I like my omd photos in evf but not on my screen

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PantelisMor, Jun 13, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    HI guys. Everytime i take picture with oly, i am glad with the result i see in evf. In the meanwile when i see pictures in my pc screen. I see something different. I am not so happy. The real result is what i see in my oly or in my pc. Has to do with my screen or my pc. Or it's logical this difference. Thx a lot for once again. And sorry for my english....

2. m4c

m4c Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Czech Republic
    Ondrej
    Do you shoot in raw or jpeg?

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Both screens are a bit saturated and warm by default. Adjust them to look like your color calibrated monitor, then start playing with jpeg colors and or white balance shifts.

4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Obviously the PC monitr plays a big role! Look at the price of the graphic/photo editing lcd monitor and you will get the idea why it is an important tool to have.

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    This question is an important one as what you're seeing on the EVF or the LCD is a preview of the JPEG. If you shoot RAW the image on your PC will certainly be different.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I shoot both raw and jpg.....

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Concur on calibrating monitor if you haven't already.

I used an inexpensive ColorMunki

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...=8-1&keywords=X-Rite+CMUNSML+ColorMunki+Smile

and was surprised at how 'warm' my monitor was before calibration. I wasn't sold on the process until I opened photos 'before' and 'after' and saw the difference. Using the color profile also helped with getting the colors closer when printing.

Are you seeing consistent issues with the images? Too warm? Color casting?

Regards,

Jim

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There's a massive difference in the quality of PC monitors. Make sure you get one that uses something called In-Plane Switching (IPS) and then make sure you get a calibrator (Spyder, ColorMunki etc). A good monitor and proper calibration is the starting point for getting accurate colour reproduction.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    maybe it just me... but to me the image on the camera LCD i s a quick check that exposure and framing are within fixable limits

the real fun happens on the computer

:)

K

• Like Like x 1
  10. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    most everything looks better downscaled. higher apparent sharpness, apparent noise cleanliness

11. m4c

m4c Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Czech Republic
    Ondrej
    I do feel a little bit ashamed, when I see, how many of you do take monitor calibration really seriously, for me the calibration was just by the eye.
    As Eric wrote, if you shoot in raw, you will get jpeg preview, but I must say that, even when I shoot in jpeg and zoom the image on lcd screen it looked more sharp and less noisy, than it look on computer. The real question is what exactly is the problem here, colours, exposure, sharpness... ?

12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

The embedded JPG in the raws is will be lower res (3200x2400) and I believe it's not even a 'good' JPG, in terms of compression quality. If you're using a 'fast' image viewer like Irfanview, it won't properly decode the raw, just display the JPG embedded in the raw.

13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Me too, until I started having issues printing - I was finally convinced to calibrate the monitor and was really surprised at the difference between what my "eye" setup was and what the calibrated setup looked like. I wasn't a believer until I actually saw it :biggrin:. The calibration didn't help on the sharpness end (as far as I can determine, anyway) and the ColorMunki device doesn't reset the brightness - but the color cast is completely different than what I had dialed in by "eye". I had the monitor much too warm - once I used the 'calibrated' settings the photos looked (and printed) much better. (I'm currently using Elements 12 for editing and the Canon Print plug in for printing).

What software are you using to view the photos on the computer?

Regards,

Jim

14. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Like I said, you don't see noise in low-res and the downscaling process increases apparent sharpness (or, rather, it masks bluriness).

15. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    I have listen for calibration. But for now i cant spend 100 € to buy this calibrator.. I use lightroom for edit and view. Sometimes only for view my solution is infanview...

16. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    You'll probably be really surprised if you calibrate your monitor. I bought the cheapest colormunki kit and after seeing the difference, now I wish I had bought a calibrator sooner. Also turn down brightness/contrast some. My laptop came out of the box with those settings ramped up as high as they could go, and every photo looked bad until I cranked the brightness and contrast down. I think the high default settings are to make the screen sharper and brighter, but it does not help make photos look better.

17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, the calibrators are nice to have but definitely add to the price of the hobby!

Do prints of your photos look bad compared to what you see on the camera screen? Can you post a sample jpg here in the forums?

I'll try to take some shots with my E-M5 and check out the screen view with what I see on the computer monitor and see if I experience the same issue you're having...

Regards,

Jim

18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. once you've calibrated a monitor, is it calibrated at an OS-level (Windows 8 / Mac OS / Linux), or is it per application?

2. does anyone rent calibrators?

Barry

19. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    IPS panel isn't insurance for color accuracy. There are IPS panels what does have only 6bit colors. Bought once such and it had two ugly steps in different color gradients and never could get them off. changing display white balance and other settings only moved the steps to other scale.

almost two weeks tried to fix it, with color calibration and manual adjustments until I was forced to return it to store as I found out the technology site what lists panels what display manufacturers use and it was IPS but 6bit.

only way to get good is to test it.

bought now a new one, cheap 4k with 10bit colors and it is truly amazing.

20. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Nothing is calibrated on OS level. The calibration happens in graphic server/windowing environment level, way over OS.

The calibration is so on for everything, but special applications can request then a custom profile for own. Meaning you can have two applications running and both use custom color profile for prints (other for inkjet printer, another for photoshop devices) and still have a own profile for display in other applications.

The good thing is that we can copy the color profile to each system individually so calibration is required only to be done on one system.

And there are few who rents those devices but you want to buy a own one and such one what has the light sensor on it. Then keep device plugged on your computer and the device does read out your environment light and adjust screen for given situation.

And people are way too often working with color calibrated displays but in totally wrong environment. The room needs to be dark, and I mean it is painted middle gray and then light what is used in room is color calibrated as well and light power is just enough to see well. It is almost like standing in moonlight trough clear sky.

And it feels like that, it is cold light and in time it starts taking on nerves to work in such room as each color pops up on monitor and in the room.

The difference between color calibrated room to normal room is like a day and night. More important than screen calibration itself if working with prints.