I love m43. Olympus fl-600r

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dino1891, Feb 7, 2013.

1. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I love micro four thirds. Here is my new fl-600r flash. Decided to take advantage of the $50 instant rebate going on right now. Want to take my (lack of) photography skills a little further and delved into lighting. Been studying "Lighting 101" over at strobist blog the past couple days.

First impression of the fl-600r: It is tiny! The only flashes I've owned in the past were the Canon 430ex II and 580 ex II, and this is noticeably smaller in comparison. The plastic that is used for the fl-600r also feels noticeably cheaper. I was split between this and the Metz 44 AF-1. Glad I went with the Olympus, although I've read that the Metz is built a little tougher, because I can't imagine strapping a larger flashgun to my EM5.

My love for micro four thirds just keeps on growing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Fl-600R package is sitting on my desk right now, waiting to come home with me! I've played right into Olympus's hands with their rebate 'carrots' the last couple months. :redface: First the camera(s), then the lenses, then the accessories, yada yada...

Luckily G.A.S. for any hobby with me usually only lasts for the initial few months, and then I tend to stick with that gear for a really long time....we'll see .

I'm enjoying Syl Arena's book, Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots Good intro to flash and lighting.

Enjoy the new flash.
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Funny thing. I just sold my 45mm to fund the flash. It just shipped today, excited. My last real flash was an old manual flash from eBay. While it worked, I never got around to learning how to light things. Shall we call it a renewed interest?
  4. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Me neither! I purchased the canon flashes and never really learned how to use them before they were sold. Used them to bounce off ceilings but nothing fancy/creative. I am playing with the flash now (it arrived a couple hours ago from B&H :biggrin:) and this time I really want to learn how to use off-camera flashes for portraits. So excited! I want to purchase the metz 44 af-1 for my second flash.
  5. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013

I too bit the bait Olympus set out. I walked into my first photog class about two years ago, without a camera. Since then I have bought a lot of my gear used, because I never really knew what was for me. I went from the canon t2i to the canon 60D to micro 4/3 (EPM1 and GF3). At that time, I didn't think micro four thirds was quite there in terms of IQ.

So I tried full frame for half a year. The Canon 5d classic and mark II were amazing, but not portable enough, so I sold all my canon gear to go to Fuji X system. Then I realized that the camera I enjoyed shooting with the most was the E-PM1.

The rebates really did seal the deal. I have never bought an entire system new before (other than the Fuji X system, which I'm glad I tried out because now I am certain that I like the m43 system better), but I have with the micro four thirds system because I have finally decided on this system. This is a wonderful little system and I can't wait to see it grow even more in the upcoming years.