I love my "little" kit

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cstevens, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Having owned the GF1 since last November with the 20mm kit, I am suprised just how much I have taken to this little tool. I bought it to replace my "point and shoot" Leica D-Lux 4.

I used the D-Lux for photographing, family, street and urbexing, but was never something I was happy with as my main camera for the job is a D700 and all the big glass that goes with it the D-Lux never quite cut it.

Determined to give it a go and see how I got on with m4/3 I am now happy that it is a fantastic system, ok, it doesnt have a patch on my D700's, 24-70, 85mm, 70-200 etc lenses, but that is the kit I use for paying jobs. But for everything else, I have the GF1 in the bag constantly now and never fails to impress with the image quality.

In the last 2 weeks, I have now added the EVF, and the 14-45, and plan on the 14mm and the 45mm at some point in the future. I have a couple of paying jobs coming up that I am going to take the m4/3 and see what the client thinks - the Peli case with the FF kit will be in the car just in case :)

Anyway, though I would have a little photo shoot on my desk today with my new line up. I am just waiting for the Olympus retro medium bag to house it all, then I have a lovely traveling kit and virtually no weight at all (which is great as I have just suffered whiplash in a car crash)

My "current - but expanding" m4/3 kit.

[​IMG]

With its big Nikon brother looming over the top.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

That is a nice little kit you have there. Portability is definitely the micro4/3rds format's greatest asset.

I shoot weddings with a Fuji S5Pro kit, and whilst for that purpose the GF1 will never be a replacement what it will do is stay with me the whole time, something that I never do with the S5Pro as it is just too big and heavy.

I too have been impressed with the image quality, other compacts never really cut it for me, dynamic range in particular I found an issue. In general I just didn't find results from those cameras to be pleasing to my eye. The micro4/3rds cameras are the first to offer that crossover between size and image quality for me and they're so fun to use!

I think this really could be the next revolution in digital cameras. DSLRs still have a place but I do think there are a large cross-section of society for whom the micro4/3rds format will be a better fit.

3. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Nice pictures too!

• Like Like x 2
  4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Ah, the wondeful S5 Pro! I miss that camera...well sort of. The D700 is perhaps one of the best cameras I have ever owned, but my old S5 Pro served me well (as did my previous S2 Pro).

I live for the day that I can turn up to a wedding or a commercial model shoot with a m4/3 camera. The model shoot, I reckon I could just about swing it, the weddings I would have no issue doing, but your "expected" to have big gear, without it, then your not a pro...right?

...Wrong :)

5. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I have been tempted by the D700 solely for the high ISO capabilities but I couldn't really justify the outlay for the benefits that I would derive (2 x D700s + 24-70 + grips = more money than I have!) I love the results from the S5pro, the colours and DR are just superb and I think they stand up very well against modern D-SLRs. I have no need for super-fast frame rates and HD filming so the S5 suits me just fine.

6. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I agree completely with you, the D700 is where I have stopped professionally for a long time, I have no need either for fast frame rates (I gave up sports photography) and HD doesnt interest me in the slightest.

My D700s where leased through my business so it was easier to swallow, plus I got them early on for around £1600 which was great looking at them now, as was the 24-70 and grips.

Yes, you are correct about the ISO, I now shoot most weddings without flash and get keepers from 64,000 ISO, its an incredible machine. It does make me laugh on a couple of forums people comparing a GF1 to a D700 with a 24-70 or an 85 f1.4. In great controlled studio light, at the sizes I print, I could get similar results (if I am going for softer focus looks) at a wedding, nope the D700 trounces anything I have ever owned...just need to get that technology into a GF1 size :)

7. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Some small additions to my kit this weekend.

Clearance sale of a B+W F-Pro UV for the 14-45 (if your gonna use a filter make it a goodun).

Olympus Pen Retro Bag - Medium, wow I love this bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That retro bag is awesome!!

9. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Today, I buckled at Focus with the offer of a Leica 45mm.

My new purchase :)

[​IMG]

10. svenjosh

svenjosh New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2010
    I am also interested in the 45mm f/2.8, please post your impressions after using this lens

Sven

11. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    That is SACRILEGE!putting that GF-1 in that PEN bag.........hehe:rofl:

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Nah Jake,
    We all know the GF1 wants to be loved like the Pen's....
    shhhhhhh

13. Jake

Jake Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    N.W U.K
    I wonder............a GF-1 goes in the bag,but what comes out? Say a few magic words,give the bag a shake and voila!A strange hybrid that would be the ultimate m4/3 camera........hehe

14. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Bag got sold, loved it, but everything I pulled out the GF1 its AF was slower, but its JPGS better (apparently).