1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I keep coming back to the PL25

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Apr 26, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I know, I know. m43 is a system of trade-offs. It's more expensive than you might/think hope for, but it's compact, and that's why it's worth it. Or, the IQ is not quite at the highest level, but you can put it in your pocket, and that makes it work. Or, you put up with no EVF, because it's got a lot of lens choices. Or, you use it over NEX (or Fuji) because you can have wide angle, telephoto, etc. all these options, and they fit in one bag.

I get that, and it's why I started with m43, too.

But can I also say that I happen to think that I keep coming back to m43 not because of the lens selection, but because of certain lenses. The 9-18 is a nice lens. Small, compact, relatively affordable. But it's not a reason I stay with the system. The P20 is small and fast, and makes nice pics, but don't you own it just because it's a good balance of IQ and size?

For me, there are two lenses that I just simply love. Love and adore. They make beautiful pictures, and I would want them adapted if I was in another system (if that were possible). The first is the P100-300. The reach, the contract, the colors. I like this lens a lot. Focus speed is very good, as is OIS. It's not a high use lens for me, but it's a joy to shoot with.

But the PL25. That lens continues to just delight me. I liked it a lot on my EPM1, but I adore it on my EPL5. Yes, it has pf issues. But when shot on the EPL5, the files are quite workable. The contrast is good out of the gate. Sharpness is great. I really like the bokeh. It's just a joy to shoot with. I'm putting up with the EPL5 quirks just to shoot with. When couples with the touch screen, it makes a solid kids action shooter.

So, I love the size, I love the trade-offs, the IQ is solid, etc. I love the PL25 in the system, but I also love the PL25 just on it's own merits. Some of my most favorite pics out of 13,000 in my database are from the PL25.

Here's a couple done just last night:
    Using the LCD touch screen for click-to-capture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I just re-got a used one last night. I swear I'm the worst about settling on a kit. I've been thru just about every viable option in the 12mm thru 50mm range. I think I've settled on having the 12, 25, and PL 45. I've tried the 2 best zooms and 2 kits. I've tried legacy normal and macro. The 25 is THE lens in this range. I liked the 12-35 but thought I need one fast lens to go along with it(25). But I got the 12 and 45 for only $100 more than the 12-35 cost me. So I traded out of it. Anyway, no excuses for not sticking with this. I have in essence a 12-45 f2.8 or better/macro 3 piece zoom with a temperamental zoom ring. I'm good, right?:th_salute:

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    camera ... lens... photographer?

rank them in order of importance

K

4. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Absolutely agree

PL25 has magic in it. Uncanny how many of my favorite shots have been with this lens. Plus a versatile FL. I wish the 17/1.8 had been as good. I have FF (used to be 5D2, now RX1) and with great glass like the 25 or the 75, it is amazing how close my OM-D comes in producing wholly satisfying pics.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    WT21, What does the PL25's lens shade look like (cylindrical or petals)?

6. The PL25 is a lens that is no smaller or lighter than an equivalent lens for a larger sensor (example: the Fuji 35/1.4), is larger and heavier than pancake lenses of similar focal lengths for larger sensors (example: the Samsung 30/2), and is by no means cheaper than any of them. On that basis it has to stand up for itself solely by being a great lens...and it does.

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Rectangular with rounded corners

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Photographer, then lens, then camera.

But as I cannot change the photog, I'm stuck with changing lenses :p

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The PL25 is just "one of those lenses". We can discuss it endlessly (and we probably will, lol) -- but it just has something about it that really works on many different levels. Not all of that is easy to define but we see it in our photos that we take with it.

I love that lens. I shot with a 50mm on a film body for years and I could live with shooting with just the PL25.

In fact, I may self assign soon with the G5 and that lens only.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, the 25 is "the" lens in this system for me as well. I'm out of m4/3s at the moment, except for a GH1 & kit lens I've decided to keep. When I see a bargain-ish 25 pop up in the classifieds I am definitely tempted, even though I know I won't use it enough to justify it. It would be nice to know it is in the bag and available.

11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You're out of mft at the moment, and I just keep getting deeper...

Am I going to drown? Is there any danger?! :eek:

12. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    I'll also put in my vote. PL25 is THE JAM.

I have it attached to my E-M5 99% of the time, and could see myself using it almost exclusively, indefinitely...

occasional rattlesnaking and all.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is the lens that practically lives on my E-P3. I prefer the 50mm focal length from my film days and the PL25 is a wonderfully fast, sharp lens. I really liked the 20mm, I really love the 25. :cool:

14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I love mine

Like others, I use it more than any other lens.
    Ecuador_scarf.

15. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    ditto what other's have said... this lives on my E-M5 99% of the time... The only suggested improvement I would like to see would be a normal lens hood that could be stored backwards on the lens. It is a pain to carry this lens with the hood if it is not on the camera.

16. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    YES YES YES YES! I've been buying and selling lenses, and have finally settled on the 12-50mm, Oly 40-150, and Panasonic 20mm. I had the Panasonic 25mm, and I didn't really use it much because it seemed very close to me. I prefer wider lenses. I bought the Panasonic 20mm, and I have been very surprised. The lens is sooo small! I love how it looks on my OM-D, and it is such a joy to use. It makes me want to take pictures of everything. I thought I was going to sell because of the slow focusing when there wasn't enough light, but I've noticed I have been using it a lot.

17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Loved the look of it but hated the un-reversibility.
    Regardless, I'll end up with another 25 soon I'm sure.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Bill :smile:
    I have an honest confession to make. When I look at all the images I shot in the last 2 years ..The best ones are with Oly 45 mm 1.8 and PL 25 mm 1.4,I am gonna get it again . I do have Panny 20 mm 1.7 but when I think about that FL , I grab Fuji X100. Having said that , PL25 mm 1.4 is one of the the best lens of MFT era.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

19. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    To be honest, I dont confess anything. Its to expensive to do that:)

20. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    In my film days, when I used the 50', I always craved something wider or longer. 75-85 seems the be my favorite now, followed by 28. But now wallowing in indecision, with 2 systems (m4/3 and Pentax, both very good), I'm having a hard time settling on the "right" combination. Limited by fixed income, I have to be very creative, to keep moving through all the choices we now have. That being said, I can function with what ever I have in hand.
    And, as currently shown in my avatar, the Sigma 30mm (60 equiv) is riding the E-p2. Not my favorite lens ever, but very handy and quick focusing, even in very low light..