I love my OMD Em1 II but.......

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I do have to say, the new Panasonic G9 has a couple of killer features I really wish Olympus had implemented on the EM1 II.

Firstly, an AF joystick. If you have never used one, I can't tell you how nice it is to move the AF point around using this joystick (and it's doesn't tie up the 4 way D-Pad on the back). Both my Nikon D500 and Fuji X-T2 have them and they are a joy to use.

Secondly, USB charging. Again something the G9 and XT-2 can do which is great when you are away from an AC socket and can either charge in the car or via an external powerbank.

Much bigger EVF that's zoomable (different magnifications) - haven't seen this in the flesh yet, but from what I have read it's supposed to be simply sublime.

4K @ 60fps and a proper slow motion (Full HD) at up to 180fps.

Top LCD display is also really nice so the rear LCD can be facing inboard for protection most of the time and still be able to see the settings without having to raise the camera to your eye.

At first I thought the G9 was much bigger than the EM1 II, but looking at the specs it's only a few mm wider and taller (136.9 vs 134.1 W and 97.3 vs 90.9 H), although it is 84g heavier.

If i knew the Dual Sync IS would work with my Olympus Pro Lenses (12-100 and 300mm F4) - which of course it won't, then assuming it's as good as the reviews say, it would be mighty tempting !

Anyone else think the G9 looks like a really nice camera ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm an E-M1II owner and looking at the G9 it looks like a great camera. I personally find that having all the option (And intra-competition) with Micro Four Thirds means you end up with a lot of great winners in terms of camera bodies. I'm pretty satisfied with what I got my E-M1II for (PDAF for adapted glass, HR mode, better high ISO performance) but if I have spare money in the far future and prices go down I probably would pick it up as another body out of wanting to acquire one.

If you want a bigger EVF on any Olympus body there's a really simple option: Get a 1.2x/1.22x magnifier and adapt it onto your EVF. Since you have an EVF you can crank the brightness all the way up and have a huge viewfinder. On the E-M1II in EVF style 3 you have a 0.9x image, but the corners do clip out on one side if you're wearing glasses. Using style 2 you get the image not clipping out (Similar to the G9's reduced display mode) but the information does clip a little, mainly the battery indicator and shots remaining but that doesn't matter too much.

I find having more buttons and control as being a good thing, so I agree on the AF joystick. Given that you have the LCD touchpad function on both Olympus and Panasonic now as well, but I never found that function as being too comfortable for myself.

USB charging I'm really, really apathetic to. Nice to have, but I just get an aftermarket USB charger with two bays and keep that in my bag. They're barely larger than the OEM charger anyways. Now if you said "USB tethering for power" for long exposures or continuous shooting sessions to reduce drain or eliminate drain on the main battery then you caught my attention.

These are my thoughts on a top plate display:
    Honestly it is really nice to have so many differentiating options for a single mount. Sure there's some overlap but it means there's a camera for every shooter or situation a shooter would want a specific body/lens for but they all interchange in the end so you're never limited. You're not stuck with a single "pro level body" and then left with a "semi pro level body" that loses out on a lot of functionality just to see a small size shrink. You get to instead have a rangefinder or a tiny soap bar when you really want one, but they all have the same mount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    About the only thing that would attract me to the G9 over my E-M1ii would be the bigger EVF.

Top display - when I ran Canon DSLRs I never used the top display, never mind in m43 world with EVF and live view.
    AF joystick - the use of the touch screen on the E-M1ii to move the focus point works well enough.
    USB charging - no interest. I'd prefer to have spare batteries and charge then separately.
    Anything video - zero interest! I don't understand or do video.

OTOH, the loss of LiveComp/ViewTime would be a MAJOR loss for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I was thrilled about the USB charging on my GX800 but learned the hard way that the camera can't be operated when USB cord is attached. I thought I could power up the camera with either USB charger or USB power bank for super long time lapse shots but no. Can't be done - at least on GX800. :(

5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Cool!
    Did not know that it has USB charge.
    Looks like a amazing camera.

Hoping 60fps “pro capture” will be possible with Olympus lenses as well.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I believe the TCSTV preview with the Panasonic rep mentioned that the USB provides tether power. It's a wide micro-B connector.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes I think LiveComp/ViewTime is still an ace in the sleeve for Olympus

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I am waiting for the reviews from a few trusted sources to come out before I preorder but early indications are that this will be my next camera. It ticks a few boxes for me great video, USB charging and yes it will run off USB power packs, 6k photo, 2 card slots, and improved autofocus. The body looks like it is designed with pro shooters in mind and is probably the perfect size for the new Olympus 17 and 45mm 1.2s.
    I may be wrong but reading between the lines it seems Panasonic have put a decent processor in this camera which should be capable of implementing firmware upgrades and adding additional features in the future.
    As a sweetener here, Panasonic Australia are also including a free battery grip with preorders, nice.

9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Wow,what an improvement. I hated the fact that the GX-8 used the four way pad to move the AF point. Invariably you accidentally moved it off of where you wanted it. Then you had to go through a multi step procedure to recenter it. You could lock it but then had to unlock it to do any other functions with the four way pad. If they don't foul up other things,I will buy the GX-9 the day it goes on sale! Funny, these kind of things bother me more than the minutia,for example some people bring up,such as exact tint of the EVF,which can always be adjusted in PP and in the camera.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    As an E-M1 II owner, here are my thoughts:

Things better on the G9 (IMO):
    • Large EVF
    • No blackout when shooting C-AF
    • USB charging
    • FAR better video
    • Better focusing aids (adjustable PIP punch-in)
    Things that are "meh" (IMO)
    • Top plate LCD (not as needed on mirrorless as compared to DSLRs)
    • AF joystick (Olympus' Touchpad AF works great with my eye up to the EVF, making the AF joystick redundant)
    • Hi-res mode (need to wait to see how it compares to the E-M1 II)
    • AF-C performance (need to wait to see how it compares to the E-M1 II)
    • Size/Weight. Not a big deal for me, especially if the grip is sized such that I don't need an RRS plate to give my pinky finger a place to sit
    Things better on the E-M1 II (IMO)
    • Sync IS with my 12-100 PRO (would not sell the lens to get the PL 12-60, the Olympus is just so damn good)
    • Layout of the buttons for quick/easy setting changes is better on the E-M1 II (at least compared to the GH4, which largely shares the same layout as the G9)
    • No Live Time/Bulb/Comp settings. These are bloody fantastic for shooting long exposure.
    • > 1s exposures using the e-shutter

I think it's a great looking camera, and easily can go pound-for-pound against the E-M1 II. As a current E-M1 II owner, I'm not sure there's sufficient justification to make a switch to the G9. However, if I were a new user to the system, or a current Panasonic user looking to upgrade, the G9 would be a fantastic option.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    There is one thing the E-M1II makes up for in lacking a dedicated USB power capability (Still haven't found some form of USB power bank to HLD DC port device which would offset this a bit) is that it will let you hot swap the battery in the grip and then revert power back to the battery in the grip.

But again, choice is good. Panasonic puts a bit of pressure on Olympus (...To give us more firmware updates) and shooters have more options to pick and choose from for the camera they prefer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The G9 looks like it will be a great camera. However, having both the E-M1 ii and the GH5 adding the G9 doesn't make any kind of sense for me. OP - in the hand the GH5 is chunky than the E-Mi ii more than the specs would suggest, I suspect the G9 will be as well.

13. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    All new high-performing gear is tempting. And I'm really glad that Panasonic is pushing the competition - the G9 looks like a great camera. But it's unlikely I'll add this to my kit; I already have three different battery sets (E-M1, E-M1ii, GX7) and would like to eventually get to only one.

14. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I think I'm with you on most of those points. The AF joystick will be more attractive if it's faster than the one on the GH5 which I find frustratingly slow. The AF target can be moved more quickly with the E-M1 II touchpad, in my experience.

Not so sure I agree with you about video being "far" better though. These are the pros and cons I noticed in that regard:

Pro the G9:
    • 60p 4K — the E-M1 II max 4K framerate is 30fps
    • Up to 180fps in FHD — against 60fps on the E-M1 II
    • Auto ISO with exposure compensation in Manual exposure mode — you have to ride the exposure manually with the E-M1 II.
    Pro the E-M1 II:
    • C4K (4096 x 2160, 17:9, 24fps) at 237Mbps — this is a significantly higher data rate than the G9's 4K maximum of 150 Mbps, and IMHO looks really nice. The G9 doesn't appear to have C4K at all, according to the specs.
    • FHD (1920 x 1080) all-intra at 202Mbps — the G9 offers no all-intra modes at all, and the highest FHD bitrate available seems to be 20Mbps - ten times less than the E-M1 II.
    Both record standard 4:2:0 8bit GOP codecs, with 4:2:2 available on the HDMI output for external recording

So the G9 can shoot at higher frame rates and has more convenient exposure automation. The E-M1 II on the other hand offers lower compression rates and therefore, on paper at least, better looking video. Each has its own strengths, in other words.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    As a "closed screen" shooter, the af joystick is a major drawcard for me.

As someone noted above, there's a body in mft for virtually all shooting types and styles. Its great for the system as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have to agree with Alex about the AF joystick on the GH5, I don't use it at all for video and seldom for stills.

If I had to pick a camera to use for video, or as a B camera, I would pick the E-M1 ii unless there is a review that changes my mind.

FWIW - I shoot almost exclusively with frame rates of 24 or 30fps.

17. MichailK

MichailK New to Mu-43

Nov 6, 2017
    I am too poor to get any of these 2 flagships and appropriate top notch lenses
    BUT
    I find pretty annoying the crippled performance of OIS of one brand’s lenses on the other brand’s body in the same mft system, not to mention about the purple fringing reports of Panny lenses on Oly bodies (more than 2-3 instances it is no coincidence, Panny and Oly could have sorted such issues).
    I really hate how “they put fences in their part of the garden”.
    If I had a collection of top Oly lenses behaving great on the E-M1ii it would make me very angry to have their performance handicapped on the G9 and vice versa.
    DFD tech is another example - Oly and Panny should use such weapons against the Canikon empire and not against each other.

18. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Not meaning to disregard your frustrations but if they shared everything there would be little advantage to having two major manufacturers in the system. The competitive tension between Panasonic and Olympus is a key reason for the innovation m43 users benefit from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MichailK

MichailK New to Mu-43

Nov 6, 2017
    My frustrations are just for the fun of my empty wallet
    BUT
    the big cheese is the many folks at the Canikon mall fun park and not in the cute mft garden.
    When they get the mft garden big enough they can differentiate and fend off each other.
    As I see it they just harm the whole system expansion this way, even more so now their new and fancy mft bodies are sized as the APS-C ones with no BSI sensors yet and low light noise performance stuck back in 2012 or so which dictates very expensive pro lenses to fight back

20. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2017
    Are you able to keep the eye sensor functional with that setup? I have a tenpa magnifier that I used to use with my 1DX OVF and would love to use that with the E-M1ii but I can't see a good way of keeping the eye sensor functional.