I like my m4/3 camera bodies big!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ramirez, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just got my battery grip for my Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3. I had my E-M5 grip for quite a while.
    I´ve come to the conclusion that I really like shooting my m4/3 cameras with the grips mounted on.
    I like the ergonomics on a bigger camera body.

Some could say why I´m not in the full frame camp then... But then it comes to the lenses - I love the size of the m4/3 lenses, the price point, and quality of them.
    I also love mirrorless. I prefer shooting mirrorless over mirrored DSLR for many reasons. Also the hybrid aspect is included (video and photo).

So I´ve come to this; I want bigger m4/3 bodies like gripped GH3 but I prefer the m4/3 lenses size wise and weight wise.

What about you fellow m4/3 shooters?

Attached Files:

2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I like choice.

My first entry into ILC was the E-M1 and the only reason the HLD-7 comes off is to charge the battery. Best for handling the 12-40PRO and I imagine the rest of the range once the lenses are released.

Bought the E-P5 not long after and find myself taking more time deliberating and composing with my primes. A few ergonomic issues (could do with a plate) but otherwise appreciate the handling and portability in comparison.

3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I am still waiting for a grip for my E-M10, so I don't know what I like. I have huge hands, so larger is almost always better for me. But what I really want to know, is who made the neck strap for your GH3?

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Lance Camera straps. I have them on all my cameras. But I like the strap on my GH3 most as I can easily remove the cord when mounting the GH3 on a tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Both. I've had two sets of bodies - a large fully featured body with loads of buttons and a smaller pocketable body. Initially a GH2 + GF1, now an E-M5 and GX1. Thankfully m43 bodies depreciate so fast that you can buy second hand previous-gen models for relatively little money. Nice to have the choice ;)

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Given the choices, I'd choose the GH3, but the real answer is "it depends." The GM1 is just too small for me, and I don't like cameras without EVFs. The GH3 handles superbly, and compared to my DSLR gear it really isn't "big" or heavy. I like the way it fits my hand and the control layout is, mostly, excellent.

But there are times when size and weight matter more, and for that I'll accept the ergonomic compromises of the GX7, which handles quite well given how small it is.

I'm definitely not one of the "smaller is always better" crowd, though. My Canon 50D fits my hands and handles very well. If I could get a camera that weighed what the GX7 weighs, but fit my hands like the 50D (and took m43 lenses), I'd probably be thrilled.

7. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Choise is king! Last week I was on a concert; they didnt allow big cameras. So I took off the grip from my OM-D E-M5 and attached my Sigma 60 f2.8. They thought that my camera really was a tiny little camera, almost point and shoot like :smile:
    I like the ability to do this specially with the OM-D cameras; they can be big or small to meet different situations.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since I still shoot DSLRs, I prefer those big and my M43 cameras tiny! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    The E-PM2 was (still is) too small for me, but the E-P5 feels great in my hands!

10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I guess I like medium sized bodies. By that I mean the GX7/E-M1 are about where I'd like to be. Interestingly, the E-M1 + RRS L-plate is only a bit smaller than my D7000 + RRS L-plate, as measured by how well they fit into holster bags. I like the m43 system, however, because the lenses are so much smaller, which makes my kit bag much smaller and lighter. Also, having the choice of an even smaller and lighter body, such as the GX7, gives me options.

My requirements for a body include enough physical buttons to control at least exposure and focusing easily, and a VF. Obviously, with mirrorless, that needs to be EVF for accurate framing and focusing, although I suppose I could go back to a really high quality rangefinder if one presented it self (which is not likely). So a body like the GM-1 just doesn't hit the target for me. The Nikon 1 Vx cameras are about the right size and get closer, although the V1 I have is crippled from an external control perspective.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with Goldilocks on this I suppose, I like them "just right". Which for me means in the middle. E-M5 with a small grip and E-P5 = Like. I haven't tried the GM1, but it seems too small, and yet still not small enough to be pocketable. When I want small I want small. Sony RX100 is the max size I consider "small enough" at the moment.

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Exactly the same for me, thought it didn't start out that way. I now shoot a GH3 with grip exclusively for m4/3, to the point that it feels odd when I take the grip off.

For anyone that wonders why not just use a DSLR at that point, I can easily answer that question after lugging a D4 and a D800 with battery grip and f/2.8 lenses around for a long day of shooting a wedding :wink:

The size and weight savings of the system as a whole are very significant irrespective of the larger body, and the GH3/EM-1 size is why they have great ergonomics and lots of available physical controls for important settings. :2thumbs:

Of course the great thing about this format is we're given the choice all the way from the minuscule GM-1 to the smallish DSLR size of the GH3, all with the same great lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Some folk prefer them to be petite without much of anything to get their hands on. Me? I definitely have a soft spot for the larger models - nothing too 'peely wally'. Of course they have to be portable - if you need a forklift truck to move them around it defeats the purpose. I think they're all beautiful in their own ways and I'd certainly like to have one to call my own.

Now, about the size of m4/3 cameras... :biggrin:

14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Coming from 40+ years of shooting SLRs and DSLRS, I want a serious grip on the body. That is one of the many reasons I got E-M1.

15. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I want them as small as can be, the size of a coin if possible!!! :)

16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did not vote because there wasn't a choice in the middle. To me the GH3 is too big! At that size I might as well get an APS mirrorless or even a DSLR. And the GM is too small! I prefer to have a bigger body than that especially for use with larger lenses.

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm with you on feeling that some cameras can be too small. Ergonomics over size for me. Still though, the GH3 with a grip is still smaller than a regular DSLR with a grip.

18. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    After shooting a little today with my gripped GH3; I must say that I feel that the "GH3 gripped" is absolutely the right size for me. Absolutely right for my hands. Ergonomics is perfect!
    I wouldn't want anything bigger and I prefer this size over the smaller m4/3 bodies.
    Also my OM-D E-M5 is quite nice gripped (I almost never have my E-M5 ungripped).

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think the Panasonic G series hits the sweet spot for me. It is the perfect compromise between size and ergonomics. I just wish they have a slightly better build and maybe an optional battery grip.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013