I knew it would happen. Lost hot shoe cover for omd

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rklepper, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes, that stupid little cover. I knew this would happen. Shooting with the flash and the cover is now gone. Any idea where the cheapest place to get one is? And is it really neccessary?

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Not necessary, don't worry about it :smile:

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    It's only necessary for maintaining the weather sealing when shooting without a flash.

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I take every one of them off the first day I get my camera bodies and leave them in this storage bin. They only come back out when I resell!

You're talking about the plastic piece that goes in the metal hot shoe right?

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Are you sure? How does that piece of cheap plastic seal anything?

6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes. I wasn't sure I even need it.

Thanks

7. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. Is there anything to it helping for the weather seal?

I can't see how, but it has been mentioned.

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I doubt it. You're not going to get any sealing from a plastic-on-metal cover...

9. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    That is what I thought. Thanks.

10. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    olympus sells them for $4 or $5 (depends on color) if you're interested
    Parts | Olympus

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The rating for the weather sealing does include the use of the hotshoe cover, port cover and the rubber covers for the grip contacts. The chances of issues are slim (I've washed my camera under running water without a flash cover) except for the port cover which is important.

Gordon

12. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah that port over below the hotshoe is needed for weather sealing, not so much for the hotshoe cover itself (so far anyway :smile:)

You might check out ebay or amazon for a cheaper hotshoe cover, $4 for an Olympus built ones sounds kind of crazy.

13. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Haha. $5 for the silver and $7 for the black. Must be the special edition, eh?

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Just find any standard hot shoe cover on eBay if you come to miss it. Sony (Minolta) is the only system that doesn't use the standard hot shoe.

I'd be surprised if they sold for more than $0.99 with free shipping.

15. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You can buy the generic ones at Amazon hot shoe cover cost is a whopping 71 cents, but it comes from China with 3.99 shipping. You could also go for this one Hot shoe cover its 52 cents per, with 2.98 shipping, but that one comes with a bubble level.

Hope that helps

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  17. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Only half a cup down these parts...

18. TDP

TDP Guest

With the hotshoe sticking out so much, the plastic hotshoe cover helps prevent/lessen the impact of hitting the hotshoe metal tabs and bending them in.

19. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I checked the oly's support, it seems accessory Port cover is much more important than the hotshoe cover.

Is the E-M5 weatherproof?

The E-M5 camera body has weatherproof construction. Weatherproof integrity is preserved when using Micro Four Thirds weatherproof lenses or Four Thirds weatherproof lenses (Super High Grade and High Grade lenses) when mounted using the MMF-3 Micro Four Thirds to Four Thirds Adapter.

To ensure weatherproofing the following is essential. Ensure that the Accessory Port cover below the hot shoe is in place when not being used to mount accessories. Additionally, the PBH cover on the base of the camera must be properly secured when the Power Battery Holder HLD-6 is not mounted. When the HLD-6 is mounted, ensure it is correctly aligned when mounted on the camera to preserve weatherproof integrity.

When going from extremes in temperature (for example, moving from an air conditioned environment to a hot environment or vice versa), condensation may form inside the camera. Even though the E-M5 is weatherproof, it still may contain humid air because the camera needs to "breathe" to compensate for changes in internal pressure when lenses are zoomed, particularly long focal length zoom lenses. The condensation will disappear in a few minutes when the temperature of the camera has stabilized in relation to the shooting environment.

20. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

I got a rubber one with a spirit level for about $1 from ebay. I would think it is better at weather sealing since it's rubber

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3