I love my E-PL2...

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by SRHEdD, Nov 28, 2011.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    ... let's get that out of the way right up front. I love the image quality, ease of use, access to control when wanted. Love the lenses, especially love the jpegs.

A new GX1 with that new 25/1.4 would be really nice.

Is there an Oly owner out there who also has shot a Panny? How do the jpgs compare? The Oly sees just as I do, color and contrast-wise, I just love it. I'd put an E-P3 on my list, but think I'll wait for the next big thing from Oly with a new chip...

...or not. Maybe the GX1 and the 25 is the way to go.
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm looking at that right now. I've got Pens and just got my first Panny since an LX3 (the G3). I'll let you know what I see after some test shots.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned both the GF2 and G3 before switching to the E-PM1 and E-PL2. In my opinion it'd be worth the wait to see what Olympus does with the 4th gen Pens. Olympus bodies meter much better from my experience with very nice colors when shooting jpegs. Olympus has almost all the pieces to make an awesome camera. The 3rd gen Pens focus quick, have excellent AWB and just handles overall faster. All Olympus needs is a brand new sensor (the 16mp Pany sensor would be good) and I think they'll be back on track.

In fact it's the hope that they'll get the 16mp sensor which keeps me from getting excited over the GX1.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have had an E-P1, E-PL1 and G2 all at the same time. To be honest the Olympus JPEGs do look a little better but I find the differences to be very small. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the images shot with the E-P1, E-PL1 and G2. The Olympus color is a bit warmer and Panasonic cooler but that is easily corrected in LR. RAW seems to be identical. The big differences to me are that in the bodies I have the Olympus seems to meter a bit better, the Panasonics have much better handling (UI and controls) and generally have faster AF and operation (remember I'm talking the ones I have not compared to the new ones). Finally the Panasonics have IBIS...it has not been an issue for me. I have stabilization on my 14-45 and 45-200 so if I need it its available. The advantage you get ioth manual lenses is nice but the superior handling (to me) of my G2 trumps IBIS for my needs.

I really like my G2 and my recently required E-P1 (a lot) but if I could only have one camera I'd send the E-P1 packing. Fortunately I don't need to make that choice.