I just received my E-M5 Mk III and...

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
Had a chance to unbox my new Mk III last night and quickly spend a few minutes with it. My initial reactions:
  • The camera really does feel like plastic! I hate to say it, but it doesn't feel terribly premium at "first grab". I think it's the darn cheap leatherette finish they use, especially (disappointingly) in the thumb rest. My Panasonic GX85 is also plastic, but it feels more dense somehow (even though both cameras are about the same weight).
  • Some people have commented that this doesn't matter, as the areas you hold onto are not normally metal. But you can tell. I picked up my old E-P1 and it still feels premium.
  • Aside from the plastic body, all controls are firm and tight. The weather-sealed buttons click firmly, not feeling "mushy" like my E-M5 Mk I. Even the battery door flicks open and shut with authority. The flip-out screen though looks cheaper than the flip-down screen of my Mk I.
  • The little bounce/swivel flash included is a marvel of design!
  • The vaunted "increased eye relief" is nice, but not as dramatic as I had hoped. On the other hand, the viewfinder seems to be "bigger" physically. I did not notice the slight drop in magnification.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'll repeat what others have already said: the E-M5 Mk III will thrill Olympus fans, but it may be a hard sell to newcomers to the system. Especially based on price and "first grab" impressions. It looks gorgeous and it's loaded with features, but it no longer gives the tactile sensation of a premium prosumer camera.

protapic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I'll be very interested in any other comparisons to GX85, as mine has the dreaded rear dial failure and am trying to decide if E-M5 iii would be best route to go. Would like a water resistant system. Looks like the EVF is much better?

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm, "dreaded rear dial failure"? I haven't heard of that before and thankfully mine is still working. But I'll admit that's the cheapest, flimsiest (aside from the battery door) part of the GX85.

The EVF on the GX85 is not that great. It's sharp and clear, but it does have the "tearing" effect when you pan. And the glass (plastic?) used in it is so cheap: I can see distortions when I just move my eye a bit. From my very brief test, the E-M5 Mk III EVF looks better. I'll do a more thorough comparison later.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
I remember when I got my Panasonic G5: I thought it felt sooooo plasticky. (Of course it did, it was a largely plastic body.)

Here's the thing though: as time went on and it delivered great photo after great photo, while being treated fairly roughly, the plastic nature of it stopped bothering me. I still found it to be an ugly camera, but I was very very happy with its ergonomics.

Give it a bit of time -- I suspect you'll get used to the feel. And it can't possibly feel as cheap as the G5.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I tend to not have issues with "plasticky" feel, but the one camera that felt flimsy to me was the GX85. If the E-M5mk3 is worse that's somewhat alarming.
I suppose everyone's opinion is different. To me, both cameras feel plasticky. But the GX85 still feels more dense for whatever reason--it's heavier than it looks. By comparison, the E-M5 Mk III is lighter than it looks. I guess it's because it dislike the "leatherette" finish. And they replaced the nice rubber surface of the thumb notch with this same cheap leatherette.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I remember when I got my Panasonic G5: I thought it felt sooooo plasticky. (Of course it did, it was a largely plastic body.)

Here's the thing though: as time went on and it delivered great photo after great photo, while being treated fairly roughly, the plastic nature of it stopped bothering me. I still found it to be an ugly camera, but I was very very happy with its ergonomics.

Give it a bit of time -- I suspect you'll get used to the feel. And it can't possibly feel as cheap as the G5.
Yes, I will get used to it. And I know it will produce gorgeous images, better than my original E-M5 Mk I. It's just the tactile sensation is somewhat disappointing for a $1300 camera. I still look longingly at the build quality of my old E-P1...

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I'll be very interested in any other comparisons to GX85, as mine has the dreaded rear dial failure and am trying to decide if E-M5 iii would be best route to go. Would like a water resistant system. Looks like the EVF is much better?
Sold my GX9 to buy this. I think it‘s a better camera for me. It’s actually a bit lighter than the GX9, but doesn’t feel cheap to me - I prefer the central EVF and I’m used to the Olympus menus and body UI. EVF seems about the same; I didn’t directly compare them before the GX9 left.

protapic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Hmm, "dreaded rear dial failure"? I haven't heard of that before and thankfully mine is still working. But I'll admit that's the cheapest, flimsiest (aside from the battery door) part of the GX85.
Basically, rotating the wheel does not change settings, and when it does work, it is random.
There are a number threads on the topic, two examples:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4383101

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4383497

I finally tired of work arounds (like using touch screen and quick menu) and ordered the replacement part from China for $17 or so (month wait now to get part), and hope that I am able to effect the repair myself. I have yet to find crystal clear instructions on how to do this, but have had luck doing repairs in general.....else, I may be in market for new camera sooner than later. One part of me wants a G9 for its better controls and EVF (and ability to work raw files with my copy of lightroom 6.14), and the other half wants E-M5 iii for its small size (I like small cameras).

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
Basically, rotating the wheel does not change settings, and when it does work, it is random.
There are a number threads on the topic, two examples:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4383101

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4383497

I finally tired of work arounds (like using touch screen and quick menu) and ordered the replacement part from China for $17 or so (month wait now to get part), and hope that I am able to effect the repair myself. I have yet to find crystal clear instructions on how to do this, but have had luck doing repairs in general.....else, I may be in market for new camera sooner than later. One part of me wants a G9 for its better controls and EVF (and ability to work raw files with my copy of lightroom 6.14), and the other half wants E-M5 iii for its small size (I like small cameras).
Wow. You'd have to be really confident of yourself to attempt to pull a camera apart...

I considered the G9 briefly after its huge discount a few months ago. But the camera is massive! I just can't bear the thought of an m4/3 camera the size of a full-frame... However, I read that the EVF in the G9 is one of the best.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Had a chance to unbox my new Mk III last night and quickly spend a few minutes with it. My initial reactions:
  • The camera really does feel like plastic! I hate to say it, but it doesn't feel terribly premium at "first grab". I think it's the darn cheap leatherette finish they use, especially (disappointingly) in the thumb rest. My Panasonic GX85 is also plastic, but it feels more dense somehow (even though both cameras are about the same weight).
  • Some people have commented that this doesn't matter, as the areas you hold onto are not normally metal. But you can tell. I picked up my old E-P1 and it still feels premium.
  • Aside from the plastic body, all controls are firm and tight. The weather-sealed buttons click firmly, not feeling "mushy" like my E-M5 Mk I. Even the battery door flicks open and shut with authority. The flip-out screen though looks cheaper than the flip-down screen of my Mk I.
  • The vaunted "increased eye relief" is nice, but not as dramatic as I had hoped. On the other hand, the viewfinder seems to be "bigger" physically. I did not notice the slight drop in magnification.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'll repeat what others have already said: the E-M5 Mk III will thrill Olympus fans, but it may be a hard sell to newcomers to the system. Especially based on price and "first grab" impressions. It looks gorgeous and it's loaded with features, but it no longer gives the tactile sensation of a premium prosumer camera.
I played with the E-M5iii on a recent pilgrimage to B&H. My initial reactions were the same. It's the first OMD body I've handled (including the E-M10 range) where I was disappointed with the feel. Felt cheap and unworthy of its price tag. I'm sure it'll deliver great results though, and I suspect it'll be more than robust enough (except for the failing base plate :)), but on a "gut feel" level, it doesn't work for me.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Gx85 probably feels heavy because of its heat sync (it feels almost as heavy as my larger Gx8), but its a greatly little camera. I have the 3 bears when it comes to camera sizes. I too like small cameras and will see how the Gx10 compares to the OMD5 III when looking for a Gx85 replacement. BUT if I only had one camera, especially at the price, a G9 with the latest firmware is one fine camera, and its a perfect match for my PL100-40 and 12-35.

Real Name
Siegfried
Must say reading about the plastic feel really hurts.... 😤

I loved my original EM5 and still have a MKII. I hate the way the MKII loose its paint on its metal body, especially the silver models. All said the MKII has that premium feel you refer to and that is so nice in terms of the full experience with the camera. Each time you pick it up it starts all over again....what a great feel.

I cannot help to ask.... Mr Olympus I understand everything about cost/profitability & future and I really trying hard.....but why did you not just used the existing EM5 MKII body, you had the tooling and everything, no need to invest in all that goes into having a new plastic body?

I guess at the end of the day it's that fine balance between keeping bean counters at bay when the men is working.....

M 2 cents

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Must say reading about the plastic feel really hurts.... 😤

I loved my original EM5 and still have a MKII. I hate the way the MKII loose its paint on its metal body, especially the silver models. All said the MKII has that premium feel you refer to and that is so nice in terms of the full experience with the camera. Each time you pick it up it starts all over again....what a great feel.

I cannot help to ask.... Mr Olympus I understand everything about cost/profitability & future and I really trying hard.....but why did you not just used the existing EM5 MKII body, you had the tooling and everything, no need to invest in all that goes into having a new plastic body?

I guess at the end of the day it's that fine balance between keeping bean counters at bay when the men is working.....

M 2 cents
Good idea since Olympus using almost the same existing EM1 II body template for EM1 III and EM1 II's Vertical Grip also can be use for EM1 III too.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
Well, gee, that's an easy question to answer - the WEIGHT. I LIKE the fact that the E-M5III weighs less than it would with a metal body. Plus, I like the fatter grip on the E-M5III and think it is just about perfect (at least with smaller lenses). If you want a heavier metal body, get an E-M1III (assuming that the latest still has a metal body). Different strokes for different folks, of course.

Also, I think I'd rather have a body that keeps its paint in place than losing it as you say the metal one does.

As far as the "plastic" feel, it is much less than say a lower-end Canon DSLR (e.g. T5i or SL2). My advice - forget about it and enjoy the camera. :)

If Oly could have kept the same body... I think they would have, it would have been cheaper for them.
The mkIII is bigger than the mkII... they probably needed this extra space.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom