1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I love my G5, but...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BAXTING, Jun 12, 2013.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I turned it on this morning with a new error message after I snap an image freezing the camera until it is restarted. The error message doesn't come up with the electronic shutter in use. After a small bit of research online it seems there may me some type of hardware malfunction.

I've tried a reset and taking the battery, card out etc, but I am confident it needs to be sent in for repair as my GX-1 did.

I'm not rough with my bodies, and I always keep them in a padded domke bag, but they get a lot of use. :smile:

I'm sort of concerned/upset that this is the second Panny body I've had issues with in the last 12 months. I'm concerned because I'd planned on doing lots of shooting this (birthday) weekend and upset because I really like this camera. Ive tried several Oly bodies and they just don't suit my style. I suppose I'll be sending it in for repair. I suppose... :cool:

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

So what does it say?

What is the error message?

3. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    "Please turn camera off and then turn on again"

It may have something to do with the shutter becoming stuck or something to that nature, but I'm no expert.

I can still shoot for the time being with e-shutter, at least until I get a replacement which I'll likely do before sending it in. I just sold my 2nd (Oly) body because it wasn't getting much use haha. :biggrin:

4. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I had the same problem...

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/help-g5-problem-45231/

Had to send it twice, the first time they didn't do anything, second time had to make sure they know that it had problems. Just received it yesterday and they replaced the shutter charge unit.

Attached Files:

5. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I actually had a good experience last time I sent something in.

That's exactly what I think is wrong with mine.

Thanks for posting up!

How long did they have it ?

6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Sometimes you flip a coin 5 times in a row and it comes up heads every time -- but it doesn't mean anything.

I've not had the Panasonic's long enough to really know, but I've also not heard of systematic failures. There were some Oly IBIS failures, shutter failures and so forth but they were the inevitable random failures and really don't say anything about Oly either.

I'm sorry you had these problems, but maybe you're just "lucky" on those in the wrong direction? Hope it gets better.

7. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Usually it's 3-5 business days.

8. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    From what I understand, most of these issues are pretty rare and yes I seem to have good luck running into them but its all good.

I think the best thing is to look at it as an opportunity to have a 2nd body again. I really love that body and think even if I had to buy something new, I'd get another G5. I guess I will just have to get used to having 2 permanent bodies from here on out and start taking myself and my hobby a bit more serious.

Im actually pretty lucky, that Im still able use it as is. That was not the case when I had trouble with my gx1.