I love the electronic shutter / silent mode on my GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 14
  2. onlyablur

onlyablur Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2012
    Hungary
    I love the silent mode on my G6 as well! Although it has a limit for up to iso 1600...so sometimes in low light indoor scenes, I have to turn it off and the loud shutter sound attracts subjects' attention...

Is there such a limit on GX7 too? I was originally considering GX7 mainly for this feature (to take photos of our baby), but then I found out G6 has the electronic shutter as well so I went for it instead.

3. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    The electronic shutter limit on the GX7 is ISO 3200.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Wonderful family moment Amin! :smile: :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Priceless moment! That is what I like about gx7, so I have only one shot w/ mech shutter to hear how loud it was, then all all e-shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    It is a great feature. I set the Fn3 button to toggle the silent mode off and on. For GH3 users, there is a firmware update that adds the silent mode to the custom menu.

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    One of the best feature of the gx7 me thinks. Its a leica killer in my book!

It also suppress shutter shocks at low shutter speed!

8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    It's one of the features, along with the built-in EVF, that caused me to up-grade from the E-P3. I also like the option to trigger the shutter with a half-press. I think it helps reduce camera shake quite a bit.

9. justins7

justins7 New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    I loved it too, with my new GX7 -- until many of the photos had horrible horizontal streaks in them. I know this was because of the fluorescent lights; it is mentioned in the manual, which says to change the shutter speed to fix the problem. But I don't think that's a good option in low-light (to which shutter speed?), so I'm now back to the loud shutter. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes, it is great for stealth mode. :)

11. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I took many shots at night in NY w/ 12mm f2, mostly wide open, and I found only a couple photos at Broadway w/ big electronic signs showed the horizontal streaks. I had many photos inside the Grand Central station, inside and out at Rockefeller w/ no problems. Maybe it is just fluorescent lights/lcd tvs causing it. The camera kept the min shutter at 1/60 until it reached the max ISO 3200 or slower then 1/60 when I tried to shot slower speeds to show movement. First 9 rows are from NY, starting w/ third photo in first row:
    http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/new_york

• Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    What a great moment captured!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

As well as the limit to ISO3200 the Flash does not work either :(

John.

14. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    flash isn't very stealthy!

I getr the banding when a few fluo lights are dominant in a frame too.

The advantages of the silent shutter are way more predominant than its drawnbacks.

15. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    A question that came up at my new years party...yes we're that boring... Does electronic shutter have any disadvantages over a mechanical one?

16. justins7

justins7 New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    So, do I need to set me shutter speed to 1/60 or faster to avoid the streaks?

17. justins7

justins7 New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    Streaks

See attached -- mostly under fluorescent lights.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.