1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I Like Pelican Pluck & Pull for lenses But...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tjdean01, Aug 11, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I like the Pelican Case 1500 with Pluck & Pull for my 12-15 lenses that keep rotating because I'm trying out a lot of new lenses and selling some old (and who knows when I might get the 75mm for a present? :tongue:). They're all similar diameter but I don't want to have cap up in the foam. I have a few pancakes, a few legacy lenses, some with some without adapters, a few medium sized, etc. Right now they're all like this in little pouches but I want them all together in foam. The guy below has his Pluck & Pull foam set up nicely but if that was my setup next month I'd replace one or two of those with something that's probably a different size.

[​IMG]

The obvious advice would be the 1500 case with rearrangeable dividers. But I don't like A) how messy it looks and B) the way the smaller lenses in any given column will rattle around (similarly, I don't like TrekPak).

8707703924_ec4e729061_c.

The only idea I can come up with is, since the lenses are all the same diameter, plucking three long rows left to right across the case and store the lenses all horizontally cap to cap to cap. I could stick a round piece of foam between each if needed, and I could add/remove lenses at will. Wouldn't be the prettiest, however, and whenever I take a lens out I'd have to fill the space with something to keep the rest of them from moving around.

Any better ideas?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    It looks like you have considered the options well (and given me more ways to spend money). I think the TrekPak system is a good foundation of a system - it looks tidy and flexible. For the issue of rattle on lenses that don't quite fill the space, I use ankle high heavy wool hiking socks to carry lenses when they can't be in the main carrier so I'd use that to wrap them (or those neoprene lens wraps). The size is good and there is a bit of surface protection. Another option would be to take a standard lens pouch and trim off the top above the zipper so that you get the padding without the hassle.

This is timely because I have a 1450 I need to rearrange. I think I'll use the TrekPak system.

3. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Are you putting the camera in your 1450 as well or just lenses? Do you have a photo of how you have it?

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Here is my out of date 1450 setup.

[​IMG]

That's a G2, LX5, TS3, Metz 54, 100-300, 14-140, Wide angle converter for the LX5, and other bits.

I now have a 60mm macro and 45mm that need to fit in. The TrekPak will give a lot more usable space than the plucky foam.

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I never considered the above solutions, but a hard shell like those with the equipment entirely displayed is ideal for natural terrains and being able to find what you want instantly (no digging around). I'd imagine it helps lens swaps if done over the open case.

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    For me, these cases are only for transportation and storage (flying, rafting, etc). I have a shoulder bag I use when out and about.

7. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    ThomD, thanks for showing your setup. I'm glad my lack of finding what I want led to you finding what you want :rolleyes:

Yeah, personally if I get a large case I will not be taking it anywhere unless if I'm going from my house directly to, say, a one-month timeshare; or a summer job in Alaska, etc. This case will stay at home and hold only lenses. If I go anywhere for just a week or two I would not be taking a large case like this. I'd put the camera in a shoulder bag with a bigger lens and throw 2-3 more lenses in little pouches and throw them in with my clothes. I'd also take the very small bag that holds nothing but the PM2 and pancake for times when it needs to go on my belt.

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've used pick n pluck and it does a good job.

More recently, for storage & transportation, I've gone to using this Pelican Divider set, which is easily adjustable whenever needed.

I never go out to a shoot with all of my camera gear, so I keep it in the closet in this plastic tub, in which the Pelican divider set fits great.

Image taken with EPL5 and 14-42 R II lens
    P8130547.

P8130548.

When I am heading out for a shoot, I just grab whatever bodies and lenses I want for that particular outing and put them in a Tenba Messenger shoulder bag.

If I want to travel with the entire kit, the Pelican divider set slips perfectly into this Halliburton attache case:

I place a sheet of foam into the top lid of the case (over the top of the gear) and it keeps everything padded and in place for transportation.
    P1050790.

There's an incredible amount of camera gear in this small, lightweight kit! Gotta love m4/3 for that.
    P1050788.

For industrial strength, one can use the black Pelican polymer case; they're heavy and ain't pretty, but they're tough as heck if you expect your case is going to get thrown around or dunked in the ocean. :wink:

9. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Wow. This set-up is definitely not in want of comprehensiveness. :thumbup:

10. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    Dude, c'mon, you don't even have the 60/2.8! :wink:

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Been thinkin' about that one.... :wink: Not terribly motivated as I'm not much into macro stuff, but I would appreciate having that lens, even if it didn't see a lot of mounted time.

What I DO need to add is the 35-100!