I might start saving up... The E-M5's IBIS is ridiculous. (Clip inside)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by napilopez, Feb 21, 2012.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Ridiculously good that is. Just thought I'd share this with those of you who haven't seen it yet:

The guy is shaking the camera more than you most people probably ever will for stills, and yet you can see once the IBIS turns on(when he presses the shutter button), the live view feed is as smooth as butter.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-wfkpDut4&feature=channel]Olympus OM-D E-M5 - image stabilization (1) - YouTube[/ame]

There's a second video on that channel that shows more drastic shaking from different angles as well. That one is a bit too exaggerated so IBIS doesn't keep up quite as perfectly as in the first, but still, more than you will probably ever need or should expect. They also demonstrate a few other features.

Darn it, I'm very happy with my G3, which I already spent a long time saving up for. But I might have to consider selling it. Since I do most of my shooting either indoors in the afternoon or later, never use a tripod, and in those situations use adapted lenses(with no IS, of course) almost exclusively, this IBIS and iso performance would be a godsend.

Also, since this is my first post(despite lurking for some months), I just wanna say hi to everyone!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Very nice. If it can work that well with adapted telephotos as well I will have to buy this camera.

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

WELCOME

Great to have ya. I ordered two of the EM-5s:biggrin: From different suppliers to insure I got at least one of them in the first batch. :tongue: Was thinking I'd just cancel the one from the more tardy supplier. But these days I'm thinking I'll put the second one on ebay for a healthy profit. :eek:

4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Hah, I just edited my post above to mention how I might have to sell my G3(which I just got in december), and save up for this since I shoot with adapted lenses in inadequate light about 70% of the time(for the sake of the cost savings, and because I feel focusing manually helps me learn more about composition). Poor college kid with his first camera better than the one in his cellphone here XD.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's treading on dangerous territory, man... You could love it so much that you can't get rid of it and end up using it as a second body with different lenses!

I know that's what happens to me...

6. nueces snapper

he he he ... Ned at the level I practice photography my second body is an iPhone. :biggrin:

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im about to have 3 cameras now:redface:... i thought id sell my e30 when i got my ep3... then i thought id sell the ep3 to get the em5... ok.. i PROMISE to sell everything for my m10 ;D

8. nueces snapper

You gotta count backwards. You know like with Starwars. :biggrin: They gave it a 5 cause it's the midrange offering of the new OM line. Next they will probably bring out with the 3 or 2 ... teasing us all with the possibility of a 1 in some utopian all-good future. :biggrin:

of course there will never be a 4. There's never a 4. Unless its a Mark IV. :rofl: