I love this camera (OM-D)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellow, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    A storm was rolling in just as the sun had set and the moon rising. I grabbed my OM-D and quickly snapped a bunch of pics. At first I didn't pay attention to settings, and I'd left the ISO at 200. Here was my first capture:

As I heard the shutter fire my immediate reaction was: uh-oh. 1/4 second, standing on a slowly heaving boat, FL=14mm. But the IBIS on the OM-D is just so . . . amazing! Here's a 100+% crop of the ridge-edge of the image:

Unbelievable. Tack-sharp from edge to edge at 1/4 second!

Later, as the clouds rolled in heavier I switched on auto-ISO. Ten minutes later I took this picture:

Now I'm at 1/80 seconds, which is good, but ISO 3200! Nonetheless the picture is great: fabulous DR, rich colors, wonderful. I continue to be amazed at just how much better this camera is than my previous m43 gear. It may be a bit too heavy for my tastes, the buttons a little too small, the grip a little lacking . . . but dang it takes great pictures.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I actually prefer the first photo - primarily because of the clouds, they wrap around perfectly from right to left. It's just a great composition and very dramatic. I love my E-P3, but the sensor and IBIS in the EM-5 really are outstanding.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I really love it too

I say if they put focus peaking in this thing ( see tag line ) I probably wouldn't buy another body for three years. So we probably won't see such a firmware upgrade. :frown:
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

SO u are looking for an excuse to dump ur OMD? focus peaking is like cheating ..hahaahahah

• Like Like x 1
  5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You bet. I'm such a lazy photographer I need every advantage I can dig up. :tongue:
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Both are very nice, and I agree with everything you said about OM-D. I'm so glad they decided to put this sensor in the new Pens. Pity they don't get the 5-axis IBIS, but the sensor was more important.
  7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I kind of wonder how big the 5-axis IBIS is. Craming that into the PL or PM might not be feasible at this point. Of course it could be based on marketing decisions but if the fake prizm on the E-M5 is full of electronics...
  8. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    The 'fake' prism has microphones, components of the IS system and the viewfinder components. No need for it at all when you look at it. :rolleyes:
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    If that's true . . . wow, don't get my hopes up! A E-PMx body with the OM-D sensor AND the 5-axis IBIS would be about my dream camera. If they ever managed to shoehorn an EVF in there too I'd be over the moon.
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Ya? But that's what makes it an OM, rather than just another BORING PEN!

If it wasn't for the OM look, I would still happily be using REGULAR FourThirds...I had no interest in the Micro bodies until the OM-D body came along!