I know the rule is glass 1st, camera second, but...

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I believe in sorting out the camera first. It has to have the features that you are most likely to need, and be of a size and layout that you are happy with. If you start with the lenses first, you could end up buying an unsuitable camera in haste "just to try thing out". No surprise then that many of us have nearly as many bodies as lenses.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
welcome to the forum.
imho go for a much newer body, it will be more fun. If you want to give macro a try - search for a cheap and good 30mm/3.5 macro.
What he said! I have a 60mm lens and just added the 30mm macro, which I thought I'd never do because I have the 60.

I found that for table-top macro work (as opposed to walk-around or bug shooting), I always had a problem getting the 60mm far enough away from the subject. I'd be getting tall tripods just to get high enough to get away from the object on the table. What's the point of that? Yes, it gives you more working room for lighting, but other than that, I think the 30mm is better for regular, non-moving macro stuff. Plus it gives you somewhat more magnification (1.25 vs 1).

I got my 30mm on sale new for $224. A used one would be even cheaper. Of course, a Raynox adapter would be even cheaper (as @CyVan says, "get a Raynox DCR-250 and slap it onto the end of the 40-150 @150mm to get a taste of macro") . I say, get the camera!!

Ra5cal

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi all, Thank you so much for your replies. It seems the forum is split 50/50. We appear to have a hung jury!

I will be going into the store tomorrow to check them out and then decide. I've not handled the M5 iii before so I'm keen to wrap my mitts around it. A number of your responses have given me something to think about, and I will respond later as I have just knocked off work (8pm South African time).

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I had the E-M1, and now have the E-M5.3 (and E-M1.3). Aside from the smaller grip and robust build, the 5.3 is a better shooter. The modest resolution increase, better focusing and quicker handling are all worthwhile improvements. But it’s your money.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We have just gone back into lockdown, after an increase in positive infection tests.
I don't see COVID going away soon. So maybe playing with macro might be a good idea, when you are stuck at home.

But two different purposes.
- Camera, to upgrade.
- Macro lens, to let you do something new.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Does the Em1I have focus stacking? If not, then that would be good reason to spring for the camera. Focus stacking is VERY useful in macro. You'd need the 30 or 60 lens (or other several Pro lenses), but the 30 is pretty cheap, as I mentioned. You can do focus bracketing with any lens, and then do the stacking in post processing. Can the EM1I do focus bracketing? If not, another good reason to get the camera.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Um, I wasn't trying to be funny with my post above. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything (for example, I really don't know if the EM1I will do focus bracketing). I'm confused...

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Does the Em1I have focus stacking? If not, then that would be good reason to spring for the camera. Focus stacking is VERY useful in macro. You'd need the 30 or 60 lens (or other several Pro lenses), but the 30 is pretty cheap, as I mentioned. You can do focus bracketing with any lens, and then do the stacking in post processing. Can the EM1I do focus bracketing? If not, another good reason to get the camera.
hehe it does both.I assume you mean the EM1 II? But he's buying the EM5 III. But as you pointed out he'd need the 60mm to do the focus stacking.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
hehe it does both.I assume you mean the EM1 II? But he's buying the EM5 III. But as you pointed out he'd need the 60mm to do the focus stacking.
No, I meant the EM1I. That is what he currently has.

From what I understand, he is considering buying an EM5III (no mention of the EM1II). But he is also considering buying a 60mm lens instead.

Sooo, I was asking whether what he currently has (the EM1I) has some of the bells and whistles that an EM5III has regarding macro (like focus stacking and bracketing). If NOT, then that would be a good reason to consider buying the EM5III and say a cheaper macro lens like the 30mm. Or even a Raynox adapter and at least you'd have focus bracketing with the EM5III.

If he just stayed with the EM1I and added the 60mm, he'd have neither focus stacking or bracketing (IF the EM1I has neither; maybe it has them; I don't know, but he surely does).

Phew, this is complicated... ;)

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
No, I meant the EM1I. That is what he currently has.

From what I understand, he is considering buying an EM5III (no mention of the EM1II). But he is also considering buying a 60mm lens instead.

Sooo, I was asking whether what he currently has (the EM1I) has some of the bells and whistles that an EM5III has regarding macro (like focus stacking and bracketing). If NOT, then that would be a good reason to consider buying the EM5III and say a cheaper macro lens like the 30mm. Or even a Raynox adapter and at least you'd have focus bracketing with the EM5III.

If he just stayed with the EM1I and added the 60mm, he'd have neither focus stacking or bracketing (IF the EM1I has neither; maybe it has them; I don't know, but he surely does).

Phew, this is complicated... ;)
Ahh I see what you mean. I think it was the Nomenclature u were using for the camera, EM1I looked like a typo. Most ppl usually use EM1.1 to represent it. I agree though, it would be great if it had it but I don't think it supported in-camera stacking back then.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ahh I see what you mean. I think it was the Nomenclature u were using for the camera, EM1I looked like a typo. Most ppl usually use EM1.1 to represent it. I agree though, it would be great if it had it but I don't think it supported in-camera stacking back then.
The E-m1 mark I did not originally support either focus bracketing or focus stacking. But firmware revision 4.0 (November, 2015) added the support to the E-m1 mark I. So, if you bought the 60mm macro, you could use it with either focus stacking or bracketing.

Here is information on the two: https://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

It sometimes helps to have a list of the things a new camera will give you when deciding whether to buy either a new camera or a new lens. For me, when I upgraded from the E-m1 mark I to the E-m5 mark III, there was one feature that the E-m5 mark III had that was very important to me (namely an OLED viewfinder so I could shoot with polarized sunglasses, and not have to deal with the viewfinder distorting part of the image). There were a few things that I gave up in going to the E-m5 mark III (such as lack of a battery grip, and using the older BLS-50 battery instead of the BLN-1 battery).

Ra5cal

New to Mu-43
Hi, yes it does. Bracketing can be found in Shooting Menu 2 and focus Bracketing has been available since firmware 4.0.

Ra5cal

New to Mu-43
Hi all,

Here's a summary of my takeaways from this post as well as some information on my final purchase and the rationale behind that move.

- First, everyone seemed to be split 50/50 in their actual recommendations. However, when I took a look at the "Agrees" and "Likes" the consensus tilted heavily to wards @doady's post "Photographer first, lens second, camera third." I agree. Will better AF help me shoot birds, yes. Could I do with more focal length? Yes. There's that too, I realised. However I have a lot to learn when it comes to making those shots, so I'd say the ratio is 30% gear / 70% skills at this point in terms of what I need most as a photographer.

- @Acraftman's post received a lot of likes, possibly because of his excellent photos, but also in his appreciation for the 60mm. You make an excellent case for the lens, sir. What really resonated with me is the point you raised on replenishing my funds a lot quicker by having cash still in hand is spot on. Especially in these uncertain times.

So what did I end up with? I went in to the store and decided that I liked the E-M5 III's EVF as it has a longer eyepiece and as a glasses wearer I found I could suddenly see all 4 corners of the screen! With my E-M1.1 I'm constantly having to move around to see everything on the screen. So that's a BIG plus. Never thought it was an issue until now. But after much deliberation I couldn't pull the trigger on the camera. The 60mm macro was a very nice option as well - either choice would have enabled me to expand my skills base- learning either macro or video.

Here's the reason why I didn't go for the camera. I realised I would need a wide angle zoom to make videos. IOW, if I bought the M5 III without a wide-normal zoom I would be putting the cart before the horse. Which is why I eventually ended up going for a used copy of a PL 12-60/2.8-4.

To keep some cash in the bank, I traded my traded my 17/2.8 to bring the price down to $360.67 (US equivalent). I'm very happy. The AF is fast, and quiet, and the lens has a smooth and consistent zoom action. It also doesn't hurt that it is sharp and contrasty. But it is also heavy which is indirectly another knock against the M5 III. With heavier lenses I would have to splash out on a grip at some point, so for me it's better to stick with my EM1.1 for now.

Not only have I started filming with it already (and I can see this is going to be an enjoyable learning curve) I have also made some sharp close up shots which should slake my macro thirst somewhat.

Thank you everyone for commenting. I haven't bought gear in a while but I know now that there are a LOT of great options out there for M43 shooters and I am happy to keep investing in the system.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Hi all,

Here's a summary of my takeaways from this post as well as some information on my final purchase and the rationale behind that move.

- First, everyone seemed to be split 50/50 in their actual recommendations. However, when I took a look at the "Agrees" and "Likes" the consensus tilted heavily to wards @doady's post "Photographer first, lens second, camera third." I agree. Will better AF help me shoot birds, yes. Could I do with more focal length? Yes. There's that too, I realised. However I have a lot to learn when it comes to making those shots, so I'd say the ratio is 30% gear / 70% skills at this point in terms of what I need most as a photographer.

- @Acraftman's post received a lot of likes, possibly because of his excellent photos, but also in his appreciation for the 60mm. You make an excellent case for the lens, sir. What really resonated with me is the point you raised on replenishing my funds a lot quicker by having cash still in hand is spot on. Especially in these uncertain times.

So what did I end up with? I went in to the store and decided that I liked the E-M5 III's EVF as it has a longer eyepiece and as a glasses wearer I found I could suddenly see all 4 corners of the screen! With my E-M1.1 I'm constantly having to move around to see everything on the screen. So that's a BIG plus. Never thought it was an issue until now. But after much deliberation I couldn't pull the trigger on the camera. The 60mm macro was a very nice option as well - either choice would have enabled me to expand my skills base- learning either macro or video.

Here's the reason why I didn't go for the camera. I realised I would need a wide angle zoom to make videos. IOW, if I bought the M5 III without a wide-normal zoom I would be putting the cart before the horse. Which is why I eventually ended up going for a used copy of a PL 12-60/2.8-4.

To keep some cash in the bank, I traded my traded my 17/2.8 to bring the price down to $360.67 (US equivalent). I'm very happy. The AF is fast, and quiet, and the lens has a smooth and consistent zoom action. It also doesn't hurt that it is sharp and contrasty. But it is also heavy which is indirectly another knock against the M5 III. With heavier lenses I would have to splash out on a grip at some point, so for me it's better to stick with my EM1.1 for now.

Not only have I started filming with it already (and I can see this is going to be an enjoyable learning curve) I have also made some sharp close up shots which should slake my macro thirst somewhat.

Thank you everyone for commenting. I haven't bought gear in a while but I know now that there are a LOT of great options out there for M43 shooters and I am happy to keep investing in the system.
And, for macro, get a set of AF extension tubes for M4/3. Should not be more than US$40-50. From China, $25...

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
And, for macro, get a set of AF extension tubes for M4/3. Should not be more than US$40-50. From China, $25...
Indeed, no need to buy macro lens. Use the extension tubes. Well i did this and i do macro with extension tube on 45mm f1.8.

Hmmm i think this video will explain why u don't need a macro lens actually

Ra5cal

New to Mu-43
Indeed, no need to buy macro lens. Use the extension tubes. Well i did this and i do macro with extension tube on 45mm f1.8.

Hmmm i think this video will explain why u don't need a macro lens actually

Thanks for the link - really useful.

Personally, I would not be without a macro lens: the O60's extra length (from 45mm) is my preference for outdoor portraits, and macro opens up a whole extra world (especially if lockdown restrictions keep you close to home). Good luck with your decision :)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
EM1I looked like a typo. Most ppl usually use EM1.1 to represent it.
I think you are right about "EM1I" looking like a typo. But I've been using EM5III and EM10III (and others do too, I think, perhaps sometimes with a hyphen) and it seems to be pretty well-understood. So I guess it's really just when talking about the EM1 models where we need to be careful about this, huh. Since this is totally off-topic, I guess I should stop beating it to death now... ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom