I'm thinking I should stay with the SL1 to see how I feel about it, but have been thinking about the OM-D again or trying out the E-P5. I have to decide whether I want the small compact size or want the OVF. :/

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wait for the E-M1? It has the most advanced EVF to date. Gonna cost ya though. $$$

3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was also thinking about waiting for the E-M1, but the price is a bit high for me right now.

Oh and something else I forgot to mention is that the video from the SL1 seems soft compared to the video on the OM-D. Videos taken with the OM-D seem very sharp. I miss that. :/

4. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    While I love my E-P5, I do miss the EM-5 not only was it the camera that convinced me to ditch my FF gear but also the size and styling. It's such a handsome, compact camera that I want to get another one as backup/display piece. hahaha

I thought the EVF on it was great...

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Well... I'd say you'd be happy with the E-M5 replacement that's coming next spring. I know I will be. :biggrin:

6. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well compared to the NEX cameras, I think the EVF is better on the OM-D. I remember before buying the first OM-D, I had never used seen or used one. I went to Best Buy to try out the EVF on the NEX 7, and I was unimpressed. I was surprised that the EVF on the OM-D wasn't so bad. I just can't get used to an EVF though, and I prefer an OVF.

The OM-D is actually very handsome. lol! I remember taking so many pictures of it during my trips, and I said "Hey! You're supposed to be taking the pictures." lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know what else it is? I think it's also emotional attachment to the camera because it was with me at the times when I was very happy. It's been touched by bands/artists I like, is always a conversation starter, has been with me to many cities. :'( haha

So you actually got rid of your FF equipment? :O Why? What did you have? I did think about the Canon 6D with a 40mm pancake to keep it small and light.

I think I would also be very happy with the E-M5 replacement. haha. :D Oh! Another con I can think of about the OM-D is that the menu seems very slow, and flipping through the pictures. That's the only con I could think of.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd try the E-P5 and VF-4 and see how you like that. If not, get the VF-1 and a 17mm 1.8 lens and slap it on an E-P5. You'll get a OVF! :wink:

8. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I had a 5DII a few yrs back and a D600 + OMD at the same time. I wanted to keep both but the D600 wasn't seeing much use. Looking at the files from the 5D and D600, it really wasn't that much of a difference compared to the EM-5 and for a casual shooter like me they had to go.

I too am interested to see what the EM-5 replacement will be like. The EM-1 is getting too close to a traditional DSLR.

I'll probably pick up another EM-5 for cheap knowing it will soon be replaced just because it's such an awesome camera.

9. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would like to see the E-P5 in person to see how it is, and try it with the VF-4. hahah. Actually monk3y was selling a used E-P5, and I was so tempted to buy it, but the money I had was spent on the SL1. I was sure I would like the SL1 though. I was happy with it when I tried it at Best Buy. :/ I would like that combo. The 17mm 1.8 looks like a good lens. :D

That's interesting daum. :D I'm also a casual shooter, and FF seems great for bokeh. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably have the 6D and an OM-D or E-P5. haha. Is the menu system on the E-P5 faster than the OM-D or is it the same? I like how fast I could review the pictures on the Canon SL1.

10. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Have you tried a Fuji X series? I've never tried the X Pro 1 myself but I did give a go with my buddy's X100S and as soon as it comes in stock I may try and track one down, the hybrid EVF/OVF is great.

11. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was actually thinking about that camera, but I wasn't impressed with the video. The pictures look very good though at high ISOs.

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Maybe because my first camera was a G3, I don't get the OVF thing. I could never "prefer" it over EVF. Sorry about the off topic.

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I have a VF-4 and it's the best EVF I've ever used and a level better than the OM-D and VF-2 EVF. As good as it is, I still prefer the optical on my 5D MKII. In fact, I prefer the clarity and always on VF-1 bright line finder over the VF-4 when using a 17mm on my Oly.

Now the VF-4 is perfectly useable and gets the job done but the electronic look bugs me, especially in bright and low light. Oddly, in even diffused light the VF-4 is amazing and almost natural. It falls short in sunlit landscapes due to clipped dynamic range, resulting in blocked up shadows and an ultra high contrast look. In low light it over brightens and the noise is distracting. With that said, it has much less smearing during pans than the OM-D/VF-2 due to the faster refresh rate and I've been able to pan runners and skaters without feeling like I'm drunk.

14. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha it's ok tdekany.

I think that's one of the things. The electronic look bugs me. I usually suffer from migraines, and one time when using the OM-D I started with a migraine. It was probably just a coincidence, but I'm nervous when using the EVF. I feel like I'll get a migraine. I've gotten them from being on the computer, and looking at super bright screens. :/

15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I really like the shadows/highlights alert with EVF. I think I would find it hard for me to switch back to a camera that doesn't have it.

To the OP, you sound like you have a good grasp on what your needs are. I'd say sit down, let the GAS subside a little... have a good think on what your priorities are; OVF, shallow DOF, size, looks, video, autofocus. Unfortunately your probably going to have accept compromises and will need to accept the limitations of the chosen camera system. OR remortgage the house and buy all the camera gear you want :)

16. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

If you stick to last year's models it's not very pricy to run two systems--FF DSLR and M43--and enjoy the best of both worlds. This summer the GX1 and E-P3 were on closeout for about $200 and both have metal bodies and pair nicely with a 6D or 5D2. If EVFs bug you and you can stick to primes on M43, the clip-on bright line finders are great: super bright and always on.

17. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, GAS is a terrible thing! I think I'm going to try out the SL1 for like two weeks, and if things don't work out buy an OM-D again or the E-P5. Hopefully the E-M1 is 1500 with a lens, but that's wishful thinking and don't think it would happen. haha

1,000 to 1,400 is the most I could probably spend on a camera and lenses, so for now I can only have one system. :( The VF1 seems great though. :O

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    To each his own ,but I find the OVF's in the cheap, entry level DSLRs to be awful. Dim and small, like viewing the scene through a tunnel. I think the EVF in the Oly, and the latest Panasonic's are sigificantly better.

If you're talking about the EVF in a good midi-range DSLR, or a FF camera, then the balance shifts, but those cheap, dim, porro-prism finders are, to me, as bad as composing on the LCD.

But, if you really don't want an EVF, then your only choice in m43 is to use the LCD to compose. I don't think you'll ever see an m43 camera with an OVF.

19. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is true. I was going to buy a Nikon D5200, but after trying it at Best Buy I was very unhappy with the viewfinder. It was super small! The SL1's viewfinder is a tad bigger, and is usable in my opinion.

I don't think I'll ever see an OVF on m43 either.

I'm just going to wait. I want to try the SL1 with the Sigma 30mm Art lens. It was supposed to arrive yesterday, but now I have to wait until Monday. The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 should also arrive on Monday. What a weird combination of such a small body with the heavy lens. haha.

20. The SL1 is really a different class of camera compared to the E-M5 (not DSLR vs mirrorless but price and features) so it might be a little unfair to make direct comparisons between the two.