I lost my creativity and what to do about bad self confidence in photography

Susanne

Mu-43 Regular
A really good video I just saw on this subject. People often will try to put your work into a box and you just have to resist that:

This is so brilliant, thanks for sharing it!

@susannemcom These images came sooo close to ending up on the cutting room floor, but I love them. Our (now) over 20 y.o. pussy cats.
They are litter mates.

I love these, John!! Aren't cats the best photo models!

I mainly take photos in the garden now, maybe I should commit to do something different each day,

Something I read somewhere many years ago that stuck with me - there are a thousand images just in your back yard - you just have to look to see them.

This has been very important to me as I never go anywhere. Even before this virus thing I have no need to leave our little homestead here in the mountains. My problem has been that I am seeing the same thing, day after day, for the last 24 years.

So I have had to teach myself to see instead of just look. I have 6 acres of woods that runs along a small river. Wildlife abounds here but I needed to expand my horizons a bit so to speak.

What I am doing now is picking a spot somewhere in the woods and just sit there - one camera / one lens. After a few minutes I start to see a whole bunch of possibilities. I look up - straight up. I look down - straight down. I get all the way on the ground with my camera at ground level (thank goodness for flippy screens!). I sometimes amaze myself when I view my shots later.

Even if you just have a small back yard you can do the same. I’ve gotten some really neat shots just laying in the grass. Like this -

207F4160-C7D0-4CB5-BACD-D10723DC04CD.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Susanne

Mu-43 Regular
Something I read somewhere many years ago that stuck with me - there are a thousand images just in your back yard - you just have to look to see them.

What I am doing now is picking a spot somewhere in the woods and just sit there - one camera / one lens. After a few minutes I start to see a whole bunch of possibilities. I look up - straight up. I look down - straight down. I get all the way on the ground with my camera at ground level (thank goodness for flippy screens!). I sometimes amaze myself when I view my shots later.

Good point and good suggestion that I’ll totally follow! I have a quite large garden actually with a good bit of wild areas so there’s lots to discover!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom