1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I know, I know, this is like beating a dead horse

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigdaddyT, Aug 23, 2013.

1. BigdaddyT

BigdaddyT Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Stuck between the Olympus 17mm 1.8, Panasonic 20mm 1.7 and the Panasonic 25mm 1.4.

My camera is the Olympus Omd em5.

Any suggestions would much appreciated.

2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I got the 25 first for my OM-D, and glad I did.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Theyre all good.....pick the FL you like shooting with.....i know that in itself is easier said than done, but thats really the only thing that separates these lenses. Besides the 25 being bigger than the rest and the 20 being a bit slower in af

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Depends what/how you like to shoot and your budget.

They're all good lenses.

17mm is good for street (amongst plenty of other things) and has a snap-focus ring for zone-focus

20mm is compact and sharp but a little slow to AF - a good all-rounder

25mm is a great 50mm equiv with Leica-esque rendering and nice low-light performance

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    IMO:

17mm f/1.8: very good IQ, not great;
    20mm f/1.7: great IQ, super-small but slow and noisy
    25mm f/1.4: great IQ but quite big

I've owned all three and the only one I still have is the 20mm f/1.7. But then I very much value small size (probably more than others).

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'd get the EOS M with 22mm f2, like everyone else is suggesting here.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    They're all good, the lens really depends on your shooting style. Can't suggest any unless you know what you want. Personally I settled for the 17mm 1.8, but that's just me.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I had the 20 and sold it to buy the 25 - in part because it fit better between the 14 & 45 but mainly because it was faster. I do more indoor photography and prefer to avoid flash. The 20 was a fine lens, but the 25 has become my favorite, it pretty much lives on my E-P3.

9. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Avoid the 20mm if you shoot high ISOs in dim light. I had the 20mm lost many great shots do to strong banding on Sony sensor cameras. I traded it in for the 17mm and not missing the 20mm at all.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Buy all three used here in the buy/sell section, use them all for 2-3 months, and turn around and sell the one(s) you don't like. You won't really lose out on the cost of the lenses, just shipping, and what you DO lose will be a cheap lesson. It will be like paying a $20 per lens rental fee, which is more than reasonable. There's no right answer, and no one can answer this question for yourself but YOU. It's like going to a car forum and asking whether you should buy a Mustang or a pickup truck. You're just going to get answers based on the poster's habits and biases, not yours.

11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    You said it :rolleyes:

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I'd like to add that this is the method everyone else has used here and mainly ended owning... one of those :biggrin:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Get 'em all...:biggrin:

14. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I gotta say I just don't understand all these, "what lens should I buy?" threads. If you don't know what FoV, aperture and DoF your shooting style requires, well then you should just buy one of them and see how it works for you. No way in hell any of us can help with the process.

Actually, I take that back, I do understand. It's people who think of photography in terms of gear instead of images. The only good reason to get a new lens is if there are photos you want to take that your current lenses aren't suited for. If you're thinking that way, it will be obvious to you what you need in the new lens.
    If you're gear-oriented, it's easy to get bogged down in a bunch of spec and review related minutia that doesn't have anything to do with taking good pictures.

15. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Get the 17/1.8 then pick up a $40 28mm adapted lens?

16. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    You can work out which focal length suits you by using the shots you've taken with your kit zoom, and the ExposurePlot tool.

If you are anything like me, the plot will have a peak at the wide and long ends (meaning you reached the limits of the lens and wanted more!), and between them will be a bell curve. The peak of the bell curve will be your preferred focal length.

Please bear in mind that the 20mm is noticeably slower to focus than the other 2 lenses (it's slower than just about any m43 lens), but in the centre it is crazy sharp. I bought it before the 17mm came out, and it had been out for a while by then and had dropped in price (I got a great deal and used Panasonics London Olympics cashback promo). Looking at the prices now, the 17mm and the 20mm MkII are about the same price in the UK, I think I'd go for the 17mm for the AF performance and better build.

If you don't mind losing about a stop of aperture, don't discount the Sigma 19mm. Sharp wide open, quick to focus, and cheap :)

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've used the very approach that Andym72 suggests. If you've spent a day with your kit zoom, it can be very informative to see what FL you've naturally chosen. If you haven't, then go for photo walk and try it. That being said, I have some sympathy for your plight. Some folks must have a particular FL, and others like me adapt their style to the lens. The 17-25 range is close enough to sneaker zoom for the differences in my case. My problem is that I like crisp images (the 25) but small light lenses (the 17). Given my predilection for static images, therefore, I'd get the 20.

18. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I first used ExposurePlot after I got the 14-150mm. Ran the shots from a 5 day vacation through it. There is a big spike at 14mm, so I know my next lens is going to be something wider. At the long end, the focal lengths over 70mm only registered one shot each, so I'm pretty sure I don't need anything longer. And the bell curve peaked at 22m... which incidentally is the nearest focal length to the m43 image circle.

It's the first time I've been 'normal' in anything :)

19. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Interesting. I've just downloaded ExposurePlot and ran it through the shots from our recent vacation in Cornwall. This trip was the first time I had the 14-150.

Like you, there's a big bar at 14mm, and only one shot each at any length above 42mm. There's another large bar at 20mm, probably because I did use the P20 a few times.

Makes me wonder whether I really need the 14-150! The 14-42 kit is a lot more compact.

20. BigdaddyT

BigdaddyT Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Thank you, to everyone who replied both positive and negative. Going with the 17mm f1.8. Did a walk around today with my 12-50 and found myself shooting between 12 and 20.

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app