I love my Olympus 45/1.8 but...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, May 17, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I really do not use it all that much. I can't complain about the images but when I go out i grab either my P14 or P20 most of the time.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7215271956/" title="Fire by dixeyk, on Flickr">"683" height="1024" alt="Fire"></a>

It's hard to let go of it but I am having a really hard time justifying keeping it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I dont own one but its a portrait lens imo. I have G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) so I'll probably buy it just to fill in the gaps.

3. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Definitely limited use, but if you have the room to use it, wow...nice lens.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I use it for portraits and some events.

When I had the 85/1.8 on Canon, that also got limited use. But it's affordable enough, IMO, to keep it. You know full well that if you sold it, you'd need it for something specific inside of a month! (at least, that's what always happens to me)

5. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    I am currently debating whether to get this lens next or a Sigma 30mm. I love what I've seen from the 45...but I I love the Panny 20 alot and I also have a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 that I absolutely LOVE using on the G3. The 30 would fill the gap more nicely between the 20 and the 50...

Ah...decisions, decisions :smile:

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was thinking about the 50 myself, but the 30 seems pretty slow aperture-wise compared to the 20 1.7 (good for low light shooting) and the 45 1.8 (better for shallow DOF on portraits). The 25 1.4 seems to be the better all-around lens, but at a price premium!

7. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I think the 45mm FL is still a really good one for outdoor events & I also often use it when walking the dog through woods and fields etc.

The 25 is on my camera now 95% of the time and I find I persuade myself it's the best in almost all circumstances (guess I just like it so much).

The only other lens that I think I'd use quite a bit would be the 12mm if only it came in black (Oly please note). I'd swap my hardly used UWA zoom in a heartbeat.

M

8. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    from my film days.

I shot Nikon for 40+ years, and had the 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm and the 200mm lens, though not all of them at the same time. The 105 and the 135 were just to long for most of what I did. Try taking a head shot in someones home with either, and you ended up outside a persons house. So the 85 was perfect for that type of shot. The 200 was great for sports, and I won a kodak contest from a shot at the beach, right after I bought it, while testing it out. The 28 seemed to wide and distorted things (when shooting in 35mm camera, does't seem to be that bad in m 4/3). So that left me with the 35, 50 and 85 for almost every thing I shot. The 35 was the lens that I went to most of the time for news events, and the 200 for sports. Each lens has it place and so all of our needs differ. For a long while no one shot with zoom, as they were not that sharp back then when compared to a prime lens.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The upcoming 75/1.8 is going to be nice, but we do need a fast 100 prime for just what Chuck is describing.

On a side note -- I am LOVING the m43 lenses. I think I will have to buy-back a PL25, and also get a 9-18 and a second body.

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I too found the Oly 45 to be a great lens, but of limited use to me due to the focal length. Ultimately I sold it, along with the Oly 17 and am replacing the pair with the Pany 20 which I feel will offer wider application indoors, where you can't always back up. I have several MF fast 50s for when I want to take portraits.

11. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I've been planning on buying this lens just to take pictures of my upcoming baby, for portraits or some real close ups of hands, feet and eyes. I am also afraid the same will happen to me of becoming limited use. Sometimes i wonder if buying a second body will be of much better use, have my two(14&20) lenses permanently attached to its own body...

@jgmankos - There is a sigma 30mm coming out? This would be a better focal length for me as well, but i never had any luck with sigma on canon so i just didnt bother with them. Ironically the sigma/canon lens i tried twice was also the 30mm f.14 :frown:

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My issues with legacy lenses is the tend to be very soft and even ghost when wide open, cutting way down on their usefulness. Sometimes I like that look, but with my 50/1.4 Takumar, I have to shoot at f/2.8 to be sharp, and my FD 50/1.4 needs more like f/2 (which is better, and at least close to the 45). I do find it a pretty good walk-around outdoor lens, too.

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm with you Kevin. I have the lens. I love it. But I rarely use it, even if I carry it in my bag. I probably keep it around, because it's such a bargain given the awesome price to performance ratio. And the tiny size for a 90mm equivalent.

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I too find my SuperTak 1.4 and Zuiko 1.4 silvernose to be soft and ghost somewhat wide open, but I'm happy shooting either at f2 and find that for portraits either is fine and both produce attractive OOF areas. My favourite portrait lens, however, is the Fujian 35mm f1.7 which I notice you also have. I actually preferred the way this lens renders portraits as opposed to the Oly 45 which can be TOO sharp. Here is an example of the Fujian wide open SOOC Jpg:

6864441782_ae60bc7722_z.
    P9112398 by ericarthur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Of course, if you're going to take just 1 lens with you, it's going to be something more "normal", because 90mm EFL is too restrictive for most shots.

However, since I switched to a 2-body setup, I find the 45mm lens indispensable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you're not using one, try a lens hood. It helps a lot. Find one meant for a 100mm equiv. field of view. I use the one I used to use on my 90. You might still need to set the black point and increase contrast in post.

Fred

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, I love the lens but I don't find that I use the 90mm FOV very much. I'm not much into shooting portraits. I am trying to find other ways to use it but the one thing about the lens that I din't care for is the rather leisurely focus distance. If ti could focus closer I think I could find more use for it.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think we're all spoiled by the minimum focus distances of lenses like the kit lenses and the fast pancakes. I thought the minimum focus distance of the Oly 45 was pretty good at 0.5m considering the EF 85mm f1.8 i have for my Canon DSLR is 0.85m

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    True enough...I also think that I go spoiled using my legacy glass (before there was an Olympus 45) because most of my favorites had nice close focus distances as well. I think that given the fairly light use it gets that at some point I might package my Olympus 45 and Panasonic 20 and see of anyone wants to trade me for a Pan/Leica 25 or maybe an Olympus 12. That said, if I were a bigger fan of the 90mm FOV I think I'd be absolutely crazy about the Olympus 45.

20. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    My 45 is also used not that often, but enough to keep it considering its price. Much easier to get shallow depth of field with it than with 20, and for the most part it's still not that long to be unusable indoors unless it's something like a group portrait. Good for close-ups as well. If it'd cost like 12 then it'd definitely be replaced by some legacy 50.