1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I might go aps-c because I want a smaller camera.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ghetto, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I've been wanting a smaller camera (with out going any smaller on the sensor) so I was looking up which of the panny / oly cameras was the smallest when I came across this :

Sony NEX 3N Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

and found out that the nex-3n is the smallest.... I'd have the smallest pancake prime glued to it like I have the (old) 17mm glue to my oly right now.

Now the good news is... it takes me for-ever to buy gear, I have to wait for that to become completely out dated and then show up on ebay for about $150... :tongue: By then, oly & panny may have come up with their own mini-versions. There's a rumour panny is about to release a mini-gx and hopefully with oly and sony as best-buds sony will help them make a real/proper mini-ep.

I just thought I'd put it out there... reasons to go :43: can be a little dodgy at times.

I was recently reading up and for all the praises of the OMD sensor, it's only roughly as good as a 5 year old D90.

Now I find out we're not even smaller than an APS-C camera. :redface:

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    "I was recently reading up and the OMD sensor is roughly as good as as 5 year old D90."

Hmm. I thought it was roughly as good as the 5D MKII.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Some Nikon fanb0ys would tell you that's the same thing.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am not sure what the purpose of the OP's post is? The post seems silly as the OP only waits to purchase gear when it is being dumped on eBay. That said, I will still take an E-PM2 or E-PL5 over the Sony.

5. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    OP just believes that E-M5 is only as good as D90. That's his purpose to start a "discussion" here.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'll ignore the loaded issue about how good the sensors are and just deal with the OP's premise about why he was looking at getting a mirrorless camera in the first place:

Sony NEX cameras are pretty small, but their lenses are bigger than the comparable FOV lenses on M4/3.

7. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

I wouldn't.

The Sony Nex 3n is a tiny and can pump out some amazing shots...

But I understand your feelings towards the E-pl5, that is also sweet..

One thing the E-PL5 has in its favor is the tremendous lenses available...

The Sony was $399, making it a KILLER bargain.....

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Not the pancake zoom on the Nex 3n.

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Right. Thanks, I will unsubscribe from this thread.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you're seriously looking for a cheap NEX with good performance, you might also want to look at the F3. The F3 gives you the option of adding an the EVF if you want to whereas with the 3N, you can't do it.

But the 3N is smaller than the F3.

Always a trade-off :smile:

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's still bigger than the 3 pancake lenses in Micro 4/3 - and slower than two of them

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  13. Look, my "compact camera" is a Samsung NX200 with two pancake lenses, which like the Sony NEX has a larger APS-C sensor compared to my Micro 4/3 gear. The reason why I'm not here making posts like the OP's is because the APS-C mirrorless cameras don't match up as an overall package to what is currently available in Micro 4/3. And if and when they do...am I going to do some kind of massive purge (popularly known as: "Look at me, I'm dumping my brand X gear for brand Y!!!")? Unlikely.

If a Sony NEX 3N looks like a better camera for you, nobody's going to be offended if you buy one. Good luck in your decision.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This is pretty much what I did when I converted to Micro Four Thirds - I dumped my Nikon DSLR gear in favor of primarily Olympus Micro Four Thirds Equipment. :wink:

I've already done it one time - doesn't mean I can't do it again :smile:

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I tried a first generation NEX-3 with the 16mm pancake lens. The camera body was fine, but the lens left a whole lot to be desired, IMHO. I returned it while I could. I hope you have better luck if you switch.

--Ken

16. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

A comparison pic just taken, the lens is bigger, but again it is a ZOOM, but the camera is still tiny, though the OMD is way sexier! the OMD is sporting the magical 14mm f/2.5.

0719-1.

0719-2.

I do think that the tiny Sony Nex is incredible for its tiny size considering the APS-C sensor is much larger.

17. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    The NEX-3N is worth a try if you can grab it cheap. I got one on-sale from Best Buy not too long ago. Nice photos, but I found the user interface somewhat clunky and impeding compared to Panasonic and Olympus. And for a pancake lens, the 16-50 looks and feels girthy in practice. I probably would have had a better experience with the NEX-6 or 7, but the 3N left me feeling kind of meh. I ended up selling it two weeks after I got it. In the end sensor size isn't everything. I can name half a dozen older 12MP m43 cameras that I would take over the 3N.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    One key issue is, everything I've heard about that Sony 16mm pancake lens is that it's nowhere near as good as the Panasonic 14mm or 20mm pancakes - it's extremely soft outside the center of the field. If that's going to be your main lens, I believe that it basically wastes the underlying capability of the NEX cameras.

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Damn straight that the OMD is WAY sexier!

20. That of course being a switch from one fundamentally different type of camera system to another (of which I did a similar thing myself going from Canon to Olympus/Panasonic).