1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I just know I'll regret this question...But, Here it is!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dalton, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I am ready to place my order for the Olympus E-P5 kit with the 17mm (which I will then sell cheap because I am already covered for that focal length) and the VF-4 (which I will keep).

My thinking is this...I am possibly losing my mind and considering getting a Fuji XE-1 with the 18-55 f2.8 instead. I already have an E-PL5 with several high end M43 primes. I am not unhappy with the IQ I am seeing from my current setup. I like the idea of having the Oly OOC jpegs which are still excellent. I like the new wifi, pinpoint focus points, focus peaking, horizon indicators, VF-4 (apparently, according to early reports) best in class viewfinder, added wheel controls, and more that the E-P5 is offering.

I apologize for asking about the Fuji XE-1 comparison since it has been discussed in many previous threads. But the E-P5 is the new kid on the block. So...what are your thoughts?:help:

Dan
    Portland, Oregon

2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    So if you have great lenses for m43 already, you like the features and image quality from the EP5, why are you even considering the Fuji? Is it a grass is greener kinda thing?

3. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Insanity defense...

Maybe greener is a good characterization of my personal "issues." I have seen some of the nice images from the Fuji and kind of like the overall tonal quality. I am not unhappy with my Oly setup. There is just something in many of the Fuji images that looks attractive to me.

I think back and forth about having the option of a two system setup but, the Fujis appear to have some real issues with response times in in camera file processing and slow focus response. I then wonder if the Fuji will really give enough of a difference in image output to justify having another option available.

Dan

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    After all that has been (hotly) discussed on this topic, my suggestion is you have to try it. Only you can decide. :wink:

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Dan

can you be sure that the 'tonal quality' of the Fujiis down to the camera and not the photographer and the processing? ... its kind of difficult to make a judgement without understanding what it is you are seeing in the fuji files that are lacking in the epl5.

to me running two such similar systems seems a waste of money... stick with one or the other and learn to get the best out of it...

just my opinion

K

6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Valid points you have there...

That is another valid take on this. If I want a different look to my images in general, why don't I simply work with some different RAW processing methods or in camera settings and achieve a similar "look" with that process?

I should probably just order the Olympus kit and return to some sense of sanity.
    Sheesh!
    Dan
    Portland, Oregon

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Perhaps wait and see if the GX2 is all that it's cracked up to be (integrated EVF, IBIS, etc) :smile:

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Fuji is supposed to make some announcements on the 25th, so if you are seriously considering switching I'd wait to see what is coming out. A new entry level camera is rumored, smaller and cheaper than the XE-1. Fuji Rumors

9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I can sympathise - I've been over the dilemma of Oly 75mm or X-E1 & 18-55mm for a couple of weeks now!! Logic appears to go out the window at times..... unless you're a Pro, two camera systems is just silly; and if you are a Pro, two camera systems is just plain silly.... :D

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    No.... don't wait... if you go down that route you will never be satisfied... there is always something 'better' on the horizon... and truth be told they are almost always just an incremental step up from what exists now.

Until your capability/expectations as a photographer exceeds the capability of your camera/system, there is no compelling photographic reason to constantly be looking to switch to something else.

well thats the case for me... your needs may be different

K

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    an odd set of choices.... personally I would sell my grannie for the 75 if I didn't already have it :)

K

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand the lure of the Fuji. But, with both a Pentax DSLR kit and a micro four-thirds kit, I have been resisting. I am honest with myself: If I bought a Fuji, it would be strictly a luxury purchase. I've thought about the improved X100s. That would make sense for me because it's a single camera with a fixed lens. I wouldn't be buying into yet another system. But if Fuji brings out another ILC below the X-E1, I'll consider it. Or perhaps an X-E1 on closeout. But I suggest that Dan strongly consider taking full advantage of the micro four-thirds system as long as he already has the lenses.

13. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    And if image quality is the ultimate concern, going from your EPL5 to the EP5 should be negligible, as they both use the same sensor.

14. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Ohhh the 75mm Oly...

I have the 75mm and it will be better than you think it will be. Waaaaay better.

And you have a point about owning two systems that are as similar as the Oly and Fuji systems are.

I love this forum! It is sooooo much better than the nonsense I have seen over at what used to be somewhat useful at DPReview.

I appreciate the candid comments and suggestions from forum members.

Dan
    Portland, Oregon

15. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Kevin.....it's what comes of reading the Fuji threads on this forum.... luckily the madness has now subsided.... just as well I'm not super-impulsive or I'd be sitting with 15 cameras, a plethora of lenses, and no food in the fridge... :biggrin:

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Dan... I share in your considerations on adding Fuji. I decided to try the system out, given the incredibly low pricing on the lenses right now. I haven't had the time to vet the system as well as I would like, but have had some experience shooting it. My conclusion is that its a great system, the lenses are awesome, the IQ is excellent, the AF is slow and tedious... all things that are commonly read comments. Is the IQ dramatically better than the best m4/3 has to offer? No, it isn't, though it is slightly better -as you would expect- given the larger sensor size, lack of AA filter, and the great quality of the Fuji lenses. I think in another year or so, Fuji will likely have improved the bodies and the AF even more, and added more lenses, and at that time I may revisit the option again.

I would keep the Fuji system if the $3k I have into it wasn't wanted to expand my m4/3 gear more.

As I consider the cost of being in this system vs using the same funds to acquire another couple of bodies and lenses for my m4/3 system, I think I'm going to go with further expanding my m4/3 gear and add a Nikon A (APS fixed lens camera) instead of keeping the Fuji. I'm down to just an E-M5 now for bodies in m4/3 and want to add an E-P5, VF4, E-PM2, 17/1.8, and 35-100. Giving up the Fuji gear will do that for me, so that's what I want to do.

Only you can decide what gear is going to meet your individual needs the best. I do agree with the others that fleshing out a system that could benefit from that is usually better than adding a second system, unless adding the second system meets an important need that would otherwise go unmet.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Let's stop and consider this for a second.

m43, with it's tiny wee little sensor. The system many people around the internet consider sub-par, and disparage (seen it on DPR, Fred Miranda and, yes, even here). This under-marketed system brought to you by the supposedly keystone cops (Oly and Panny) who couldn't manage themselves out of a paperbag and, according to various market statistics and Thom Hogan, is dying, shrinking or has some tiny little inconsequential market share. This worthless little system has IQ that comes very, very close to one of the very best APS-C systems on the planet. And sure, when compared to the best FF, the IQ might lag, but then compare the lens sizes of m43 to FF, and there is no contest.

It's the freakin' little engine that could and, IMO, it deserves a lot more respect than it gets from the general public. If Oly and Panny ever stopped making these, it would be the very best camera system that very few people ever tried, and it would be a damn shame.

(feel free to hum The Battle Hymn of the Republic while reading)

18. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    O.K....O.K...

Alright already...I'm buying the E-P5 kit...(It was the choir voices singing the hymn that got to me...)
    Now....time to go out and find some trampled grapes (and maybe a terrible swift sword or two...) to photograph and archive for the annals of M43 history...

I'm not going to be debating you anytime soon about the merits of any particular photo gear system or anything else for that matter.

Dan
    Portland, Oregon

19. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I personally would opt for the XE-1 as opposed to waiting for the new "entry level" x model. One thing is that no one is sure that it will have the same x-trans sensor as the x-e1, x-pro1 and x100s.... it'll be an x mount to support the lenses, I think that's a given. The deals on the x-e1 are absolutely absurd at the moment and if you opt for the lenses, the rebates make it a bargain. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the system all together with its IQ and low light capability. AF performance may not measure up to the m 4/3 realm but for me, it makes me think of my shot more and makes photography all that more enjoyable. just my .02

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    After many years of hearing (on this forum and elsewhere) that one of the major drawbacks of the :43: system was poor AF performance (in comparison to that of SLRs), I find it interesting that AF performance is now considered a strength of this system.

No judgement (and by all accounts this is true in comparison to the Fuji system), just a random thought I had upon reading your post.