1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I just got a brand new GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by biza48, Oct 1, 2014.

1. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    I wanted a new camera for really travelling light, and considered the GM series, but... the GM1 is just too small and thus cumbersome (to me) to handle... the GM5 will be a bit bigger and probably ok, but too expensive...

Enter the GX1, found one in a shop that has been probably sitting on the shelf for at least 2 years, at a very good price, with the kit PZ lens. This thing has a nice feeling, like the GF1 that I used back in 2010, with the advantage of better sensor. Sold the kit lens and bought the 12-32 zoom.

Quite happy with the combo, sometimes the latest and greatest is just a waste...

• Like Like x 6
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have a GX1 that I use all the time. Quite happy with the output. The important this is that the tool is doing the job. :)

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Enjoy it, I love mine.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My GX1 is my only interchangeable lens camera right now, though I have a chance to use my girlfriend's Samsung NX210 that I got her now and then. It's a great camera with just a few faults.

Mostly I just wish I had focus peaking (and an EVF, I guess), but the touch-screen + magnification mode is astonishingly good. If it had a higher resolution rear screen for the picture-in-picture, I probably wouldn't even need focus peaking.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think mu43 made a huge step with these 16 mp sensors. There is a level of image performance that meets the expectations of many enthusiasts. This makes a nice market of discounted older models that perform essentially as well as the newer ones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The LVF2 is a fantastic addition if you feel like having a viewfinder. Also, there is a well-reported problem with the LCD screens delaminating, where the outermost layer wears off, which I think has accentuated with time (it has happened to mine). I'd recommend a good screen protector to minimize the chance of that happening. My screen currently looks very ugly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Congratulations, biza48! It's truly an outstanding and - these days, at least - underrated camera. I bought mine as a small back-up/2nd body to my GX7 but have wound up using it almost as much as the GX7. Its portability and quality are both huge pluses. But for me, it just 'feels' like a solid, well-built camera. I'll echo agentlossing's comment recommending the LVF2 (external EVF) viewfinder as a fantastic addition. Most LCD-only digital cameras are close to impossible to use when the rear screen washes out in bright sunlight - but the LVF2 solves this problem in spades. It also seems to give the whole package a more balanced feeling for shooting.

A final recommendation if you don't have any/of them yet - the GX1 mates beautifully with several of the tiny 'panacke' micro 4/3 lenses. I've used the 14mm Panasonic extensively with my GX1, and it makes for a very tiny (physical) package. The 20mm is also a worthy GX1 lens to own. And, in spite of its poor reputation, so is the slowed Panasonic 17mm lens - which I had a fabulous 'copy' of for awhile.

All in all, it's a tremendous little camera. Have fun putting it through its paces!

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Late to the party, but I too love the GX1, owning and using several of them. I don't plan to change to a new/different body for a while.

Congratulations on finding a new one sitting on the shelf! :smile:

9. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I bought a used one back on late 2013 as a back up body and light travel camera.
    I'm very happy with the quality (most of the time I can't see any difference from my more recent G5). The IQ from RAW files is very good.
    I don't use the kit lens. It is a perfect camera match for my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 or Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 prime lens.
    The screen is still OK and no signs of screen delaminating. I use a screen protector (don't know if the previous owner did the same).
    I've also the LVF2 viewfinder and was one of my best purchases because it's so much easier to shot during bright sunlight.
    It is a very robust camera and feel very solid. The metallic buttons are a big plus.

10. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    I was wondering did you noticed any difference in print between the GX7 files and the GX1? I mean in daily practice, no pixel peeping. . .

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I use both , well, not so much Gx1 now if I can and I can tell you that Gx7 is a major step forward , especially with high ISO and colors in general . Colors are more pleasant . High ISO is smoother and less rough. Video in low light is much much better. Shutter is softer , so less shutter shock plus you get stabilization for your primes.
    The only downside compared to Gx1 is somewhat worse built-in microphone (or audio processing) sound stage feels narrower.

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    x2

Compact, quality form and function...

Not perfect,but damn good. :smile:

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    One thing I like about the GX1 is how good the noise looks, oddly enough. More like film grain than the newest m4/3 sensors, and really adds a nice texture in a lot of situations.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, I think the GX1 has very pleasing noise characteristics for the most part. The lack of dynamic range is a bit bothersome, but the sensor otherwise holds up quite well, even to ISO 3200 in most circumstances.

On the other hand, the screen on my GX1 has already begun delaminating a bit after just over a year, which is pretty disappointing. I only paid about $250 for it after selling the kit lens, but if I'd paid original retail price I'd be upset.

15. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I think it is still a very good camera, but somehow after 2 years of use the LCD screen looks funny when off. Not that its much of a problem when its on, but it just looks worn out now. But that is just its external appearance.

I now use a GX-7 and even though I prefer its IQ over the that of the GX-1, I still think the GX-1 is pretty good.

An external EVF is an absolute must and with 14mm prime lens mounted it is a seriously small high IQ package that fits into most trouser pockets. Some samples from an "outdated" camera.

15695677871_19dcd5a3fd_b.

15225964358_12113d5309_b.

14681448420_1b505015b0_b.

• Like Like x 1
  16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think you're describing the initial signs of delaminating. I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse over time. The anti-glare coating on the LCD just doesn't stand the test of time it seems.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Interesting, I've had zero screen problem, delaminating or anything... But I've also put a screen protector on every LCD, immediately.