I just ordered my first Pro Zoom ever! The Olympus m.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The story behind this is on my other thread...

I ordered a cheap Panasonic Lumix GF2 for my wife for Christmas.
    I also ordered a Sigma 19 f2.8 to go with her camera. The store where I ordered the Sigma contacted me, after I payed for it, that they don´t have it. I'll get a refund of course.

On this point major GAS hit me. I´ve been wondering about Sony A7 full frame system too lately.

Then these thought hit me:

- What if I give my wife my Sigma 30 f2.8 and m.Zuiko 12-50; then she´ll have a prime and a zoom to go with her camera.
    I need something to take place for the two lenses and on the same time strengthen my commitment to m4/3.

- In one lens I can have both weather sealing and f2.8...

Well, this time I surrendered to major GAS... My first Pro Zoom ever is coming to me...

I believe that this will help me to also save money in the long run; now I definitely won't jump to another system!

My GAS has turned to calmness instead... Awaiting the coming lens :smile:
  2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I have to admit I am a bit confused.....

I am not sure whether to file this under the ....
    a) Give my GF a couple of my old lenses and then say I need to buy a pro zoom to replace them

b) Tell the girlfriend I need to buy a full frame Sony A7r with a Zeiss zoom and then bank on her relief when I say I have settled for an Olympus zoom instead
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    One of my favorite things about :43: is the ability to afford better lenses than I could with my Canon gear. I tend to prefer fast primes rather than zooms, :43: allows me to carry two bodies with different lenses mounted. I can't see myself ever going back.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Maybe option b) :biggrin:

And of course settling my own confusion... Now I have definitely chosen the m4/3 path for some years to come.
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Wait that sounds like option c) Tell the GF I need a new Pro Zoom for my system BUT the good news is that this means I will remain committed to this system for the foreseeable future (at least 2 weeks).
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm always amused when someone thinks the purchase of one thing will somehow satisfy their desire to buy something else. In reality it does, just not for long.
  7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Ahhh...spending money to save money! Enjoy the new lens, I'd love to have one, and I'd probably save money by just having that lens as well!
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Substitute 'Nikon' for 'Canon' and I agree with your first statement. I also agree about two bodies but I'm thinking an E-M5 with a couple of zooms and then go really small, like a GM-1 with a couple of fast primes for a compact carry sounds nice (if I ever win a lottery).
    • Like Like x 1