I just STOLE a 4/3 mount Oly 70-300mm f4~5.6 lens on ebay

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dougjgreen, Dec 7, 2017.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I love it when an uninformed ebay seller screws up a listing and creates a major bargain for the person that stumbles across it. This seller listed this lens as a 140-600 (since that's what the "equivalent" label on the lens barrel says). As a result, nobody who was searching for the lens stumbled across it. I found it inadvertently when I did a broad search of any Olympus branded items auction listed and ending soon. Starting bid was $25 + $12.75 shipping. Which also happened to be my WINNING bid as the only bidder. (I had actually bid over $66 for this lens, but nobody got to see that, since my initial bid for this lens was uncontested). So, total cost out of pocket was just under $38. Oh, and it arrived today in PRISTINE condition. First observation is, the thing focuses surprisingly fast on my E-M1, and the ergonomics are also quite decent. 2nd observation is the Olympus TCON-17 works pretty darn well on this lens, although it noticeably slows down the AF and results in far more AF-hunting than occurs without the TC (without the TC, focus hunting is almost nonexistent on the E-M1). I would also say that this lens is optically not as mediocre as it's reputation (at 300mm, it's slightly soft wide open, but otherwise I did not have any complaints about what I was seeing). 3rd observation is that it handles pretty well on the E-M1 - on my E-PL5, the handling is as ridiculous as you would think it would be.

With the TCON 17, this rig will actually give me AF out to an effective 1040mm (not bad for an under $50 lens, and an under $50 teleconverter). And since the TCON-17 has a wider entrance pupil, there is little to any light loss nor vignetting.

Tomorrow, I plan to do a lot more shooting with this lens, with and without the TCON-17, and I'll post some of the more interesting results.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Wow Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I hope you got a good copy of this lens as it is one of the worst long zooms of the 4/3 era especially at the long end. Unsuitable for use with a TC. But hey, for that price...

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As I said, from my first snaps, the copy I got has me thinking that at least mine is superior to it's reputation as a mediocre lens - it's slightly soft wide open at 300mm, but quite decent stopped down 1 stop. And the same was true with the front-mounted TCON-17 added - certainly useable, although the AF hunts some.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Straight out of the camera: A hummingbird from about 50-60 feet away - I believe this is stopped down 2/3 of a stop from wide open. Focus point was the leaves on the branch above it. PC060013.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Not bad, much better than my copy ever did. Have fun.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I believe I got mine for $239 new in the midst of the sales slump for Olympus DSLR's after the stock market crash in 2008. Probably not as good as your copy, but I've enjoyed using it on M43.
    M6080719.
    L0ST4686.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    FYI, this was shot wide open, at 300mm, with a 1.7x front TC (actually was a Sony VCL-HG1758). This is straight out of the camera, no PP. IMHO, a little soft, but actually usable.

PC090067.JPG

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I loved mine and was a local sale. The original owner was no longer interested in photography, so he was dumping his gear. Paid $50 for it, but it already paid itself off. Here's my sample. This is the only long zoom lens that can do macro decently. No native m/43 long zoom of this cheap calibre can do what this can macro wise.

4/3 lenses sharper than kit m4/3 ones?