I love Panasonic but i am missing an electronic stabilizer

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bluez, Oct 8, 2016.

1. bluez

bluez New to Mu-43

Oct 8, 2016
    My first m4/3 was a Olympus E-PL1, i bought it in 2010. Later i bought GF5, then G5 and this spring the G7. The G7 is amazing, i love 4K, 4K photo mode, and i also like the silent mode with the G7 for street photography. So here is somthing that bother me a little. I usually uses jpeg only and the E-PL1 goes only up to 3200 iso. At levels from iso 800 the noise reduction used by the camera is very week, but that is what i prefer, the grains reminds me about film.

The "problem" is that i bought a Olympus 45mm 1.8 a few years ago and this lens with the built in electronic IS in the Olympus, produces nice hand held low light pictures. So now I always use the G7 with the kit-lens or a Panasonic 45-175 with built in IS. But for low light street photography i am still using the E-PL1 even if it makes almost as much noise as an DSLR.
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I'm not sure where you're going - but just for the record, the Panasonic GX series, particularily the GX8*, and the new G8* both sport good I.B.I.S. - which is "in-body" stabilsiation, not "electronic" stablisation (the latter would mean that the camera corrects the image for motion blur when writing the image - usually only for the JPEG; Nikon used to offer something like this a couple of years agos ... its effect was awful). I own the GX80, and its I.B.I.S. is at least on par with the Olympus E-M10, if not slightly better in low light (I like Olympus' implementation a bit better overall because it's better behaved in good light and using shorter shutter speeds with which you actually wouldn't need the I.B.I.S.).

The way you describe it, I think you'd love the G8* - it's basically a slightly beefed up G7 on the outside, but with Panasonic's best I.B.I.S. plus lots of small improvements. I handled it at Photokina - great camera in the hand, and technically top-notch in spite of its "enthusiast" tier pricing and marketing.

3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    The Olympus 45mm will still be fine on your G7 but will need faster shutter speeds. If you are shooting at 1/160 or faster I can't imagine you would need stabilisation. At f/1.8 and 1/160, your ISO will still be within usable bounds in all but the darkest spaces.

IBIS is great but it's not essential, and the slower shutter speeds aren't great for many sorts of photography.
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    You could also swap over to the Panasonic 42.5/1.7 which has optical image stabilization, and you probably wouldn't lose much on the trade if you bought used.