I met Joe Edelman and Nathan (that Pen F guy)

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
I met Joe Edelman and Nathan at an Olympus event at my local camera store tonight. It was really cool to meet them in person.
I'm sure you all know Joe, but here is a video with Nathan showing off the PenF. I'm going to do a short video on my channel about my visit soon.
P2270018.MOV_000005708.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P2270017.MOV_000005500.jpg

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It's strange - I've had a Pen F for a while, but I'm finding myself using it more and more.

I just really like its feel and handling. It's not as capable as my EM1.2, but it's more than able to handle most things I throw at it - and it's so pretty! Who says that cameras aren't jewellery!

Real Name
Chris
Hi Rob,
I was at the event last night too. Would have liked to say hi. They had good deals on the EM1-mkiii and it was nice to get to hold and shoot with the new 12-45 lens.

Enjoy some of your local videos.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
it's more than able to handle most things I throw at it - and it's so pretty! Who says that cameras aren't jewellery!
And the latter sums it up IMHO................Nothing more than (class) jewellery. An impulse buy, I fell for the aesthetics at a time that I was a bit "flushed" financially, but priorities changed and I realised that I had fallen into a marketing trap. Due to my style of shooting, mainly AV or manual, and the fact that I could reproduce via Nik Collection or Topaz anything that the Pen F could do in camera, I sold out pretty quickly and availed myself of an Em5mkll and Em10mkll body for the return with dollars to spare. Seriously? The price! .......................whatever floats your boat but the PenF will not improve your photographic skills or aspirations IMHO. OTOH it's aesthetics and handling may inspire you to "shoot more" but that begs the question, why does aesthetics provoke this? The PenF really offers nothing more (IMHO) than aesthetic appeal, a minimal improvement in sensor size, and an art/dial/programming that offers you "in camera processing" nothing that you can't achieve in PP. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bloody thing for it's aesthetics and handling but the price!! FFS!

In the future, it's likely to be sought after as a "classic" but just as it is with so many limited editions of any items nowadays, that's nothing more than hype. If the PenF makes you get out and shoot more and you've got dollars to spare, all's well with the world. If OTOH it's acquisition simply makes you think that you will produce better images purely by owning it, then you're likely to be disappointed.

<dons fallout helmet>

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
And the latter sums it up IMHO................Nothing more than (class) jewellery. An impulse buy, I fell for the aesthetics at a time that I was a bit "flushed" financially, but priorities changed and I realised that I had fallen into a marketing trap. Due to my style of shooting, mainly AV or manual, and the fact that I could reproduce via Nik Collection or Topaz anything that the Pen F could do in camera, I sold out pretty quickly and availed myself of an Em5mkll and Em10mkll body for the return with dollars to spare. Seriously? The price! .......................whatever floats your boat but the PenF will not improve your photographic skills or aspirations IMHO. OTOH it's aesthetics and handling may inspire you to "shoot more" but that begs the question, why does aesthetics provoke this? The PenF really offers nothing more (IMHO) than aesthetic appeal, a minimal improvement in sensor size, and an art/dial/programming that offers you "in camera processing" nothing that you can't achieve in PP. Don't get me wrong, I loved the bloody thing for it's aesthetics and handling but the price!! FFS!

In the future, it's likely to be sought after as a "classic" but just as it is with so many limited editions of any items nowadays, that's nothing more than hype. If the PenF makes you get out and shoot more and you've got dollars to spare, all's well with the world. If OTOH it's acquisition simply makes you think that you will produce better images purely by owning it, then you're likely to be disappointed.

<dons fallout helmet>
Well, let's break this down...

- Will it give you technically better images than other m43 cameras? - No

- Is it an ideal all-round camera? - No (no weather sealing, poor AF, relatively slow operation, poor handling with bigger lenses).

- Does it fit some niche? - Yes, it's very good travel & street camera.

- Is it a well-designed & well-made camera that oozes quality and pride of ownership? - Yes

- Is its build quality better than other m43 cameras? - Yes, I think so.

- Can it motivate the photographer to go out and shoot more? - Yes

- Will it become a classic? - No - like any digital camera it'll become unrepairable at some point. Classic cameras still need to take images. Go buy a Leica M6 if you want a classic.

- Is it better that it exists rather than not? - Yes

- Is it right for you? - Well, that's for each of us to decide. I was ambivalent at first - but now I'm in no hurry to see it go. It works for me.

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
It's strange - I've had a Pen F for a while, but I'm finding myself using it more and more.

I just really like its feel and handling. It's not as capable as my EM1.2, but it's more than able to handle most things I throw at it - and it's so pretty! Who says that cameras aren't jewellery!
I love the PenF. If I could only have one camera, that would be it.

Real Name
Richard

<dons fallout helmet>
Yeah, yeah. Following this logic we would all be driving around in Dacia Dusters (or the Aussie equivalent) - but even if we did, I guarantee it would not be long before someone lowered their suspension (and ruined it), and turned it into a convertible (and ruined it even more). Aesthetics are important to a lot of people.

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
Hi Rob,
I was at the event last night too. Would have liked to say hi. They had good deals on the EM1-mkiii and it was nice to get to hold and shoot with the new 12-45 lens.

Enjoy some of your local videos.
Sorry I missed you, Chris. I ended up getting the Mark III. Almost made it out but GAS took over.

Real Name
Chris
Sorry I missed you, Chris. I ended up getting the Mark III. Almost made it out but GAS took over.
I walked out with a mkiii also. Not a huge upgrade from my mkii but I am excited by in anyway.

The new facial and eye tracking seems better and I tried the star focusing last night with some success.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik

<dons fallout helmet>
I must admit that a great image processor that gives you great out-of-camera .jpgs, in combination with the built in bluetooth/WiFi is perhaps the thing that has changed my shooting style the most. What I'm experiencing now, with the E-M5 mk.III is that about 90 % of my images are how I like them to be, straight out of camera. The ability to import those images wirelessly to my iPhone and straight into my iCloud so that I can share them on the go is a godsend. I dislike spending lots of time post processing and editing on my computer. The ability to spend more time shooting, and much less time fiddling on my computer, is always appreciated. My only wish now would be for Olympus to speed up the connection/transfer process with firmware, as it's currently a little bit slow.

Real Name
Chris
What did you think of the 12-45?
I really liked the look of it. It seems right at home on the M5 and even a little small looking on the M1 (probably because I am used to seeing larger lenses on it).

It comes with a decent reversible hood, focuses fast just like other pro lenses, and seems sharp.

The Olympus Reps all discussed how sharp this lens was and that it could be used wide open (f4) with no drawbacks. Just what I want to hear but they might be a little biased.

I had my P12-35/2.8 with me. They told me that the O12-45 would be sharper than my lens at f4. Again, I know they are not unbiased but there was a lot of enthusiasm for that lens.

The lens would be a perfect match, and looks awesome, on the M5s (or even the Pen).

I took a few shots on a sample M5-mkiii camera which was available (which I have no idea what the overall settings were). See attached at 12 and 45.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I really liked the look of it. It seems right at home on the M5 and even a little small looking on the M1 (probably because I am used to seeing larger lenses on it).

It comes with a decent reversible hood, focuses fast just like other pro lenses, and seems sharp.

The Olympus Reps all discussed how sharp this lens was and that it could be used wide open (f4) with no drawbacks. Just what I want to hear but they might be a little biased.

I had my P12-35/2.8 with me. They told me that the O12-45 would be sharper than my lens at f4. Again, I know they are not unbiased but there was a lot of enthusiasm for that lens.

The lens would be a perfect match, and looks awesome, on the M5s (or even the Pen).

I took a few shots on a sample M5-mkiii camera which was available (which I have no idea what the overall settings were). See attached at 12 and 45.
Same here, my Oly 12-100 Pro is the my most used on my E-M1.2 followed by my PanLeica 8-18. So the 12-45 Pro will b4e nice and light on that, even lighter than my Sigma 56. But I'm most looking forward to using it on my Pen F.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom