I just did a fake shot!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jyc860923, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川

PB130646_stitch_DxO by jyc860923, on Flickr

this one is done with sigma 19 on epl5, 12 shots stitched

the FOV and perspective is fake, the sky is fake, needless to mention the film simulation, I've never done anything as fake as this:eek:mg:

edit: a real question I've been trying to figure out is, just how wide is good enough for me? I've sold my 28mm equiv. for a while as I thought I wouldn't miss WA so much, but I'm now thinking about getting the 12-32 when it gets cheap, or the 9-18.

• Like Like x 3
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    The fake sky looks very natural. Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    DxO stitches? If not, what did you use for stitching? Cool shot, would never have known it was fake had you not told us! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    smeared:tongue:

No I had to use several tools. For stitching the Microsoft ICE is my favourite and it's free; DxO for film simulation, and a few more to make a fake look real :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Wow! 非常好, I would've never known!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What a horrible evil person you are ... please post more!

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The thing that really gives it away are the reflections in the water - they don't mirror the perspective of the buildings that they are reflecting. :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have been thinking about this idea a lot recently. I only started post processing about 18 months ago and started using PS about 8 months ago. Now my photos are becoming increasingly fake and I find myself shooting often simply to create 'fake' photos. I am even getting to the stage that there are hardly any pixels in a photo that arent fake.

Here is one from the weekend.

Original raw...

fake_1_of_2_.

final photo....

fake_2_of_2_.

• Like Like x 3
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha well done! I had no idea when I saw those originally, thought you shot in an abandoned warehouse or something. It's probably worth mentioning that when posting in forums such as this, since we're looking for ways to improve and would like to know about special location, lighting, PP, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    but they should, don't know what caused this

11. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    hence comes "You don't take a photograph, you make it"? haha

this is a great idea and you fake is brilliant, I realise this is just too hard for me, and beautiful model!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What is your end goal? These look great, amd I am sure the girl/balloon one could be purchase-able. But that doesnt mean anything if the reason you (personally) take photos is to document how it "was/is". Overall, I feel that the level of post-processing is akin to religion. Everyone has an idea of what is right, some are more vocal than others. If taking/editing the picture makes you happy (or for the professionals, puts food on the table), you are doing something right. From my own perspective, I enjoy viewing these pictures, and appreciate seeing the transformation and the fact people are forthcoming about their goal/method. Not something I see myself doing, but shouldnt stop someone else from it.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well this is the point where you say something like 'post processing is just another tool' but you are right it is more of a 'religion'. I really like the 'documenting' aspect of photos - there is something quite exciting in being in exactly the right place at the right time.

6 weeks ago I took this photo - it is NOT a FAKE - in fact I dont even think it is cropped at all (certainly not more than 10%).

moonrise_1_of_1_.

Now it would have been ludicrously simple to make a fake of this photo but it just wouldnt have been the same.

Even with the earlier photo, I didnt set out to make a fake. I just started moving things about to give a better composition, adding some texture to add character, threw in some graffiti to tell a story and before long you do end up with some thing that is inherently a fake. But I did at least take a photo of a girl in a deserted office block.

I guess when it comes to the 'religion' I am far more of a 'believer' than I once was. I do find that it adds to my creative options. 9 months ago is I took a photo of a landscape and there was a mobile telephone tower ruining the shot, I would have recomposed and shot a different angle. Now I just think 'that can come out in post'.

And really I wonder if what I am doing is really any different from adding Nik's analogue efex filters to give a grungy instagram look or possibly even black and white which is providing a very different recording of what we actually see.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sorry if I came across wrong, what I meant was the level of post processing you choose to do could be compared the level of religious beliefs you have, and there are about as many different beliefs of why in both categories. Generic you, not any poster in particular.

15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Stitching photos taken with identical settings at the same time/location shouldn't produce fake FOV or perspective. It merely gives a wider FOV than the lens system in place at the time of the shot. (Though it may introduce distortions). Did you do anything special to make this bit 'fake' such as shooting diferent bits at different focal lengths? (I'd expect that to make stitching more difficult but the fake sky could hide it.)

I don't consider, panoramic stitching, HDR, focus stacking, noise averaging techniques to be faking (at least if they're used normaly, to photograph the same scene at the same time) though some cvan give very fake looking effects. Cloning out or adding objects (other than sensor muck/hot pixels) on the other hand is IMO fake, I've done it myself occasionaly, but certainly not to extent many photo magazines seem to suggest. Mind you I've nothing against fakery when it's openly disclosed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You make this subject seem so 'black and white' when I dont think it is. For instance, is touching up someone's skin 'fake' - maybe? But as I have added 'lots of contrast' 'high pass filter' 'colorization' to the above photo, if I dont smooth out her skin, all the details will show through and make her look fake?

Then again if you take 'the girl with the balloon' as about the only constant in the photo - I have slimmed her waist, changed her head angle, moved her feet together, moved her closer to the ladder, lowered the balloon. So that half my processing is to preserve her natural looks and half to change them.

To some extent every photo of every model in every magazine is fake. Admittedly, some more than others as this glorious photo of Naomi Campbell on the front cover of the local edition of Vogue shows!

Naomi-Campbell-Vogue-Thailand-M.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Mike

I always use Microsoft ICE for stitching, and it has the perspective options which I prefer to use sometimes. in this case it worked as expected.