1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I Love my E-M10 II, but...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dolphinjon, May 23, 2016.

1. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I'm moving to South America where humidity will be high pretty much 365 days a year. There's also the rainy season. I bought my E-M10ii off of Craigslist for a steal, and I love more than any other camera I've owned (though I've only owned a few). I'm wishing I had an E-M5 II, but am thankful for the deal I got. My musing is whether or not it's worth selling this camera and trying to trade up for the weather sealing.

I'm not sure it's really worth the money to do so, and I don't really have the funds to do it anyway. But should I try for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you got it for a steal then why worry? In any case, so long as the humidity isn't condensing it's unlikely to be a big issue with the camera. Lenses might be more of an issue with fungus - but that'll be a problem whether they're weather sealed or not. If it's a big concern for you, just get a big plastic tupperware box and put your gear into it with some desiccant (silica gel, dry rice) from time to time.

3. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    The original E-M5 is still a good, weather-sealed camera, and they're inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I'll definitely setup a box to dry stuff out in. It seems too easy not to do.

5. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    After I sell my old DSLR, I want to pick up at least one more lens (75-300 or something comparable). Maybe I'll watch out for a used original E-M5 just to setup with the 12-50EZ my camera came with. Then I'd have a dedicated weather sealed camera ready to go.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think sealing does about nothing for humidity. Maybe it takes one more day to get in, but as soon as you remove the lens the air mixes. And you should always leave a sealed lens on. And I think lenses while off the camera are not sealed by the plastic cap.

To really stop humidity you would need to fill the camera with a different gas, like nitrogen, like they do for outdoors binoculars.

I agree to keeping the camera with silica gels in a closed bag (no need for a sealed one IMO) to minimize air exchanges (so the silica works longer). There are some kind of gels that change color when wet and can be reset/reused by placing them under the sun or on a heater. And they cost little.

EDIT: unless you leave at the feet of a waterfall I would not worry too much: I think all cameras are designed and built to work in about any part of the world.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    The question is, do you like taking photos in the raining situation? If you have decided to buy EM5 mark II, does the lens is weather sealed? EM10 Mark II Kit lens weren't.
    The best and reasonable decision related to fun and friendly budget is EM5 with 12-50mm.

8. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    The dude I bought my kit from already had the 12-50mm with it so I'm good in that front. I don't enjoy standing in the rain, but we will be traveling enough for a few years that I probably will, especially on longer trips by not. The EM5 does seem like the best solution. I'll watch out for a good deal when I get some extra cash :-D

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Actually they are as long as the back cap has no holes in it. The seal is on the lens and provides a weather tight seal when attaching to the camera or placing the back cap on the lens.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, the gasket is on the lens and the plastic cap barely touches it. It's hard to see if there is a good contact but it's possible and obviously would make sense. I expected the cap to be smaller.