I just received my E-M5 Mk III and...

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The combination of a lightweight body and the E-M1.2 insides makes a great combination for me. The M5.3+17/1.8 is under 18.8 ounces! It’s only 1.9 oz. heavier than a Fuji X100V. I’ve had plenty of dings and dents in metal bodied cameras, so I’ll hold judgement on how well the polycarbonate body will endure.

The combination of a lightweight body and the E-M1.2 insides makes a great combination for me. The M5.3+17/1.8 is under 18.8 ounces! It’s only 1.9 oz. heavier than a Fuji X100V. I’ve had plenty of dings and dents in metal bodied cameras, so I’ll hold judgement on how well the polycarbonate body will endure.
It's bigger than a X100V though, especially the depth.
However for an interchangeable lens camera, the combo m43 body + 17f/1.8 is quite compact (and fun to use).

sgreszcz

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll be very interested in any other comparisons to GX85, as mine has the dreaded rear dial failure and am trying to decide if E-M5 iii would be best route to go. Would like a water resistant system. Looks like the EVF is much better?
I've got a GX85 and the E-M5iii viewfinder is _much_ better in my opinion, however not not nearly as good as the GH5 that I'm switching away from. One thing I don't like is that the EVF seems much "brighter" than what my eye is seeing so I need to find out how to calibrate it.

My E-510 is pretty much all 'plastic'. 13 years on and it still works perfectly. It remains the only camera I've ever dropped ...

My E-30 has a 'plastic' shell with metal chassis. Still fine after 11 years.

Hope that the E-M5 MkIII is just as robust.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I agree with OP for the most part. I tried one in hand and agreed that it just didn’t ”feel” like a $1K body. Had that been my only concern, I would have probably kept it and given it more time, but I also found it too small for my hands, and the rear dial seemed hard to operate for my fat thumb. The light weight certainly might still make it worth it for those that can find it comfortable to use. I’ve done a lot of trial and error lately with gear purchases. I think it’s time for me to be content!

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
Since I‘m considering an EM-5 Mark III, I’m really curious about longer term impressions of the plastic body people might have now, after owning it for a while?

Did you eventually come to like it, or maybe you stopped thinking about it, or maybe you still can’t get over it?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Since I‘m considering an EM-5 Mark III, I’m really curious about longer term impressions of the plastic body people might have now, after owning it for a while?

Did you eventually come to like it, or maybe you stopped thinking about it, or maybe you still can’t get over it?
I wouldn't say I've owned mine a long time, but I don't mind the build quality at all. Yeah, metal would be great, but this thing is so light that I can live with the trade. My only complaint was the thumb grip started to peel off, but I just glued it back down. Otherwise, no issues so far.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I’m really curious about longer term impressions of the plastic body people might have now, after owning it for a while?
I’ve only had the camera for a month, but I quickly forgot that the body is plastic. I upgraded to the E-M5iii from a metal body Pen-F, and I never really noticed any difference in “feel.” I’m sure that‘s partly because it’s pretty much the same size and weight as the Pen-F.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both the E-M5.1, E-M5.3 and the G80. I think they feel the same premium-wise :)
E-M5.1 is metal, but has flimsy dials, mushy buttons and the grippy part on front is not nice I think.
E-M5.3 is plastic but feels better overall with better dials and buttons.
G80 is great overall, I would say it is lighter than it looks like and that could maybe feel less premium. But I would say it is a good thing. E-M5 is more dense, small but heavy (=feels solid).

/edit: Ahh, I now noticed you wrote GX80! Not G80. Ok, well. I just sold my GX80. It feels great, not too plastic. But didn't like the EVF. Buttons can be difficult to find sometimes, especially with gloves. And the camera is solid, like a brick.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich

I liked it from the very start, so there was nothing to come to like or stop thinking about. It feels fine to me ( I was coming from an E-M10.2, but also have a Canon 60D and 80D DSLRs); in fact, its built-in grip is much better than my E-10.2. I do think some about the tripod socket issue, but I haven't had any trouble or worry when I've used it on a tripod for stuff like macro and table-top photos. When I get the Oly 100-400 lens, it has a tripod foot anyway, so nothing to worry there.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
Talk about coincidence. I was out yesterday shooting both the GX85 and the 5iii.

All the talk about plastic on the 5iii is interesting. It's not something I even think about when shooting. The biggest issue for me is whether it fits my hands, which it does quite well.

EVF is much better on the 5iii, as you might expect. Doesn't have the tilting feature, but that's not something I use very often.

I always feel like I'm squinting into the EVF on the GX85, even when I'm not. Maybe it's the size of the EVF aperture and the feeling like I'm looking into a tunnel.

Both cameras handle differently. GX85 with no grip doesn't give my right hand much purchase on the camera. No such problems with the 5iii. Admittedly the grip on the 5iii is not as deep as the grip on the EM-1 series, but it's enough for me.

My take: GX85 is a backup to the 5iii. Wouldn't be the first choice of the two in any situation I can imagine.

doady

Mu-43 Regular
My dad's old plastic Nikon F-501 probably feels more robust than my metal C-7070, that's why I tried not to make too big deal about the plastic of E-M5 III, so I was willing to try it out in the store. I didn't notice anything wrong with the "feel" of the body at the time, but I went with E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4 instead, mostly because that combo felt more balanced and comfortable than E-M5 III + 12-40mm F2.8. Maybe if 12-45mm F4 was available at the time, things would have been different.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
My dad's old plastic Nikon F-501 probably feels more robust than my metal C-7070, that's why I tried not to make too big deal about the plastic of E-M5 III, so I was willing to try it out in the store. I didn't notice anything wrong with the "feel" of the body at the time, but I went with E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4 instead, mostly because that combo felt more balanced and comfortable than E-M5 III + 12-40mm F2.8. Maybe if 12-45mm F4 was available at the time, things would have been different.
I just picked up a 12-45 to go with my EM5iii (they finally started seeing discounts), and they do seem well suited for each other.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla

I personally didn't like it. Feels strange in my hand IMHO. Prefer EM1 Mark II instead

I've had my EM5iii since the beginning of summer. I also have the EM5ii and the EM1ii. The polycarbonate body has never bothered me - it seems less "slippery" than my metal bodies. For me, other ergonomics aside, the polycarbonate actually seems easier to hold on to, and in that regard, I actually prefer it to the EM5ii.

It definitely does not feel like metal - surprise, surprise. If someone wants jewelry, look elsewhere.

With larger lenses, as others have said, I might prefer my EM1ii. But even then, if I'm hiking any distance, I wouldn't think twice about just taking the EM5iii.

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I have had all of the OMD except EM10 MKIII&IV, EM1 MI, and EM1X. The EM5 MKIII felt plastically at first. Now I don’t notice it a bit. What I do notice is how nice and light it is.

I've got the body since 1 year approx., coming from the E-M10 mk I, and at first I didn't like much the feeling of the plastic body.
I prefered the E-M5 mk II.
But I stopped thinking about it. I just enjoy using it.
That's not an issue - for me.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have had all of the OMD except EM10 MKIII&IV, EM1 MI, and EM1X. The EM5 MKIII felt plastically at first. Now I don’t notice it a bit. What I do notice is how nice and light it is.
I bought the E-m5 mark III in February but due to Covid, I haven't been doing much shooting.

I never really noticed the issue with 'plastic' body, but then I have used several different cameras over the years. If you don't like the feel, get a leather 1/2 case for it. I tend to put 1/2 cases on most of my gear (but different makers). I got the
The brown case feels nice in your hands. Amazon originally sent me the black case, and that one I hated (too smooth and ugly), but I returned it and they sent me the brown case. The leather neck strap that comes with the case I also like. I have mostly shot with it on since I got it, except for the interlude where I used the Fittest L bracket.
Now in terms of feel, if I'm going to be shooting with heavy lenses a lot, I probably would swap the case for the L bracket, because the L bracket adds a little depth under the camera. If I used the tripod more, and if I had Arca mounts instead of Manfrotto I would probably use the L in those cases also.

I do wish the tripod plate was a little more strengthened, since I used to like using the Peak Design Capture plate.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I've had a bunch of cameras in this thread (E-M5 original, E-M5.3, GX85), and yes, the INITIAL impressions of the 5.3 aren't the best. But, as soon as you start shooting, it's a non-issue. The 5.3 is superior to the GX85 in every way (better EVF, cleaner photos, higher MP, LiveComp, High Res, etc).

As for feel...I love the way my Pen F feels (the buttons, dials, and body are amazing!), but it's not as comfortable to handle as the E-M5.3 with its slight built-in grip.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom