Had a chance to unbox my new Mk III last night and quickly spend a few minutes with it. My initial reactions:
- The camera really does feel like plastic! I hate to say it, but it doesn't feel terribly premium at "first grab". I think it's the darn cheap leatherette finish they use, especially (disappointingly) in the thumb rest. My Panasonic GX85 is also plastic, but it feels more dense somehow (even though both cameras are about the same weight).
- Some people have commented that this doesn't matter, as the areas you hold onto are not normally metal. But you can tell. I picked up my old E-P1 and it still feels premium.
- Aside from the plastic body, all controls are firm and tight. The weather-sealed buttons click firmly, not feeling "mushy" like my E-M5 Mk I. Even the battery door flicks open and shut with authority. The flip-out screen though looks cheaper than the flip-down screen of my Mk I.
- The little bounce/swivel flash included is a marvel of design!
- The vaunted "increased eye relief" is nice, but not as dramatic as I had hoped. On the other hand, the viewfinder seems to be "bigger" physically. I did not notice the slight drop in magnification.